• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

KY to AZ

PastorofMuppets

Cubic Zirconia Club
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hello all, I will be traveling from Western KY to Flagstaff, AZ for Masters Worlds this year built in several days prior to and after into my vacation to bag some courses along the way. I'm looking for recommendations for both courses that are must play and locations to park/camp for the night. *(I'm only taking my truck and tent camping or sleeping in the truck on this one) Planning to break the trip up into 3 days of driving and playing courses both ways. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My route will take me along the following route:
I-60 through Southern Missouri from Sikeston to Joplin
I-44 down through Oklahoma City, OK
I-40 through Amarillo, TX and through Alberqueque, NM and eventually into Flagstaff

i would drive out of my way for branson blue in southern mo

the courses in joplin suck

the rest i have no voice on

Arizona:

If you get a chance, these are courses outside of Flagstaff that I would recommend.

Prescott: Watson Lake Disc Golf Course ($3 fee to enter the park, except on Wednesdays when it is free). If you are going to play here, there's a Prescott Disc Golf Club Facebook page. The people are friendly and if they are available, would be able to show you around the course.
The valley - Scottsdale: Vista Del Camino. This is where the Memorial is held. Spinners on the Green Disc Golf Store is nearby. The regular layout isn't the one used for the Memorial, but it is enjoyable.

Bonus...Fountain Hills. The other course used for the Memorial. I don't recommend it, unless you really want to bag it. It can get crowded with sight-seers/park-goers and many times folks are picnicking right in the fairway or at the basket. When the fountain is going off, there are usually folks standing in the fairway watching it or getting photos. Many times I've had to let people know they were on a disc golf course and politely ask them to move (or if they won't.....have them watch out for my disc. Or I've even skipped holes because of sight-seers).

There is a cluster of courses around Ruidoso NM (Grindstone Park, etc.) that I wanted to play but didn't get to. Perhaps you can play them for me. ;)

Show Low DGC was fun. We saw a herd of elk. There is a video of Paul Ulibarri playing it with his mom. :)

If you stop in Albuquerque Brent Baca is a pretty unique course. Pretty flat but neat Mad Max style structures in the desert. Made an impression on me as I still think about a dozen years later.

Latest posts