• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chasing 330' - Developing a form

Note how your rear knee leaks behind your ankle and tips you over targetward. Note how my rear knee stays inside my ankle turning my rear hip back while making the forward move targetward underneath my upper body.

You are also landing flat on your front heel instead of landing/catching yourself on toes first. Part of the reason is you are striding too leftward to land on your toes. If you are going to stride diagonal leftward then your backswing should also move you back diagonal toward right tee side. You just turn back in place and then go leftward.

attachment.php

You plant really awkward, like you extend your knee and dorsiflex the foot going into the plant so I think your vertical force is happening before your horizontal and rotational forces. Need to catch yourself horizontally on your toes first plantar flexed, then let the heel down like walking down the stairs slightly closed. The leg dingles/dangles/hangs relaxed/extended going down the stairs and flexes/compresses slightly on landing to smoothly break the fall and control and pump the redirection.

One Leg Drill or Elephant Walk Drill.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136487

Standstill Figure 8.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134177

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.51.35 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.51.35 PM copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 30
Note how your rear knee leaks behind your ankle and tips you over targetward. Note how my rear knee stays inside my ankle turning my rear hip back while making the forward move targetward underneath my upper body.

You are also landing flat on your front heel instead of landing/catching yourself on toes first. Part of the reason is you are striding too leftward to land on your toes. If you are going to stride diagonal leftward then your backswing should also move you back diagonal toward right tee side. You just turn back in place and then go leftward.

Guess my lower body mechanics suffered a bit while working on upper body mechanics. Basically back a few pages. Not keeping it very compact.

I like the wider reach back but I think it makes me want to stride more diagonally. Feels awkward trying to correct it as well with the pendulum back swing going wider. You're saying the back swing should be moving me more on the right side. Does this mean diagonal stride and wide rail is incompatible?

I'm also a bit wheel legged. Standing straight up my knees aren't over my feet but a foots width on either side. Not sure if that matters footage/form wise.

Thanks for the continued help!
Great work on your new YouTube videos.

I like the wider reach back but I think it makes me want to stride more diagonally. Feels awkward trying to correct it as well with the pendulum back swing going wider. You're saying the back swing should be moving me more on the right side. Does this mean diagonal stride and wide rail is incompatible?
IMO ideally the foot and disc swing down the same path, the foot leads or pulls it. Throwing anhyzer or hyzer-flip foot and disc swing \ down tee pad, throwing hyzer foot and disc swing / down tee pad. It is still "wide rail" either way because it's all relative to the trajectory. If you try and keep the disc wide toward left tee you will saw off the backswing for any kind of distance throw and typically hook/pull it onto accidental hyzer or griplock.

[COLOR=var(--text)]Been on a bit of a hiatus on serious form work with moving and other excuses... Still kept up with content but I've made the mistake of going by feel not video. [/COLOR]

I've been drilling lately though. Found the Shaolin videos to be a great swing cue.

Today I worked on not tipping behind my back leg during the coil and forgot about everything else so it looks like I'm pulling with my shoulder.

What I'm mostly curious about in this clip though is if I'm blowing past the plant? Or if I'm even planting?

I think my knee looks a bit wonky going into it...

(Sorry about the video being vertical with obstructions)

Attachments

• PXL_20240529_190552944~2.mp4
    7 MB
Keep in mind that I'm no coach and sw or Bryc will go more in-depth with it. Here is what I see:

- You're "rising" up through your plant instead of sitting into it l. Watch a slowmotion of Simon and look how he sits into it and only rise up when the disc is long gone. (And end up balanced on the front leg/hip).

- i really dont like that your front foot doesnt pivot a tad earlier. It looks like a recipe for an injury. You could potentially blow out your knee at some point.

- even though your front foot plants closed (ISH), it looks like your knee opens up and youre stuck in horse stance, instead of shifting from behind (buttwipe drill). Not sure if SW would agree though.

- there is some basic posture issues too, but I'm not one to say anything about posture, because mine sucks lol

Crush the can, buttwipe drill, hershyzer or trebuchets one leg drills could be a good place to start!

Good luck man! Glad to see you back on this forum! ☺️

Keep in mind that I'm no coach and sw or Bryc will go more in-depth with it. Here is what I see:

- You're "rising" up through your plant instead of sitting into it l. Watch a slowmotion of Simon and look how he sits into it and only rise up when the disc is long gone. (And end up balanced on the front leg/hip).

- i really dont like that your front foot doesnt pivot a tad earlier. It looks like a recipe for an injury. You could potentially blow out your knee at some point.

- even though your front foot plants closed (ISH), it looks like your knee opens up and youre stuck in horse stance, instead of shifting from behind (buttwipe drill). Not sure if SW would agree though.

- there is some basic posture issues too, but I'm not one to say anything about posture, because mine sucks lol

Crush the can, buttwipe drill, hershyzer or trebuchets one leg drills could be a good place to start!

Good luck man! Glad to see you back on this forum! ☺️

Thanks man! Good to be back :)

I'll revisit these drills. I'm not even sure I've ever wiped my butt on these new walls!
What's the difference between Trebuchet OLD and SWs?

Posture is very difficult!! Standing tall vs hip hinge butt out. Coil but don't rotate.. well not not rotate, but rotate because you have no choice because of that linear thing you just did out-in-out. Baby steps though. Love the little light bulb moments along the way, though a lot of them are false prophecies.

So I've been bruising my hip against a concrete wall doing Hershyzers.
Going by the clip above it looks to me like I'm already leading with my butt during the x-step, but once my instep hits the ground my knee starts gliding over where I should continue to "fall" into my brace?

Attachments

• hershyzer.jpg
    hershyzer.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
So I've been bruising my hip against a concrete wall doing Hershyzers.
Going by the clip above it looks to me like I'm already leading with my butt during the x-step, but once my instep hits the ground my knee starts gliding over where I should continue to "fall" into my brace?
Don't over do it. If you don't feel something different or click within a few(10-20) attempts of a drill, then move onto a different drill or re-evaluate posture/balance.

You are very pelvis open going into the x-step and then trying to turn back very late. Like your x-step is all twisted/kinked up instead of being more relaxed and fluid with pelvis closed and stepping behind easy.

You also appear too staggered closed and not landing inline stacked to front leg to head.

Don't over do it. If you don't feel something different or click within a few(10-20) attempts of a drill, then move onto a different drill or re-evaluate posture/balance.

You are very pelvis open going into the x-step and then trying to turn back very late. Like your x-step is all twisted/kinked up instead of being more relaxed and fluid with pelvis closed and stepping behind easy.

You also appear too staggered closed and not landing inline stacked to front leg to head.

Doh! I've been deliberately trying to delay the reach back for some time now to stop me from walking backwards into the x-step. Twisted and kinked up is what I was looking for! 😂

I've drilled swivel stairs before, but with the pelvis cue I understand it more.

Doing some slow practice swings allowing myself to walk into the x-step closed made it easier to step in-line, and I didn't do the shoulder jerk thing. No disc in hand though, so hope it translates.

Should I still sync the reach back with my leading foot? Opposites and all?

Thank you sensei!

Latest posts