• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheater at an Ace Race?

moskeybobo

Par Member
I recently found out from playing with a random that it is supposedly common knowledge that the person who the the Ace Race cheated with other members of his group. As the person who placed second this didn't sit well with me. I am new to town and even newer to this club, Not sure how I should approach the situation. This was reinforced by rumors that he tried to do the same thing at the most recent tourney. Should i just put it on blast on the local FB group?

Nothing really, i mean there was a prize pack but i dont care about that at this point. Its the fact that to me thats not what disc golf is about at all and it hurts the sport and more importantly its going to hurt that club. And also the fact that its not a one time thing. I dont care about getting the first place near as much as i can about the ethics of it. The second person that told me of the situation has only been playing for 3 months and i think thats a shitty thing you hear about a sport you are just starting to really enjoy.

Given how you feel, I would bring it up to the TD and have others come forward as well to support your claims. Make it about the sport, like the way you seem to feel, and it won't seem so harsh or critical of their ability to judge contests.

Cheaters are sad and pathetic. The problem with ignoring them is if they start to "win" other people's money. Then it it is even worse than cheating which can be penalized harder than with a courtesy violation. For prevention of future unsportsmanlike conduct each of the cheaters need to be confronted and penalized. The td is the one in charge of further actions. Pdga is the next level if those guys are members.

In our sport a cheater is someone who breaks the rules INTENTIONALLY to gain a competitive advantage. Be very careful tossing that accusation around. If you didn't personally witness it then you are not the person who should make the claim. Even if you saw something you should talk to the person involved before taking it anywhere else. We are all human and make mistakes. A mistake is not cheating as it is not done on purpose.

We all break the rules, sometimes without realizing it, sometimes on purpose. Every footfault is a violation. Almost none of them get called. Unless you purposely footfault to get an easier shot it's not cheating (in my book anyway). It is common to break non-competitive rules (where there is no advantage in terms of scoring): Flipping a disc rather than using a mini, picking up gimmes rather than making the player putt out, shooting out of order, throwing a disc with a store price tag sticker on it, etc. None of these are cheating either, IMO.

Disc golf is a sport where an ethical code exists. We police ourselves. Referees don't watch our shots and call violations. This creates a spirit of the game unlike most other sports and the title of "cheater" can stick for a long time, fair or not. For players new to the game, who don't yet understand the culture, gentle latitude should be given.

For all the concern of cheating, in the Pro ranks it is very rare. Those who are shaky in this regard are known and watched carefully. Most situations which arise involve rules/interpretations where the facts are fuzzy: was it OB?, where did it go OB? can you move that branch? can you stand on top of the picnic table to make the shot? Is that casual water?

Cheating at an Ace Race? That's a new one. Aside from overt collusion, how do you cheat? The old joke: What score does the cheater claim when he hits a hole in one?

Zero.

Mark Ellis said:
In our sport a cheater is someone who breaks the rules INTENTIONALLY to gain a competitive advantage. Be very careful tossing that accusation around. If you didn't personally witness it then you are not the person who should make the claim.

Cheating at an Ace Race? That's a new one. Aside from overt collusion, how do you cheat?

Yes since i didnt witness it myself I havent confronted anyone yet. I have just heard stories from Multiple people. The local club threw in a extra pot (10 discs and a bag) for the winner of the ace race supposedly he said that he his group lied and said he won then he would give everyone a disc from the winnings. So I was just like okay i need to watch this guy, i am new to town and new to the group i do not even know his name. However i was also told that he was caught trying to shave strokes in the same fashion at a tourney just a couple weeks ago ( a couple weeks after the ace race). I believe he just left when he was caught.