• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago Heights area...

Mr Mirth

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'll be in Chicago Heights area in a few weeks and am wondering of the nearby courses which one should be played.

I'll have time to play only one course but am willing to travel up to 20mins (from Chicago Hts area) to get there.

Any suggestions?

check in homewood or olympia fields, those are two that I know of. Havent played the homewood course, but I wasnt a fan of Olympia fields. I dont know how far Munster, IN is from Chicago Heights time wise, but I know they have a nice course out there. Lemon Lake in Crown Point, IN is more like 30 min but still always a good trip.

Thanks for the suggestions, kgeberhart.

Based on reviews here, it's between The Oaks and Lemon Lake (Blue or Silver).

I'd hate to get time strapped and stuck playing Sgt Means in Olympia Fields!

Lemon Lake would be worth the trip if you can manage it. They have 4 courses there now. When I was there last they only had 2 and they were both good courses.

Im from Crown Point but I dont get back there often, but I always play Lemon Lake once when I am home every course there is great, even White (granted it is short)

Limiting yourself to only 20 minutes will get you only to a few mediocre (at very best) courses. Closest decent course is The Oaks in Mokena (23 minutes per Google Maps).

Like others have mentioned, you would be much better off finding a little more time and going to Lemon Lake Park (35 min away) where there are 3 great courses and 1 good one to choose from.

My highest recommendation would be to go over to Rogers Lakewood Park in Valparaiso, IN (45 min) for a course which tops all of those others. It is an absolutely amazing course in my book.

Or...

Highland Park in Joliet is awesome. It would probably be a 40 min ride, but well worth it.

Dave's got it right, take the extra time and get out to Valpo, that's a great course with some killer holes and a ton of variety. Lemon lake is a lot of fun too, the Red course is actually my favorite, but the blue and silver aren't far behind (I haven't played the gold tees on the silver/gold course yet though).

Or...

Highland Park in Joliet is awesome. It would probably be a 40 min ride, but well worth it.

Good call. That is only 35 minutes away per Google Maps. A course map would be good if you want to visit that course (and I do not see one on this site).

Good call. That is only 35 minutes away per Google Maps. A course map would be good if you want to visit that course (and I do not see one on this site).

Navigation is not too bad there. I don't know when you were last there Dave242, but since they put in hole 16 it's much better. (For the first year or so that this course was open, there was no hole 16 and there was a long walk to 17)

Oh OK - cool. I was out there most recently last summer. I would have had a hard time finding a lot of the long tees except I ran into Dana who showed me around (I knew him from years back in NC).

Valpo, lemon and highland are all three destination worthy...and some of the best in a fairly large radius. Highland is probably your best close option and is 4+ rated by those in the know (and pretty much everyone else). All three sets of tees at Highland are worth playing; take your pick and enjoy.

If you do go to West Park and have some extra time, West Park is a short but fun 24 holer nearby with some fun elevation shots and some good wooded holes.

as others have already said, Valpo, Lemon, Highland Park.... Highland is the quickest drive (im 2 towns west of the heights) I havent played lemon in a few years, so i cant comment on white or silver/gold, but valpo is hands down the best course I've ever played... set aside some time though... its probably an hour to get there, and takes 2.5-3 hours to play your first time through

The Oaks is also quality; but not quite in the same league as your other three options. Fair amount of rules and restrictions at the Oaks; check what reviewers have to say on that. Huge oak trees; which would make sense; course feels kind of repetitious after a while though....sometimes we're pretty spoiled...West is good too; more old school; probably the most water in play on that one.

Yeah, the Oaks is a nice park, but I always feel like they crammed 27 decent holes in a space that would have made 18 good ones. They do have up to three tees per hole though, and they change up the course some for a little variety if you play it multiple times.

I agree with everyone. Lemon lake, or highland park and west park are excellent courses. If you want more open shots go oaks then. If you have time though i would personally go with lemon lake. I live a little more than an hour from there and have been traveling there recently alot more than the closer courses. Definatly cant go wrong with four courses in one property all quality imo.

All, thanks again.

Somehow I overlooked Highland!
It's now between here and the course in Valpo.
I suppose it depends on which side of the Heights our hotel sits.

I'll let ya'll know!

Alas, I didn't play at all!

Business took precedent Thursday while Friday was stormy wet.

Damn.

:(

Latest posts