• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

China Peak Disc Golf Course (near Fresno)

Probably not. He felt like it was a -7 or -8 on the round though...so while I suppose a 72 is possible, it would be like a -19 or -20 out there. Pretty insane.

predicting outliers is fun. yeah, if there were 100 rounds played by 1000+ rated players, I think the course record would be 73 -- especially after the course has all rubber tees and the fairways/greens are broken in. but what does that really tell us, statistically speaking?

maybe a better way to think of it: on a typical day in an organized event, what score would warrant a 900-rating? 950? 975? 1000? 1025? 1050? Here are my guesses for two years from now, after 1000 rounds and 2 PDGA B-tier tournaments have been played:

900 - 96
950 - 88
975 - 84
1000 - 81
1025 - 79
1050 - 77

I can't remember the mathematical assumption of these ratings. It's something like one stroke for every 10 points on an 18-hole course...? (My guesses are based on just guessing, not any conscious formula.)

ok, yes, 10 points equals one stroke, per excerpt below from the PDGA's rating FAQ http://www.pdga.com/faq/ratings-0.

also pasted interesting way of estimating the course SSA (scratch scoring average -- i.e., 1000-rated score) without tournament scores. China Peak's SSA would be 90.48 for it's actual length (12,962 feet); but only 79.97 for its "effective" length (9966 feet)...

How does your rating affect what division you can enter?

All amateurs with the exception of aged based divisions, like Juniors or Masters and older, compete in divisions based on rating levels. You may not play in a lower division if your rating is above a certain number. Current Amateur divisional ratings lines are; MA1 if 935+, MA2 <935, MA3 <900, MA4 <850 and Am Women; FA1 if 800+, FA2 <800, FA3 <750 (from the Player Division Table.) In addition, there are ratings events where everyone – Ams and Pros – play in a division based on their rating. Players are always allowed to enter divisions even higher than their current rating, just never below.
How do you get a rating for your course?

Hosting a PDGA event is the official way to get an SSA rating for your course. Your course gets an SSA rating when at least 5 current PDGA members with official ratings over 799 play it in PDGA competition. The rough SSA calculation for an 18-hole course with average foliage density is to take the total course length in feet, divide it by 285, then add 30. This will get within a few shots of the SSA and even closer if you adjust upward or downward for more or less than average foliage on the course.

With 27 holes you'd have a lower number of points per stroke. For comparison sake, last year at Sky High each stroke was worth 7ish points, it would be even lower if the SSA is as high as you're estimating at China Peak.

predicting outliers is fun. yeah, if there were 100 rounds played by 1000+ rated players, I think the course record would be 73 -- especially after the course has all rubber tees and the fairways/greens are broken in. but what does that really tell us, statistically speaking?

maybe a better way to think of it: on a typical day in an organized event, what score would warrant a 900-rating? 950? 975? 1000? 1025? 1050? Here are my guesses for two years from now, after 1000 rounds and 2 PDGA B-tier tournaments have been played:

900 - 96
950 - 88
975 - 84
1000 - 81
1025 - 79
1050 - 77

I can't remember the mathematical assumption of these ratings. It's something like one stroke for every 10 points on an 18-hole course...? (My guesses are based on just guessing, not any conscious formula.)

Any idea who might be hosting said tournaments?

Any idea who might be hosting said tournaments?

It's up to China Peak. They are quite capable event organizers -- bike races, mud runs, etc. My guess is that they'll run things logistically and find an experienced TD from the local area conduct the actual competition.

My TOTAL guess is that their inaugural event would be a PDGA B-tier mid-to-late next summer. (This season is already over; the course is only open ~3 months.) Also guessing that they would not be part of the NorCal Series or Central Valley Series in the first year. Again, total guessing.

If you want more info, contact them directly. (They're very cool people, they love to get feedback.) Or send a private note to me and Ross Hammond. We'll probably provide some input on whatever they decide to do.

Thanks for posting all the pics, Lion. The course looks nuts. Anybody know when this will reopen?

Could be pretty early this year due to lack of snow. I would think they could get the course open by Memorial day if they wanted to. Just a guess. I live about 30 miles from there at a similar elevation.

Can't wait to hit this one, I'll be in that area around July 4th. I missed the opening of the course by just a few days last year.

It looks like I might have the chance to play here the weekend of June 29th, anyone know what the dog policy is? The site doesn't list it as no dogs, I assume we'll have to walk instead of taking the lift. How big a hike is that?

^^ Fact. Too bad the tournament fell through. I guess the location/isolation is too much for people. Having played it, I want to see what the best players in the world score on it for a tourney. I think most would love playing it though you do need to be in great shape to compete.

Latest posts