• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Columbia Gorge mid-July

discmeettree

Par Member
So my family and I are making our yearly trek up to the great Pacific Northwest this summer. We would like to experience some of the wonderful disc golf we have been reading about up there. So, here is what courses we have on the agenda so far (spending 11 days up there)

We are staying in Hood River so will check out the course there despite all of the negative reviews.

Pier Park in Portland, it seems that is sort of the capital of disc golf up there from an outsider's perspective.

Locks Approach Course, (I really like that area anyway)

North Bonneville Course

Maybe Leverich Park (We haven't spent anytime in Vancouver on our travels up in that area so it would be cool to see the area too)

Any suggestions? Any tips? Appreciate very much. :)

If you are coming up "5" Whistlers Bend in Roseburg is sweet as well as Dexter near Eugene. Both are great courses and are very close to I-5. In and around Portland I hear Hornings Hideout and Milo are fantastic (Playing those next week :)
I've played those two courses on the way up and loved them! Expect to give a few discs to the disc golf gods in Roseburg, but a very small price to pay :)

Have a great time!

Oh man, too bad that you aren't coming further over towards Spokane. We have some wonderful courses over here. Camp Sekani, Downriver, Highbridge and Four Mounds are all great. We also live so close to the greatest courses in the Inland Northwest (Farragut State Park). Farragut really is what disc golf should be, great camping, beautiful location, four courses on site, built on an old navy base. It's something that everyone should enjoy

There are several new courses in the gorge. Some pretty good old ones as well. Also, if you're there for 11 days, there's some of the Portland courses. Here's some ideas:

Sorosis Park in the Dalles. That's not far from Hood River, and I've heard it's well worth the trip.

Dabney's a local favorite. They've got a random doubles league which throws there on Thursdays, in case you'd like to meet up with some of the locals.

The new Blue Lake course is a gold level course, and it's almost at the entrance to the gorge. It's in Portland, but I bet it's not much more than a half hour's drive from Hood River.

There are two courses at Rooster Rock in the gorge. One's very woodsy, and is very indicative of the Pacific Northwest. The other is more open, but you have some water come into play.

There's a course at Mount Adams on the Washington side of the river. I don't think it would be too long of a drive.

There's a new course in Cascade Locks. Not sure if that's the one you were talking about, but I've heard people say it's worth stopping.

If you decide to do a side trip to Mount Hood, they've got a course at ski bowl.

For longer trips, there's Milo, Horning's Hideout, and Timber. I'd guess those are between 1.5 and 2 hrs distant though. Plenty of writeups already here on those.

We are actually flying into Portland this year for the first time, the last 4 years we have driven up with 2 small kids in the car. When we found Southwest offering $72 fares, well, needless to say the car is staying parked in the driveway back home this year. LOL

Thanks for the tips guys, I wasn't even thinking of going out East to the Dalles because it gets more deserty (word?) and we live in the desert here. But if it's worth checking out we'll do that for sure.

I'll definately have to check out that Blue Lake Course too and some others. I didn't see the Blue Lake course on the review page, did I miss it?

The only reason I'd keep Sorosis on the list is it's proximity to HR. It's ok.

Just played Blue Lake for the first time a few weeks back, and you're right: intimidating. For a great course experience without the temper tantrums and bag kicking (maybe that's just me ;)), train your brain to remove the 4000 red stakes from your sight. Either way, kickass course. About 40-45 from HR.

Other good choices:
McIver (45min, E of PDX)
Pier (1+, traffic dependent, west side of PDX)
Horning's (for all day fun- 1.5hrs; bit west of PDX)
Rooster (if only due to proximity; mind the nude beach over by West) 40min
Dabney (45min, E of PDX)

Big +2 for Whistler's Bend and Dexter, but since you're flying in they're probably out.

Have fun! Lots of great day trip options out there.

So who's all gonna be playing and what are their experience levels?

Honestly, even though it's on the other side of Portland, I think you guys should check out Hornings. Three courses, one's accessible for pretty much anyone that can throw 100', plus there's other stuff to do there in case somebody doesn't want to play anymore. Fishing, paddle boats, peacock feeding, etc...

Dabney is a really nice course for a wide range of players. It's short enough that you don't have to be Feldberg to enjoy, but it's techy enough to not get bored if you are Feldberg.

Sorosis is also really nice, and yes even though The Dalles is more "deserty" (even if it isn't a real word, I've used it before) the course is not a desert course. Most of the fairways are really nice, lush grass. It's definitely worth checking out.

Milo is awesome, though it is kind of beastly, ok, it's REALLY beastly. Timber is also really cool, and much more accessible to lower level players.

Have a fun, and enjoy this beautiful corner of the disc golf world....

I haven't played Bonneville or Cascade Locks, but I want to....

Latest posts