• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
dgdave said:
What are they like?

They are so straight with almost zero turn or fade. It flies like what a comet should fly. An X always seems to have more turn than I would expect. The Z and ESP always have way more fade than I would expect out of a comet. A sponsored Discraft player this weekend even commented on how straight it flew and finished, while I was throwing it for the ace fund throw off.

Pwingles said:
BLURR said:
Pwingles said:
I have a sexy stock purple Z, theyre out there just gotta findem

You sir, are a dirty bastard...unless you want to trade it to me...then you are my new best friend :D
I suppose i am a dirty bastard then :(, ima try and get a few more because this one is fuckin perfect. Perfect dome, great stability. Flies like a worn in ESP, ive had some Z's that were a bit flatter on top and were not nearly as HSS as ithink comets should be, and this one is money :)

199168_413687642021141_498156661_n.jpg

i got a bunch of these purple ones when i ordered for the players packs. you can barely see through these. flew perfect!

BLURR said:
Would you be willing to part with one or two of those...in the 175-176 range?

603246_413719928684579_1363407146_n.jpg

would love to sell some. been selling them for $15 each.

just weighed them... only one dark purple in that weight and two of the lighter purple ones. the rest are weighing in just below that at 173g-174g, one at 177g.

...And ordered another one from DD to get a max weight one...funnily enough it was about 30 cents cheaper total to order from there than from a "local" internet retailer in finland.

My Midnight Comet has been in the bag now for over a month now and it is still flying great for me. It is now nicknamed the birdie whisperer. If you are a comet thrower, I highly recommend getting 1 or 2 of these. By the way, I did get a couple of those purple comets and they are a touch more overstable than the Midnight's.

So I was recently reading this thread and then came across a used very flat, recent run fuschia Z Comet at PIAS today and had a hilarious time trying to process information- wait is this like the purple ones they are talking about... are they supposed to be flat or domey, etc. Needless to say, I bought it and am curious to see how it will test against my trustworthy Z Buzzz/Opto Fuse combo....

The flatter comets aren't as stable as the domey runs. They are straight to slightly understable in flight. They are a nice compliment to a buzzz though.

For future reference(And this is my opinion):
Domey Comet = Straight to ever so slightly overstable
Flat Comet = Straight to ever so slightly understable

BLURR said:
The flatter comets aren't as stable as the domey runs. They are straight to slightly understable in flight. They are a nice compliment to a buzzz though.

For future reference(And this is my opinion):
Domey Comet = Straight to ever so slightly overstable
Flat Comet = Straight to ever so slightly understable

I can agree with this.

Haven't ever really seen a domey Comet. I've seen some with higher or lower shoulders, but no domey ones.

A Comet with a bubble top would look pretty surreal. I have two i think 3rd run ESP Comets that are pretty domey especially vs Zs that are pretty, not totally, but close to flat.

I threw a flattish Z and semi domey 3rd run ESP in field practice with mild constant winds to moderate gusts in 45F. Pretty normal results. It took me forever to get warmed up and loose. Around an hour and a half. Some sleep deprivation and fatigued body. I tried different grips when the normally cleanly releasing grip didn't work. I didn't have enough upper back mobility with the shoulder blade hitting the vertical upper back muscle. Anny most times. I threw other stuff for an hour and a half before retrying and two finger Jenkins style thumb with a lot of tightness either early or late pinch worked at least as well as my normal mid and putter driving grip. That is power grip loose fingers with the index finger almost not inside the disc ans even looser than the other fingers and a late pinch. I was getting consistently stronger grip than ever and so far my arm ain't hurting bad so there's progress. The wind didn't bother me at all. Both Comets flew beautifully but especially the two finger grip gave early slips to the left. Not surprising in these temps.

The difference between me being off and on were too great for consistency and being able to compete with the Comet so it can't be a work horse disc other than for annies overall. For days when i'm on it is much more versatile and not as hard penalizing disc except for range control. Given how much the distance changes with throwing low. I don't like to gamble with discs and even in calm conditions my physical capabilities vary way too much from day to day so i'm too gimp for this disc for anything other than utility disc. If i were in better shape and didn't need to warm up so long and wouldn't cool down as fast as i do it would be a much better disc for me. i'm not pro enough for this disc considering how i got comparison Coyote, different Squalls, Buzzz, Leopards Champ and Star, GL River and Z Stalker to fly for different distances but straight and more predictably. Despite the wind. Well the Squalls were a little on the iffy side at times too but not as much. Overall i was getting a better grip than ever and more pull from the fingers and Blake said that is wrong :-( I just am not sure how to get push if it ain't finger spring and i haven't tried it yet at full power. Too much rounds to little field form practice. Today was equipment testing. Anyway i couldn't get my Star Leo to flip and that is new. It fades out earlier than my a little flipping champ and is shorter.Still 360'. Champ to 370'. The champ flipped less than normal. I got normal flip form the GL River because it faded out on me in mostly rear winds and i wasn't able to get any good enough rips for best D with it so i was pushing trying to kill it and probably overdid it which often leads to a little wrist roll.

Missing with the Comets sans slips felt and resulted in what over committing to Rivers at 105 % power were doing. No joy for either disc. There comes my problem with many other discs than the Comet too. I am crappy and busted enough to not need discs that turn back and bite me. I had the best grip day ever with more disc pivot than ever and still so many Comet shots were off enough to kill the scores at least in tight places. And that is where the Comet shines so the main purpose was too severely compromised. If you don't count being a great diagnostic tool to be the main function for that disc. Also the Axis suffers from needing too perfect of a throw for me to execute always. AKA required skill and current ability level. What good is knowing and at times performing to requirements when at other times you can't make the shots? That is forcing me to use other discs as mainstays.

II don't recall carrying Comets for rounds this season. And i love the disc. Not so much when it throws tantrums (that is me messing up). Still it is an awesome disc and i'm also saddened by the Axis and to a great degree the Warship with their superb glide carrying them off too far on anything but great throws and not being able to rely on myself enough to use them all the time :-(

That flat Z Comet got field-tested. Needs more air under it than I'm used to giving with Buzz/Fuse. Very much like a Roc with no fade (and better plastic). Easy to predict lines and could make it laser straight except in headwinds, although I had no luck gauging its distance, which is just to say I never got familiar enough with it. I can see how it'd fit well in someone else's bag....

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up that I've been putting some of my rare-ish comets on ebay lately (RR, old Z etc.). I know some of you guys like that stuff.... so go get it.

mzuleger said:
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up that I've been putting some of my rare-ish comets on ebay lately (RR, old Z etc.). I know some of you guys like that stuff.... so go get it.

it usually helps if one provides a link to these aforementioned items.

Hot dang! If the plastic makes them more HSS and a little more LSS like in other plastics i'm all over on this one like flies on you know what.

Latest posts