• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Competition

Armus Patheticus

Garrulous Windbag
Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?

I do not participate in tournaments (I work most Saturdays), therefore, I only throw recreationally...so when I am out there on the course, the competition is between me and the course, not between me and the other folks in my group. If I can do well against the course I will likely do well compared to the others in my group.

With absolutely no type of competition, what incentive is there to do well. Competition improves one's game....

Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extension of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?

Are you saying that you personally don't find any joy in competing? Or are you just wondering why people find joy in competing in general? If it's the first thing than the answer is obvious, it's fun. Maybe you don't share that feeling and that's cool. The second question is related to evolution. Humans, men especially, have evolved to want to compete for the purpose of mating and acquiring resources. We do it for leisure because we don't really need to compete for life or death anymore, but we still feel the instinct to compete. Kind of like how people engage in sex recreationally (sp?) now, but in the past it was for the purpose of mating and passing on DNA exclusively.

What is the purpose of throwing the disc multiple times to a basket just to achieve a number. Couldn't you just pick whatever number you wanted and write that down. It seems that to add an arbitrary act to get to that number is a waste.

Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?

Can't find the quote, but essentially it goes something like, "Sport is an ontological challenge of oneself." I tend to agree. Also, competition is viewed merely as another form of "play" in the scholarly world of recreation and leisure philosophy.

I play for competition only. Whether it be competing against others, myself or just against the course. It doesn't have to be for money. It is simply meeting a challenge, achieving goals and such. Without that impetus I doubt I would improve much at all over time. I also try to enjoy every round and the camaraderie involved regardless if I beat the course, opponents or not. I am also not afraid of losing to anyone else but always enjoy the challenge. I don't get anyone who plays a sport where a score is kept, but they don't like to compete. I scream BS.

Explain the right function of trolling in recreation. It seems clear that trolling serves different purposes, for example biological trolling existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competitive trolling as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of trolling as a form of leisure. Is trolling a diseased extension of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is trolling a useful cultural process?

I think he meant to post this.

I play for competition only. Whether it be competing against others, myself or just against the course. It doesn't have to be for money. It is simply meeting a challenge, achieving goals and such. Without that impetus I doubt I would improve much at all over time. I also try to enjoy every round and the camaraderie involved regardless if I beat the course, opponents or not. I am also not afraid of losing to anyone else but always enjoy the challenge. I don't get anyone who plays a sport where a score is kept, but they don't like to compete. I scream BS.

Wil Wheaton does a YouTube channel about board games. In it, he says that he tells his kids not to be upset if they lose - the fun should come from Playing, not from Winning. In other words, if you don't win the game - don't throw a tantrum, don't be a sore loser. Compliment those who beat you if they played a fair game and did well. Even in board games, you are competing. There are scores for a reason.

I enjoy the competition. When we play as a group, we keep score. When I'm by myself, I keep score. If nothing else, it shows who did better that day, or it may show how I'm improving myself. I may have been guilty of saying "I don't like competition" in the past - but I think it's more accurate to say "I don't mind not winning." It doesn't ruin my weekend just because you won the round today. Good for you. But I'm still going to beat you next time...

You're over-thinking it.

Wil Wheaton does a YouTube channel about board games. In it, he says that he tells his kids not to be upset if they lose - the fun should come from Playing, not from Winning. In other words, if you don't win the game - don't throw a tantrum, don't be a sore loser. Compliment those who beat you if they played a fair game and did well. Even in board games, you are competing. There are scores for a reason.

I tried to instill this way of approaching games and sport with my daughters. It is good to want to win, but having fun is what is important.

At 5 years old, my daughter was playing soccer. 5 year old soccer is a little chaotic and frenetic. Scores aren't kept substitutions are on the fly and two fields are being used to get smaller numbers of kids able to play the ball and more playing at a time, so even if someone wanted to, keeping score would be impossible. Well one game there is a kid on the other team that plays soccer, probably dropped out of the womb and started kicking a ball. scoring at will.
After the game my 5 Year old daughter is distraught at how bad they lost. I'm trying to do the right thing and tell her its about playing the game, having fun and learning while playing. She rolls her eyes at me and says "daddy, scoring goals and winning is what makes it fun."

Some people are born with a different competitive spirit than others.

while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide

Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism?

I do not agree with the premises of the above two statements. Therefore, there is nothing to discuss from the outset.