• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Competition

I'm not sure I entirely follow you here. Your original question seemed to be about the possible utility of competition in recreational activities. My answer was basically that competition in games is one way that we engineer reward-seeking activities that trigger the pleasure center of our brains, and by extension aid in learning.

If it doesn't (or cannot) involve conscious practicality then, competition is very similar to addiction. I am frightened by things whose only justification is that they are fun. Without pretending to be above any human desire, I am frightened by addiction. I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.

How about this then:

Can recreative games thrive without competition?
The "participation trophy" mindset that so many make fun of is indeed ridiculous, but why? Maybe because it is given in the context of supposed competition, and ignores the definite reality of winners and losers. It supposedly tells the losers that it's ok to lose because at least they tried... which is what a lot of you have been saying in this thread. Or is it only seen as ridiculous to the competitive and the winners, whose goals and dominance are being diminished by the attitude that everyone says sportsmanship is all about?
Is there a way to eliminate all this nonsense and still play disc golf, or baseball, for example, at a competent or high level?

Do you not feel the urge to test your time honed skills against others to see how you compare? Try and learn things from peers you would otherwise not interact with?

The main reasons that I compete is to see if my work in honing my skills is working. Also because as a former fairly high level athlete I miss the adrenaline of competition. This gives me a healthier outlet that is more sustainable physically and financially than others I've tried.

Do you not feel the urge to test your time honed skills against others to see how you compare? Try and learn things from peers you would otherwise not interact with?

The main reasons that I compete is to see if my work in honing my skills is working. Also because as a former fairly high level athlete I miss the adrenaline of competition. This gives me a healthier outlet that is more sustainable physically and financially than others I've tried.

I know if I'm doing well or not without competing with others. If I got an adrenaline rush from competition that would be an understandable draw I reckon, but I don't. I do like to learn from others, which is one of the reasons that I sometimes play tournaments, but that doesn't require competition.

...Is there a way to eliminate all this nonsense and still play disc golf, or baseball, for example, at a competent or high level?

To eliminate it in all the people who want to play at a high level... no. Possible to play at a high level without it.... yes.

Competition is a powerful motivator for some people, and therefore those people will make up a greater percentage of high level players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To eliminate it in all the people who want to play at a high level... no. Possible to play at a high level without it.... yes.

Competition is a powerful motivator for some people, and therefore those people will make up a greater percentage of high level players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I agree

If it doesn't (or cannot) involve conscious practicality then, competition is very similar to addiction. I am frightened by things whose only justification is that they are fun. Without pretending to be above any human desire, I am frightened by addiction. I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.

This is legit one of the dumbest things I've ever read

I am comfortable in the presence of mystery but made uneasy by the bulk of human behavior being driven by forces that they cannot put meaningful, plain words to.

A joke I once heard:

Nietzsche: "God is dead.. and we have killed him."
People: "Oh wow, that's great."
Nietzsche: "No, you little sh*t, that means we have to be God now. Can you be God?"
People: "Oh f*ck."

Welcome to the new world, Armus! ;)

Last edited:
I know a fox who lives in a hole between some rocks. He does not know God or deny God or act as God. He is cleaner and happier and holier and more beautiful than most people I know.

I was never a member of any old world, and I'm certainly not interested in joining this new one.

I know a fox who lives in a hole between some rocks. He does not know God or deny God or act as God. He is cleaner and happier and holier and more beautiful than most people I know.

I was never a member of any old world, and I'm certainly not interested in joining this new one.

What the hell are you doing on the internet then?

Why do you compete in sports? Most do it for fun. Maybe for exercise. Maybe some do it to make themselves feel macho... Is there a point to it? Not really. Whats the point to anything? Most people lead almost completely pointless lives. Might as well have some fun.

IMO, one of the more thought provoking threads lately. Good to find some people look at things from alternate perspectives and question (rhetorically or not) facets of life most just 'let slip by'.

You mean this?

One might say the only justification for making repeated attempts at causing discord in an internet community is fun. They might also suggest such behavior can be addictive.

You could go even further yet and suggest that if it is one's goal to tat everybody's tit, and always get the last word in, and use fluffier language, and leave those who respond to you to surrender to using insults, so you can feel morally superior to them, well...one might say you're engaging in a competition, albeit one you invented in your head.

What the hell are you doing on the internet then?

Why do you compete in sports? Most do it for fun. Maybe for exercise. Maybe some do it to make themselves feel macho... Is there a point to it? Not really. Whats the point to anything? Most people lead almost completely pointless lives. Might as well have some fun.

I don't compete in sports.
I use the internet for a few things, none of which indicate my desire to keep up with society.