• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

I didn't mean any specific producer.

^^^This is what I meant. I know there's plenty of reasonably priced base line plastics out there, but it just seems like the trend is towards producing premium plastic discs.

We are determining that trend, not the manufacturer. We're buying, throwing, and recommending premium at every turn. If there weren't so many "DX is flippy after one tree hit" comments (which is totally an incorrect claim for all but a few members on here that have the power to destroy a DX disc) and more "this DX disc glides so straight and sweet it should be illegal" or "I lost my DX disc to the drink, and I wish I'd thrown my same mold Champ instead", we would be seeing more baseline plastic.

wholesale cost went up a few years ago, along with the rest of petroleum product prices.
Aren't you on the inside? Probably trying to perpetuate the myth that the disc golf companies aren't in collusion to milk us of every last penny. Remind me to wear my tin foil hat before ready any of your posts! :p

We are determining that trend, not the manufacturer. We're buying, throwing, and recommending premium at every turn. If there weren't so many "DX is flippy after one tree hit" comments (which is totally an incorrect claim for all but a few members on here that have the power to destroy a DX disc) and more "this DX disc glides so straight and sweet it should be illegal" or "I lost my DX disc to the drink, and I wish I'd thrown my same mold Champ instead", we would be seeing more baseline plastic.
I do not disagree with any of your points. Was just making a comment that new discs seem to be higher priced. There are also some discs which are only available in the higher end plastics as well.

I'm guilty of that Ill admit. I love the look and feel of premium plastic, not that DX doesn't feel great either. I have a DX Roc that I got when I first started playing, I've hit so many trees with its its bent, I just bend it back as best I can. I dont think its flippy yet......still flies nearly as straight as the day I got it. I should start throwing more DX, I mean I can get it anywhere just a run to the local PAIS and viola.....

I'm guilty of that Ill admit. I love the look and feel of premium plastic, not that DX doesn't feel great either. I have a DX Roc that I got when I first started playing, I've hit so many trees with its its bent, I just bend it back as best I can. I dont think its flippy yet......still flies nearly as straight as the day I got it. I should start throwing more DX, I mean I can get it anywhere just a run to the local PAIS and viola.....

I'm generally a premium plastic thrower myself, but I suffer when it rains. While I have no problem with grip when things are dry, there are no premium plastic discs I've thrown that don't slip on me in the rain. Well, Vibram works well, but I still have yet to add one of their molds to my bag.

wholesale cost went up a few years ago, along with the rest of petroleum product prices.

Hadn't thought about this.

Do you think this is why biofuzion/recycled is so freaking cheap?

What is surprising to me is all of the regular Innova stuff I got when I played a lot of tournaments 4-5 years ago is now going up in value because it is "pre-number". First I've heard the term "pre-number" being used was a few months ago. But I am very out of loop on that stuff.

I also LOVE that Innova changed the Roc mold, so now all of my boxes of old Rocs are just sitting there gaining value.. :hfive: :clap: :D

What is surprising to me is all of the regular Innova stuff I got when I played a lot of tournaments 4-5 years ago is now going up in value because it is "pre-number". First I've heard the term "pre-number" being used was a few months ago. But I am very out of loop on that stuff.

I also LOVE that Innova changed the Roc mold, so now all of my boxes of old Rocs are just sitting there gaining value.. :hfive: :clap: :D
IRA = Innova Retirement Account :hfive:

I only started playing last May, but I hope I never succumb to the OOP disc hunting fiend. Right now I'm happy buying stuff off the shelf. Some DX, some stuff in higher plastics. I do prefer X as my baseline in Discraft tho.

I only started playing last May, but I hope I never succumb to the OOP disc hunting fiend. Right now I'm happy buying stuff off the shelf. Some DX, some stuff in higher plastics. I do prefer X as my baseline in Discraft tho.

It's only a matter of time before you drop too much money on that OOP you must have.

I joined one of the Facebook auction groups not too long ago. My first auction was for my G9i Wizard -- paid about $12 for it from Marshall Street, IIRC. Sold it for $13.

Next auction was for a heavy 2012 Ace Race disc. Another $13.

Last one was for an unthrown clear QJLS. Yep -- another $13.

I'd have NEVER put those discs up for those prices in the marketplace here. I never thought I'd get that much for any of them - the QJLS I only paid $9 for from GGGT (I'm guessing it's because it was clear and because it was light weight). I didn't make a ton of money, but I more than broke even.

Basically, discs fall into one of two categories: collection or bagged. Collector discs will always have a market as people are willing to pay the crazy prices...and certain people will always be willing to sell if the price is right. Bagged discs depend solely on the buyer. I might have bought a mold to try out and hated, but somewhere there is somebody who loves it. (even Grooves...though those wackos are rare..j/k) Further, social media and other online marketplaces have created a viable medium for transfer. Essentially, you've created a completely free resale market with few (if any) barriers to entry. Sell away.

As for production plastic, the newer companies (especially Prodigy) seem to be driving the initial cost of discs upward. The problem is that one firm (Innova) is still the market giant. When they see Prodigy charging $20 for a disc, they immediately think they can increase the retail cost of Star Plastic up to, say $18 and win the price point by still taking an increase in retail cost. Their other plastics increase in retail accordingly. The problem this creates is that once Innova reacts, the rest of the market reacts in turn because they're gunning for Innova's market share. In short, we have a limited retail market with one major price setter. The exact opposite of the resale market.

As a side note, the Lat64 RGL and DD Biofuzion are awesome and priced great. I prefer them to the regular lines, and our local PIA sells them for $10.99 which is sweet! What I find interesting, and trending in the current market is the premium for "pretty discs". I like the European plastic for throwing because it feels good to me. Like slightly gummy star/esp plastic. However, many sellers are asking more for certain discs because they are "prettier". I'm just wanting to throw it...but evidently there is a market segment that prefers pearly/sunburst/transitional plastic. Obviously though, this is only an issue in the resale market.

This is a great thread and a cool discussion. Cheers!

I've noticed this as well. Special runs and limited editions, ultra-premium plastic, whatever you want to call it, have made $20-25 very normal. All the Innova Glow Champ is $20-$25. CryZtal is $20- $25. Any Prodigy or MVP is $20 or darn close.

agree with this except for Prodigy.. i've yet to pay more than $16 for a new prodigy disc.

On topic though. I simply can't justify blowing $40+ on a piece of plastic i could lose. I know a couple guys that throw money at expensive OOP plastic constantly. Bag full of 11x teebirds, KC Pro Teebirds, blah blah blah. Can barely throw any of them but HAS to have them because apparently they fly at trees differently than current runs of teebirds. Every time i see them it's always some new disc they bought just to be able to tell people about.

then on the other end i have a couple friends that have some OOP plastic that and throw it incredibly well and justifies why they have THAT OOP disc in their bag due to flight characteristics.

I just think it's a giant waste of money to blow money on OOP plastic when production plastics are just as good if YOU aren't that good. Like guy said before, $50 discs dont make you a 1000 rated golfer (some think it does).

As for production plastic, the newer companies (especially Prodigy) seem to be driving the initial cost of discs upward. The problem is that one firm (Innova) is still the market giant. When they see Prodigy charging $20 for a disc, they immediately think they can increase the retail cost of Star Plastic up to, say $18 and win the price point by still taking an increase in retail cost. Their other plastics increase in retail accordingly. The problem this creates is that once Innova reacts, the rest of the market reacts in turn because they're gunning for Innova's market share. In short, we have a limited retail market with one major price setter. The exact opposite of the resale market.

Cheers!

This is the reason I stopped buying new Innova plastic about a year ago. $25 "promo" discs with a Logo I don't even like?

No Thanks, and in case you guys didn't know "JO" is parlance for something entirely different on CL guys :doh:

id pay a couple hundo for a blue and red ion for a thrower.. cant think of anything else oop that i want

but it just seems like the trend is towards producing premium plastic discs.

the real trend is that disc companies are designing discs to be produced in premium plastic, with some (like mvp) having no 'base' plastic available.

i like the facebook auction but one downside is the can last forever if they have the 24hour from last bid rule.

Latest posts