• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Control Driver Woes

josser said:
Mike C said:
Gazelles - I like them, they fly a lot like Stalkers with better glide. Only problem is I've heard the premium plastic ones fly like crap, and while I'm cool with DX in general I know my workhorse control driver is going to have to be used in spots where tree hits are inevitable. These, like the Stalker, feel a touch slower than I want, but aside from that and the plastics issue I really like me some Gazelles. They're nice and controllable, glide well, and can hit a variety of lines (Especially a broken in one). I have a fresh, slightly overstable finishing DX and a flippy, worn in DX.

The glow CFR Gazelles at DGV are pretty sweet. A few different Gazelle throwers on this board seem to like them and find them barely any more overstable than a new DX one.

Given your potential nose-up issue, PDs would probably do exactly what you want the OLFs to do (they fade forward compared to OLFs harsher fade) and feel quite similar in the hand.
Yeah, I was going to say that glow champ Gazelles are pretty nice. I think you should definitely give PDs a whirl. Some other discs I'd consider would be Champ TLs and ELs.

I figured something out today. The reason the Teebird's fade seemed so pronounced is I forgot how to throw it. I'm used to having to give a Stalker a good amount of hyzer for shots in the 360-400' range for a hyzer line throw, while the Teebird doesn't require nearly as much. Once I re-discovered that I threw them a lot better. I'm going to put my TB's back in my bag, because throwing my 11x made me realize how much more glide and speed they had over the Stalkers, which is what I felt like the Stalker lacked. The Stalker is one of those discs that always looked like it was going to go further than it did, the air seems to really drag it down.

I also really enjoyed throwing my OLF's, but not sure where they'd fit in my bag.

I know mold minimalism is big here, but a little conversation I had with my friend who's going to be my partner at the Monster Tournament late this month got me thinking. I explained to him, Orcs are consistent for me and I can shape lines with them well, but Destroyers are more reliable for long hyzer drives and can sometimes gain me a bit of extra distance. I said I can't really shape lines with them though so I never wanted to bag them. He said long hyzers is all he uses them for, and I know he loves them and carries multiples.

I'm starting to kind of question the "do everything" driver mentality I've had I guess. I used to have a Firebird and Roadrunner for strong left and right turns, then a Teebird as my main driver and a Leopard for a shorter turnover disc. That setup worked pretty well, and I think I might go back towards something like that. I have a beat TB that will do turnovers, so I'll experiment with having that or a Leopard for my medium range turnover driver. Pred is my headwind disc, TB will be my main driver, Orc can be my distance line shaper, RR for long rollers and turnover drives and possibly a Destroyer for reliable long hyzers with better wind resistance than the Orc. Seems complicated to just Stalker/Pred/Orc, but I can think of legitimate uses for all the discs.

Gonna throw some Monster holes tomorrow with my friend and we'll see. Thinking drivers will be TB/Pred/RR/Orc/Destroyer. Still don't know where the OLf would get used, as much as I like the mold.

Thatdirtykid said:
I would also try the XL in ESP (or even Z) it is longer than a cyclone, not quite as good at as many lines, but great for flex shots (which the cyclone isn't) and is decent at anny's, straight with fade, and nuts straight. If you can buy in person, buy one with a higher PLH and one with a lower. Thats what I am running now, they compliment eachother very well without one having to be trashed.

Does the low PLH one have enough LSS to consistently fight out of turns? How far are you throwing them?

Mike C said:
The Stalker is one of those discs that always looked like it was going to go further than it did, the air seems to really drag it down.

Yeah, I thought it was quite misleading as well. Right when it looked it was going to sail and cruise, it'd drop or fade sooner than expected. It this that fat bead on the bottom that is doing it....I swear. Makes me wonder how that disc would fly w/o it and then maybe it would be the longer Buzzz that we all expected it to be or as advertised by DC.

Sean40474 said:
Mike C said:
The Stalker is one of those discs that always looked like it was going to go further than it did, the air seems to really drag it down.

Yeah, I thought it was quite misleading as well. Right when it looked it was going to sail and cruise, it'd drop or fade sooner than expected. It this that fat bead on the bottom that is doing it....I swear. Makes me wonder how that disc would fly w/o it and then maybe it would be the longer Buzzz that we all expected it to be or as advertised by DC.

Start a campaign for them to release a Stalker SS. :)

ForeverBlue232 said:
Sean40474 said:
Mike C said:

Start a campaign for them to release a Stalker SS. :)

It would be much more understable without the bead and much less buzz-like as well.

Latest posts