• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cornhole on ESPN 2 this afternoon....Where has disc golf gone wrong?

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
I was at the gym this afternoon and on ESPN2 is some people throwing bean bags at slanted wooden planks with a hole. They all are taking this seriously, logos, sponsors...its on ESPN2. I am thinking how can something like this be such a....thing and something as incredibly athletic as pro level disc golf not be more of a thing. IDK kinda blows my mind.

It's way easier and cheaper to broadcast a cornhole tournament. The network can actually make money doing so.

Edit: JayDub pretty much already said this

I completely understand dg not being worth the time or effort to broadcast.

But I can't imagine actually watching, and being entertained by, a corn-hole broadcast. I'd rather fold laundry.

I suppose I'm just surprised they pull enough viewership for corn-hole to be worth it, either.

I was at the gym this afternoon and on ESPN2 is some people throwing bean bags at slanted wooden planks with a hole. They all are taking this seriously, logos, sponsors...its on ESPN2. I am thinking how can something like this be such a....thing and something as incredibly athletic as pro level disc golf not be more of a thing. IDK kinda blows my mind.

I hate to rub salt in the wound, but there was another cornhole league on ESPN at the same time.

Have you looked around this country? I don't see why cornhole getting broadcast time should come as a surprise. It's a game played with a drink in hand that requires very little movement or athleticism, as classically defined. And the sponsorship is obvious (grills, meats, etc.). And people can watch it in person or at home with a drink in hand and without having to move. And the playing space is air conditioned.

I completely understand dg not being worth the time or effort to broadcast.

But I can't imagine actually watching, and being entertained by, a corn-hole broadcast. I'd rather fold laundry.

I suppose I'm just surprised they pull enough viewership for corn-hole to be worth it, either.

Most of what's on TV, I'm surprised that anybody watches. For much of it, given only two alternatives, I'd prefer to watch you fold that laundry.

For all you guys know, that cornhole event you saw was a glorified infomercial that was paying ESPN for airtime.

But yes, let's all go have an inferiority complex nervous breakdown over this by throwing our discs into a bonfire and yelling "Not on ESPN? Not my sport!"

Dut dut dut. Dut dut dut.

In addition to what Jay Dub said, I believe it was Jamie Thomas that said, "We are not as cool as we think we are."

Look, I love Disc Golf, you love Disc Golf, reality is, there are probably less than 250k of us in the world that do to the level of watching others play it.

Yea some good points made. A whole lot of defensive, aggressive and passive aggressive comments as well =)

I watched competitive axe throwing for an embarrassing stretch of time once. I kind of like having easy (free) access to good disc coverage. Don't feel like it's in a bad spot.

I'd rather watch Cornole on tv than e-sports. I've twice tuned into the Overwatch League because the owner of our local NHL team also owns the Vancouver Titans.

I felt like I was going to have a seizure. And I still don't know what the point of the match play is.

I watched competitive axe throwing for an embarrassing stretch of time once. I kind of like having easy (free) access to good disc coverage. Don't feel like it's in a bad spot.

I practiced, like with the intent of entering a competition, competitive axe throwing for an embarrassing period of time (a month or so) about thirty years ago

We have cornhole leagues year round where I work (winter, spring, summer, fall).

They get 40 players every week, plus spectators and play for big prizes.

They can play inside if need be (AC or heat).

Plus they drink a lot, so it makes us even more money.

Much easier to set up, not much space required and friends/spectators can hang out and drink.

Pretty easy to see why it would make it on ESPN2.

Easy to film and easier to find sponsors.

Latest posts