• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crackin' Plastic! Break any discs lately?

WesV1

Par Member
uNicedmeMan said:
inthedrift said:
Marauder said:
Good: Played ok on Saturday.
Bad: A lot of easy missed putts inside the circle
Ugly: My idea to throw a seasoned 12x KC Roc in cold weather... Shattered into tiny little pieces off the first tree off the tee.... first throw of the round. She'll be missed. :cry:

Damn! How cold was it when your Roc shattered? I shattered a DX last winter on a day that probably topped out at 6 degrees or so. I took my Rocs out of the bag this winter - didn't want to lose/break another as they take so much time to work in. I'm throwing the Core, the Fuse, and a NEW DX Roc to fill the stable slot.

I too broke a seasoned roc this past weekend. It was my second warmup throw for an Icebowl and i cracked it right in half on a tree. My own stupid fault though. I generally take my seasoned rocs out and use my mako, only problem there is my mako is white and there was snow on the ground. I need to get a contrasting color, straight outta the box, premium mid for situations like that.

Good thing is I have oodles of money rocs waiting to take the place of their fallen brethren.

I have cracked 5 discs in the last year:
2 year old DX Roc - sky roller onto hard pan. Finished out the roll, but had a nasty crack from the rim to the center.
1 year old M Wizard - ~120 foot upshot off the front of the cage. Cracked from bottom to top of rim.
2 year old M Wizard - Sat unused for 6 months, then I pulled it out and aced the first day. Next round, hits a tree, gets a *huge* "V" shaped crack in the flightplate only! No rim damage, just the flightplate, weird one.
>5 year old DX Cobra ("Long Range Driver) - Last warmup throw before the "two minute" call of a tournament round. Hits a tree ~80ft off the tee, smashes into three pieces. An interesting discussion ensues regarding the legalities of shattered plastic - for the record, you play the biggest chunk.
>4 year old DX Roc - ~150 ft drive, hits a tree and cracks from rim to middle of flight plate. Had bought this one used, so I suppose I kind of saw it coming.

While I do live in a pretty mellow coastal climate, I do usually leave my disc golf bag in the car. So I can't help but wonder if temperature fluctuations have some effect on the durability of base grade plastic. Kinda makes sense.

I switched over to throwing Buzzz's, Buzzz SS's, and Meteors this year (LOVE EM), where I used to carry 3 or 4 different DX Rocs. (Still have 10 in various stages I can't bear to part with, though). I couldn't bear to break in another disc for a year or two, only to have it shatter on me. Loss - that I can live with, out of sight, out of mind. But to still have the remnants of that perfectly broken in go-to midrange - that was too much to bear.

So, you guys ever crack any plastic?

My understanding is that UV light has a bigger effect than temperature fluctuation. I leave my discs in the car year round in Iowa, but don't play that much and I don't have problems with discs like that cracking that fast. I'd guess they see a lot more temperature fluctuation but a lot less UV light than your discs.

I have had one new DX Teebird get a tear in the flight plate after hitting the corner of a metal electrical box (I guess I got the nose down because it punctured it through the top), but I'm not sure that's the same thing.

I leave my discs in my car all year long in wisconsin and I have only broke two discs that were both this winter. Two glow kc pro aviars. I was clearing snow off and tapped them on my knee and crack. Should have pulled the second one out of my bag after the first one broke.

I've broke lots of discs, usually older ones that have had a ton of use. I think the mold I've cracked the most is wizards, followed by rocs, then various other discs. I had two CE eagles crack in the same week on me. Both had bubbles you couldn't see in the rim and cracked along them.

Wizards, Sabres and Cam Todd Challengers. Now that I am throwing roc's, I would guess I will eventually have to add them to the list as well.

I cracked my favorite putting wizard the other day. Hit dead center chains...splashed them just right and the putt hit the pole and cracked the darn thing.

Nothing recently, but all 3 discs I've broken have been very beat rocs: original san marino, 8x kc pro, and 2000-2001 era dx rancho. The sanny hit a branch about 5ft in front of me and exploded into pieces, but the other 2 just cracked from rim to center.

WesV said:
I switched over to throwing Buzzz's, Buzzz SS's, and Meteors this year (LOVE EM), where I used to carry 3 or 4 different DX Rocs. (Still have 10 in various stages I can't bear to part with, though). I couldn't bear to break in another disc for a year or two, only to have it shatter on me. Loss - that I can live with, out of sight, out of mind. But to still have the remnants of that perfectly broken in go-to midrange - that was too much to bear.

I did the same after breaking my second beat Roc. I MAY end up throwing Rocs again at some point but for now I'm rocking the Lat mid lineup. Couldn't really handle the heartache again.

Broke a dx beat in Roc. Went for an approach shot and nailed a tree. It broke from the center of the flight plate through the rim.