• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Yup. It's one of my favorite discs for a controlled forehand. I can turn it over (probably OATing it) when I try to throw it 100%, but I get great controlled lines around 75% to 85%. I throw Z

Yep, exactly. Such a good controllable disc.

There are Cryztal Z Challengers out there, Cryztal FLX, and ESP FLX (may be OOP?). The X Softs have the best feel IMO, for touch shots, but aren't the most OS. A 2007 stiff Cryztal Z is the most OS one that I have, followed by the original Z FLX. Great driving putters. As far as a replacement, the PA1 doesn't feel identical, but has some added HSS.

I wonder if that ESP FLX Chally that was in the bins of my local league is still there. How flat are the Z FLXs?

I'm glad I went down this rabbit hole. Somehow I also missed the Undertaker. Looks like it's available in Z-Flx and could be a nice complement to my Z-Flx Heat, which I use a LOT.

I've gone with Undertaker & Heat this year to cover my distance driving needs, I bag the three following types.

Heat is a good straight to understable driver that is sneaky long
X Undertaker breaks into a nice straight to stable flyer while the Z Undertaker is a bit beefier.

Anyone else here frustrated DC doesn't offer a KC Pro type plastic for putters? I want a KC Pro Roach & I want it now.

...or something like p line. Pro D and Soft X don't hold up. Jaw breaker is pretty inconsistent run to run. Seems like JB is a work in progress.

Anyone else here frustrated DC doesn't offer a KC Pro type plastic for putters? I want a KC Pro Roach & I want it now.

Yeah. Im a huge discraft fan but the base plastic is garbage. Even jawbreaker gets gouges really easy. Even tried the DGA base blends and it was worse.

All my bag is discraft except putters. Had to go back to the wizard

Yeah. Im a huge discraft fan but the base plastic is garbage. Even jawbreaker gets gouges really easy.

I only use Pro D & JB for putting so I really don't notice dramatic gouging. I just don't like soft flight plates. Always get more spring from my fan grip from firm plastic like KC Pro or 350g. I keep bouncing back & forth between McPro Aviars & JB Roaches. I love the shape of the Roach so much more but the feel of the McPros are perfect.

Anyone know if Discraft is doing any other.olds in the same ESP blend that was used for this year's ace race disc?

Really liking the feel and grip of that plastic now that colder temps are starting.

My buddy found one of my old discraft predators in his closet. Was thinking of bagging it in place of my firebird. Before I do though I wanted to know if it has any kind of value. Can someone here let me know? I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 53
My buddy found one of my old discraft predators in his closet. Was thinking of bagging it in place of my firebird. Before I do though I wanted to know if it has any kind of value. Can someone here let me know? I would appreciate it.

The major disc retailers are all selling Fly Dyed Z Predators, so yours will not have any more value than normal retail.

How old? Is it "old mold" or new? I.e. does it have no bead or a small "pseudo bead?"

It looks like it doesn't have the Shaky Z from the real old stuff.

I only use Pro D & JB for putting so I really don't notice dramatic gouging. I just don't like soft flight plates. Always get more spring from my fan grip from firm plastic like KC Pro or 350g. I keep bouncing back & forth between McPro Aviars & JB Roaches. I love the shape of the Roach so much more but the feel of the McPros are perfect.

I admit I haven't felt a KC Pro Aviar in well over a decade so I don't know exactly how the new ones feel. But, if they are similar to the old KC pro Aviars and Rocs of the past they were a fairly firm stiff plastic, correct? If you are looking for a stiff putting plastic how about the Crazy Tuff. The CT plastic is definitely on the stiffer side. They have done a number of runs of CT challengers and one of Magnets, but no Roach's as far as I know.

I would be pretty happy with a nice firm run of JB.
But without the pastel JB colors.

Have you felt any of the original blend Jawbreaker discs from the recent (re?)releases? They have a very different feel than the regular Jawbreakers and they look better IMHO as well. I have seen Challengers and Roachs in the Original Blend JB. The ones I have seen have been in brighter red,white, and blue color combos.

If you are looking for a stiff putting plastic how about the Crazy Tuff. The CT plastic is definitely on the stiffer side. They have done a number of runs of CT challengers and one of Magnets, but no Roach's as far as I know.

I haven't gotten a hold of any CT but I know it was a limited run. Your putter is such an important relationship & I don't want to base it on a limited/hard to find plastic. They need a production firm plastic like KC Pro.

JB Pro would be a good name for a production run of more firm Jawbreaker.

I had heard that CT (crazy tuff) was supposed to be a bit of a shot at Cam Todd so hopefully they would drop that name. Cam seems like a good guy.

I just recently kicked the champ firebird out of the bag and trying out an ESP predator. Has more glide and distance potential, with that unique "slicing" fade as opposed to that firebird "dump".

I haven't gotten a hold of any CT but I know it was a limited run. Your putter is such an important relationship & I don't want to base it on a limited/hard to find plastic. They need a production firm plastic like KC Pro.

JB Pro would be a good name for a production run of more firm Jawbreaker.

I had heard that CT (crazy tuff) was supposed to be a bit of a shot at Cam Todd so hopefully they would drop that name. Cam seems like a good guy.

They were a limited run, but are not hard to find. Sun King still has three different variations of the CT Challengers in stock (Special Edition, Photon Glo, and UV). Putters are about the only thing I have no trouble with using limited or harder to find runs. For the most part you are least likely to loose putters and for most people the one or two discs they have had the longest in the bag tend to be putters.

The CT seem to fetch $10-20 each new so nothing to extreme price wise either. I haven't had any trouble buying some used ones in the past year for reasonable prices on some of the Facebook disc golf groups.

The original Cam Todd Challengers were a tour fundraiser for Cam. You could only buy them from him. I putted with the first run orange ones (which they copied the circle D stamp for the Crazy Tuff version) for years and owned some of the 2nd run signature ones as well. They were a great putter. They weren't as stiff as the current Crazy Tuff, but had a tendency to crack after while.

Cam seems like a good guy because he is. I have to say almost all of the touring pros I've had a chance to meet or to hang out with for a period of time have been great.

How old? Is it "old mold" or new? I.e. does it have no bead or a small "pseudo bead?"

It looks like it doesn't have the Shaky Z from the real old stuff.

they switched from the two point stamp to the circle stamp on z plastic back in 2007-2008ish. there are definitely people out there looking for this z plastic from that era.

They were a limited run, but are not hard to find. Sun King still has three different variations of the CT Challengers in stock (Special Edition, Photon Glo, and UV). Putters are about the only thing I have no trouble with using limited or harder to find runs. For the most part you are least likely to loose putters and for most people the one or two discs they have had the longest in the bag tend to be putters.

The CT seem to fetch $10-20 each new so nothing to extreme price wise either. I haven't had any trouble buying some used ones in the past year for reasonable prices on some of the Facebook disc golf groups.

The original Cam Todd Challengers were a tour fundraiser for Cam. You could only buy them from him. I putted with the first run orange ones (which they copied the circle D stamp for the Crazy Tuff version) for years and owned some of the 2nd run signature ones as well. They were a great putter. They weren't as stiff as the current Crazy Tuff, but had a tendency to crack after while.

Cam seems like a good guy because he is. I have to say almost all of the touring pros I've had a chance to meet or to hang out with for a period of time have been great.
I have one of the Photo Glo CT challengers, it's very comparable in stiffness to a KC aviar but it's the slickest disc I've ever held. I even tried rubbing it upside down on some smooth concrete to rough it up a bit and I still get bad mis-releases with it

Latest posts