• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creative ways to pair up for doubles

BIG MACK

Birdie Member
Does anybody know of fun, cool, and/or unique ways to pair up players for random draw doubles? Out here in Colorado, we typically pull paired playing cards or flip discs.

Thanks!

We actually have a league up here in Maine (I use the term league loosely) where we meet every wednesday night during the summer and we have random A and B pool doubles. The people that run the shop keep track of their players scores and they average out your scores. Depending on who shows you draw a line and everyone above becomes B pool, everyone below becomes A. Random draw A matched with Random draw B. It really evens out the playing field and makes for a ton of fun.

I wish I could take credit for this... but the guy who runs our local double toss has pairs of matching microbrew bottlecaps (in a crown royal bag). Matching pairs form teams. And there's numbers on the back for the starting hole. (2 teams per hole.)

We do the card draw but experienced players get black cards and newer players get red. Helps new players get introduced to the older players in a more comfortable setting and they tend to learn a bit if they're not to shy to ask questions.

Flip discs.

Heads stay in one group tails go to the other. Keep flipping until everyone has a partner. The only thing this doesn't help with is the starting holes/groups playing together.

Everyone puts their mini in a box. Whoever is running the show pulls two minis out .....they are partners. Continue until all the minis are gone.

We use poker chips with numbers on them here. Or, if we have power, a small excel script that uses the rand() function.

Two of my local leagues have gone to the poker chips with numbers written on them. The numbers are from 1 to 150 and one "pick your own partner chip". If there is an odd number of players then there is a "voluntary" flip off for Cali ( one player plays alone but gets one soft mulligan per hole).

It is sort of a shame that the Cali option exists because if one of the top players gets Cali it is almost an unfair advantage. Of course, if a very weak player were forced into being Cali it would be a huge disadvantage. I'm not sure there is a better alternative, though. It seems a little harsh to exclude the last odd numbered player to register.

I am also not fond of the pick your partner chip. I guess it is just as random as drawing any particular partner but something about it seems wrong.

A Pro/Am split creates generally fairer teams. The best thing about a random approach (where the best players might get paired together) is that the good players like it. If the good players aren't happy with a league format then they just go off on their own and play. For young or developing players there is a big benefit to playing along with and observing good players. They might "pay" for the privilege but no one becomes good without paying some dues.