• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form

ballardthedome

Par Member
Finally got a camera, so time to post a video and see if anyone can help with improving my form. I'm topping out about 330 feet, though average drive is around 300.

Of more importance to me though is how do I stop stumbling/falling on my follow through? There are some tees I play on where that is really dangerous. :(

https://youtu.be/xSbMb6JPuuc

Greatly appreciate any feedback, thank you!

BDA

The forward movement is coming from not bracing your weight against your front foot all the way- what's part of making that happen is you are pulling with your shoulder ahead of your elbow and its cranking all your upper body weight over your plant foot.

What helped me a little (I still have some problems with it) is focus on getting your elbow way out in front earlier. Before your shoulders open toward the target at all. Keep your head down and let your arms and shoulders pull it up on your follow through. Sidewinder22 and HyzerUniBomber have some great videos of drills that can help you get the feel of some of the concepts.

Oh man that is some serious collapsing lawnchair action into the finish trying to shift your weight way too much. Many players including myself have been conceptually where you are right now and it's going to feel like a wild journey to be stay in balance and posture. You will likely have to change your grip/orientation and swing plane. It can be a chicken/egg scenario compensating for your grip/swing plane or over the top posture/ reacting to out of balance condition.

You are turning your rear foot too far back/weight heavy on heel and leaning back over the rear leg outside of your posture/balance. You then throw/tip yourself/upper body over the top your front leg forward and off balance/posture. You are really trying to load your weight/upper body over your rear leg instead of turning inside your posture to load/coil into your rear hip with the rear foot ready to leverage/turn you forward in balance from your rear instep(not the rear heel/knee).

You want to throw the disc more like a heavy sledgehammer, you should stay more centered/balanced/braced and throw/heave the heavy momentum around you(think being able to perpetually swing the hammer around you back and forth or 360 like an olympic hammer thrower), instead of you throwing yourself around it or it throwing you around off balance.

Also practice throwing with your putters, mids, and some fairway drivers. Leave the overstable and high speed drivers alone for awhile, they are the root of lots of evil in learning technique.

Note your rear leg in the right pic, your rear knee is almost 90 degrees turned further back than the pros. The pros are striding more sideways and upright and still turning back until they plant, while you have already extended your arm/disc back and are leaning further back.

In the middle pic your are past your front foot and over the top. The pros rear knee is under the rear hip, so they are more upright moving/striding forward and behind the front foot.

Last pic in the finish you are trying to not faceplant as your posture has collapsed. The pros have extended their posture and remained in dynamic upright balanced finish position.

Everything in here will probably help:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

SideW

Usually I don't critique on this forum. Variety of reasons mostly due to my time and I do one one on one consultations for a fee. Free information is well take it for whats it worth-nothing.

But you have some critical issues at the end of your swing/finish that need addressed.

Last edited:
SideW

Usually I don't critique on this forum. Variety of reasons mostly due to my time and I do one one on one consultations for a fee. Free information is well take it for whats it worth-nothing.

But you have some critical issues at the end of your swing/finish that need addressed.

Your lack of punctuation makes parts of this almost unreadable.

Free information is worth nothing?

SideW

Worth nothing? Since I've been taking advice from SW and practicing his drills and some from others here, I've added 100 feet of consistent distance, more accuracy, and less muscle pain in the past year. sure isn't nothing.

Doug and Sidewinder, thank you soooo much for taking the time to look at this and provide advice.

Sidewinder, can't believe how much time you put into pulling out individual shots, comparing to the pros and analyzing for me. Restores my faith in the internet. :)

Looks like I've got some serious work to do!

Thanks again.

BDA

Sidewinder has been taking ton's of time out of his life to help TON'S of poor form gofers in the 3 years I have frequented this section of the forum. He is truly an absolute blessing to most of us who still have not found our swing. He is what is "right" with our sport and is absolutely, as my buddy here in San Antonio, Joe Rotan say's, trying to "Leave it better than he found it". In my humble opinion, Those who have the knowledge of the game and either do not share it or charge for that knowledge (Many simply can not afford ANY expense not committed to family sustainability) are a HUGE part of what is wrong with our sport. Just my opinion.

By no means should I be crituiqing anyones form, but I recently was having a problem similar to yours where I was getting my shoulders well ahead of my lower body causing me to throw off balance.

After reading some of the numerous articles on this site I realized that I was accelerating to quickly from full reach back instead of naturally pulling the disc into my right pec and then powering through. This has seemed to allow me to maintain my balance all the way through my throw and follow through.

By no means an expert but thought I would offer some advice that helped me.

Latest posts