• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Cycling Distance drivers for 9/10 speed

I have cycled Predators, Avengers, PDs and OLFs. They all work great. I guess my favorite would be OLFs. I like discs that have a little turn in thier flight. If I don't want the turn, I release with a little more hyzer. I am a XL thrower too. The X XLs cycle great.

I think the XLs adn OLFs would work great together. Good setup.

I use to be a PD thrower but have backed off to the Eagle (EX). One of my first dye jobs was a 1.2 MOLF that I dyed with my wife. I still have it and I'm not ever going to trade it but I'm thinking about throwing it some more to see if I might go the OLF route. I initially liked the PD more and thought the OLF was a little more beefy than what I liked, but I'll have to revisit it. I will say, however, I like my current setup so it may be hard to beat.

I think the XLs and OLFs would work great together. Good setup.

I use to be a PD thrower but have backed off to the Eagle (EX). One of my first dye jobs was a 1.2 MOLF that I dyed with my wife. I still have it and I'm not ever going to trade it but I'm thinking about throwing it some more to see if I might go the OLF route. I initially liked the PD more and thought the OLF was a little more beefy than what I liked, but I'll have to revisit it. I will say, however, I like my current setup so it may be hard to beat.

The OLF/XL combination works for me. I also like the Eagle Xs. I use to ride with the Eagle X/XL combo which worked great. To me a XL has a similar rim and feel to the Eagle X. The OLF is a disc that I keep going back to. It is a great disc. However it is difficult to find the good ones. It sounds like the new 1.4s are a step in the right direction.

On another note. My second favorite 9 speed cycling diver is the ESP Predator. They beat in at a decent rate and are a thing of beauty once they start that process. Once broken in, they fly about 20 feet further. The Zs are great to bookend the overstable side. Breaking in a Z takes years. It never happened for me. The ESP takes about a month or two.

I ran Pred, OLF, XL for a long time. It was one of my most solid driver lineups. I have press broken in enough they cover everything to an XL and overlap OLDs a bit as well

The OLF/XL combination works for me. I also like the Eagle Xs. I use to ride with the Eagle X/XL combo which worked great. To me a XL has a similar rim and feel to the Eagle X. The OLF is a disc that I keep going back to. It is a great disc. However it is difficult to find the good ones. It sounds like the new 1.4s are a step in the right direction.

On another note. My second favorite 9 speed cycling diver is the ESP Predator. They beat in at a decent rate and are a thing of beauty once they start that process. Once broken in, they fly about 20 feet further. The Zs are great to bookend the overstable side. Breaking in a Z takes years. It never happened for me. The ESP takes about a month or two.

It seems like a lot of people that throw speed 9 disc go the moderately overstable route and complement that with something that is a little slower and understable. I use to do that with a PD/Leo combination. Now I've reversed the order and throw something a little slower (EX) with a stable to understable speed 9 (OLS).

I like the fact that it doesn't take near as much to get an EX up to speed to make it go far. While I've had some really great shots with the PD, it takes more to get it up to speed. I came to the conclusion that I would rather throw a distance driver if I'm going to have to put more into the PD to get it out further.

A couple of questions about the OLF: do you all think that having a little less high speed stability helps with getting it up to its speed? Does anybody think the OLF is easier to throw than the PD?

PDs will work better if you are a Teebird kind of player. OLFs will work better if you are an Eagle type of player. Thunderbirds will work better if you are a sheep.

Oh, do you not like Thunderbirds? You should post about that more.

Sd86 vol. ii

The Thunderbird is a NEAR PERFECT disc aerodynamically speaking. Perfect disc is perfect. Just look at its perfect aerodynamicity.

A couple of questions about the OLF: do you all think that having a little less high speed stability helps with getting it up to its speed? Does anybody think the OLF is easier to throw than the PD?

I had typed out this whole spiel and decided it wasn't worth it.

Depends on the pd, depends on the olf. I get them both up to speed, that's not a problem. but the olf just flies farther for me. Even the new olfs with 0 turn out of the box fly farther than a pd with 0 turn for me. And I'm not even comparing a fresh pd here - I have a pretty beat up patent spd that still has 0 turn, juuuuust barely. I throw the fresh olf farther. Reverse is true too -If you take a molf vs a ppd of equal stability I'll throw the olf farther.

If you want to simplify things, then yes. In general the olf has less stability and probably makes it easier to throw. However, I don't feel the gap is significant unless you're comparing beefy patent spd and cpd to the olf. And even comparing like-for-like stability, it flies farther for me. You can't explain that.

Unless you're SD of course.

Last edited:
I had typed out this whole spiel and decided it wasn't worth it.

Depends on the pd, depends on the olf. I get them both up to speed, that's not a problem. but the olf just flies farther for me. Even the new olfs with 0 turn out of the box fly farther than a pd with 0 turn for me. And I'm not even comparing a fresh pd here - I have a pretty beat up patent spd that still has 0 turn, juuuuust barely. I throw the fresh olf farther. Reverse is true too -If you take a molf vs a ppd of equal stability I'll throw the olf farther.

If you want to simplify things, then yes. In general the olf has less stability and probably makes it easier to throw. However, I don't feel the gap is significant unless you're comparing beefy patent spd and cpd to the olf. And even comparing like-for-like stability, it flies farther for me. You can't explain that.

Unless you're SD of course.

What is your point of bringing my name into this?

I shouldn't comment as I have not thrown these enough. But the thunderbird looks wise is nearly flawless in its mold aerodynamics. I would go out on a limb and say that the thunderbird is the best molded disc in the 9/10 speed category. Period. And I'm a triology thrower!

The PD has a unique hook/lip thing on its wing. Very subtle.

I can't really say which is more accurate, more os, etc....

But I can say this the thunderbird nearly a perfect mold aerodynamically speaking not just looks smoother in the flight plate but goes further. But that distance may be because of higher glide content.

The pd feels a bit better in the hand I think. I think.

We really need an expert here on this one!

Oh man! Bad memory, I must be getting old.

My bad, hombre. I was totally wrong, it was doctor smooth.

My apologies.

I figured it was a jab at SD's constant high praise for Gstar. His undying love and appreciation of such great plastic.
I could be wrong.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:)

Im going to have to put in a vote for Orcs. For some reason I could just never get into PD's. A good cycle of Champion Orcs can cover almost every distance line you could imagine, and while you are waiting for a Champ Orc to break in you can toss a Pro Orc in your S/US slot. They won't cover every shot you could cover with Destroyers...namely the super OS skip disc slot; however, I have found that if you put in a Champion Monster it feels almost identical in the hand (maybe a little flatter) and is a hog. OS distance and skip shots for days. I have thrown Orcs on and off for years and this really has rounded out the cycle.

I started using OLFs for cycling a long time ago.

Began with a 1.2 QOLF overstable, 1.2 SOLF neutral to stable, and a MOLF neutral to understable. After finally losing the M/S, my QOLF had worn into an understable sweet spot and remains in my bag. Added a fresh 1.2 QOLF for overstable duties.

The PDs I tried were either too understable or overstable. The slight turn of the OLF is very useful for these types of distance shots, imo.

I've only thrown a 1.4 QOLF (and really like it) but it sounds like the 1.4 runs are getting back to the Orion's glory days. I'd suggest trying them out.

Well that rarely happens- someone else getting thrown under the bus on my behalf.

Last edited:

Latest posts