• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] D4

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I looked for a thread about Prodigy's D4, but didn't find one. Anyway, I threw one last week. This isn't the first time I've ever thrown one, but it was the first time in probably 5 years. Here are my thoughts:

Disc is 400G plastic, 174g. Plastic seems a lot like star, somewhat gummy. Big dome and a very low PLH. Just holding the D4 you can tell it's going to be pretty understable.

The flight numbers for the D4 are given as 12, 6, -3, 2. For the most part I agree with them, but I might make the high speed turn -4. The rim feels shallow (1.2CM) for being so wide (2.3CM). Obviously this isn't the widest rim driver available, but it feels plenty wide when you throw it.

The D4 is MUCH flippier than the D3. It doesn't take much arm at all to make the disc turn. I had to release the D4 on a pretty steep hyzer to keep it from flipping entirely. Even doing that resulted in quite a few shots that went right the whole way.

The D4 glides very well. I agree with the 6 rating. Big dome, and very floaty.

Late fade on the D4 was almost nonexistent. The disc just wants to track right the whole time. It doesn't ever seem to "hook up" and try to come back to center. If you miss right with the D4, it's going to stay there.

Overall distance was impressive. Right at about 450'. Could have been a little more, but the D4 is too finicky to lay into with full power.

Conclusions: The D4 is a fast, glidey, super understable driver. I feel like my 450' arm was overpowering the disc quite a bit. The D4 will turn over even at low speed, and I had a very hard time controlling it. I feel like the D4 is a good disc for practicing hyzerflips. You need a very good touch and consistent release to keep the D4 from turning over entirely. The D4 will work in calm or downwind conditions. If there's even a whisper of a headwind the disc will flip instantly and violently. I figure the D4 would work well for 350' max throwers.

Would I bag this disc? No. There are tons of other much better understable drivers out there. The D4 is just too flippy, and almost impossible to control. The D4 will leave the zipcode to the right if you turn it over too much. The D4 was fun to mess around with, but I don't see it as being viable on the course. It reminds me of a Havoc or lightweight Shryke. Lots of turn, and almost no late fade to bring it back.

D4- 13, 6, -4, 2.

save it for higher elevations... will fly with more stability, at least mine did when i was in colorado.