• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Riptide

KYdischippy

Birdie Member
Just stumbled upon this disc this weekend in search for a stable counterpart to my Elite X Wildcats. Come to find out it is basically a more stable esp Wildcat. Which would keep me from buying Z Wildcats and thus trusting in OOP discs. Problem is when I went to the DGA site to get more info on the mold, it was gone...No trace of it. So is the Proline Riptide OOP? It's still available at the major retailers, buy not on the DGA site...?

Yes, it is OOP. They essentially replaced it with the Undertow earlier this year. The Undertow is Sparkle plastic might fix your bill though.

I absolutely love my Proline Riptide. Every time I throw it in front of people they want to know what disc it is.

I've never thrown a Wildcat, but I wouldn't call the Riptide a stabler version of anything. This is an understable driver.

I use mine for primary 3 purposes:

Super slow sweeping hyzer.
Straight for 325+ with a right finish (RHBH).
Straight for 325+ with a S finish (RHBH).

I thought that the undertow was an understable fairway driver, while the Riptide is a speed 9/10 driver. Is this wrong? I already throw the cyclone for a fairway, no way I'm giving that up, best driver ever.

I havent thrown a riptide but ive thrown a bunch of wildcats and a couple glow tows.
In z plastic, the wildcat is a valk that you have to work a lil harder to get the d (read less glide).
The undertow is in a simillar speed catagory but really wants to fly (read tons of glide). Simillar to how rogues have more turn & fade compared to surges, the tow has a lot of turn and more fade then a wildcat (ime).
The tow has a rounded inner rim like the riptide iirc and will easily turn or roll for powered players.

Ok. How do the rims compare? I like the Wildcat rim with the real steep ramp at the inner portion (almost like a bead).

Thats the main difference in their profiles.

After re reading the op, i have to ask how the x cats are flyin?
I want to suggest an x avenger to compliment the x cats but an avgr would be likely to put your clone in danger....with that in mind, i might suggest a surge if you cant get over the tow's rim.

I really like the X Cats. My main one is a 168 and does a nice s turn or a great hyzer flip. I have a 148 that I throw on long turnovers, and use in tailwinds (so fun). And I actually just picked up a 170 that is a touch more stable than the 168. So I probably could get away with using a 175 as my stable Cat. Basically they fly like a longer cyclone for me, which I love. Anyway...about the rims. The Cat is about the widest rim I want both from a grip standpoint and speed. I used to throw warp speed, did the disc down thing and now I can't stand wide rims. Also due to throwing magnets, cyclones and comets, I just can't do a flat rim. I used to throw x avengers and liked the flight but the rim was so different from the clones I had release issues. So ya, has to be beaded or a steep ramp like the Cats. Sorry for the long post.

On an added note, I was checking out the rim on the Tsunami compared to the X Cat on altitudediscgolf.com and they look like a very similar shape. The rim width is also the same at 1.9cm...Could be an option. Anyone with info on the Tsunami in the different plastics and how it may compare to an X Wildcat?

Tsunami is the old mold Predator, gonna be alot more stable than a Wildcat

That's what I'm going for. Not so much meathook, but a good stable driver for both distance and powered down for fairway. What about the Tsunami in Pro, is it a meathook?

I've never thrown one but the proline is like star/esp. Don't think they are super meathooks & it should beat in pretty nice. The sparkles are supposedly more stable