• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA's new disc, the Torrent.

38321635.jpg

Retailers have them in stock. So what's the verdict from Torrent owners?

37094713.jpg

Last edited:
I threw one a couple time at NCDGC this past week ... less than 10 times and I never got a good clean rip/release on it due to the wide rim. I think I've got normal size hands and I prefer more 12 speed size rims.

I was not impressed. It had more lateral movement than my Nukes, less glide, and less distance overall. My Hurricanes even went farther than the Torrent. I may have just gotten a bad one, but that's my experience with it.

I threw one a couple time at NCDGC this past week ... less than 10 times and I never got a good clean rip/release on it due to the wide rim. I think I've got normal size hands and I prefer more 12 speed size rims.

You sure it wasn't because of that crazy wind we had to play in? :D

I got one at the NCDGCs as well and have to say I like it quite a bit. I plan to use it as a max distance disc for par 4s and such, and not as much as a placement disc. It has great glide IMO and the plastic is some of the best I can remember from DGA/Discraft. It would flip up from a little bit of hyzer then get a good sized turn and then fade back at the end. These are going to be serious bombers. I liked it so much that I ended up walking into the proshop and getting another for $11. Felt like I was stealing it.

I threw mine from ncdgc and it flies alright. huge rim that feels incredibly deep for a warp speed driver. the rim just feels really big.. but it will flip up and over pretty good but usually comes back. released flat it holds the turn to the ground at 375 or 400 feet. into a headwind I wouldn't plan on it fading unless u give it a lot of hyzer. but I really wasn't impressed with the speed.. supposedly a speed 14.. but I threw my destroyers and wraiths further. mine is 170-172 btw

Got minea ncdgc as well and it's a total dud. It would fly straight for 300ish then literally just fall steaight down out of the sky, this happened on almost every throw I had with it.

And I dont mean a hard LSS fade fall. I mean flat, straight down.

I don't know how DGA plastic is blended but my Torrent is slightly translucent, like it has more of the stuff that makes plastic SP. I have a Proline Squall that's the same way. My Proline Hurricanes are more rubbery after seasoning.

The first many throws in rounds with the Torrent were not good. I too was not getting the distance I usually get from my Hurricanes and trying to flex it out resulted in it dropping out of the sky. I figured it was because of the weight, 175g. I typically throw 164 to 168 for drivers.

Yesterday I took the Torrent, 3 Hurricanes, and a GL Bolt out to an unmarked field to give the Torrent another chance. Once I figured out how to throw the Torrent it out distanced everything else by 10 to 20 feet almost every time. For me the secret to the Torrent is that it must be thrown harder than I can comfortably throw on the course. Also, it may be starting to break in a pinch.

With a hard controlled throw I can get my Hurricanes to 350 feet depending on the elements and up to 400 when I'm dialed in. With that same amount of power the Torrent is only flying 330. I'm barely meeting the speed requirement of the Hurricane so the Torrent is simply too fast for me at this time. I will be on the lookout for a mid 160's weighted Torrent because there are opportunities around here to throw stupid hard.

The first many throws in rounds with the Torrent were not good. I too was not getting the distance I usually get from my Hurricanes and trying to flex it out resulted in it dropping out of the sky. I figured it was because of the weight, 175g. I typically throw 164 to 168 for drivers.

I had glide issues with my Canes at first, too. After some use, they've loosened up nicely. Once they break in and start holding, they can really bomb. I wonder if use will beat some glide into the Torrent.

I just received my 3 torrents in the mail, getting ready to head to the course to check them out against my nukes and cranks. Seems a little strange the responses I have seen to the torrent. Falling straight out of the sky in all. Profile wise, they almost look identical to some of the z glow nukes I carry. My guess is that they fly like a worn nuke. Grip and Rim feel very similar to a esp nuke. I throw 400-450 with nukes and cranks, I expect these to behave similar. We will see. I will post later with follow up.

We'll I threw my torrents. And as suspected they behave like seasoned nukes. I have three white torrents all at 170-172. They are very long and get down range quick. They are just like a low parting line nuke. A much better disc then a nuke ss. They plastic is nice and grippy, but slightly soft and immediately I had fear of hitting a tree with one of these. I threw them hard on a slight hyzer and they flipped to flat and went straight and finished with a slight fade. I was also able to throw them with more hyzer for a long range sweeping hyzer. I was in no wind and I don't think they would handle any headwind, but in low wind and tailwind they will go boom. Will I shed my nukes and cranks for them? No but I bet I keep one in there to play around with. But it definitely gives dga a good really wide rim disc they dont have in their lineup. So all those in fear of them dropping from the sky, thrown with enough speed they go fast and far.

bbplayr21;2433363So all those in fear of them dropping from the sky said:
I may have to throw mine again. I have enough power to use max distance drivers, but the Torrent just didn't work for me.

I think you should try it again, they really did fly well for me, hard slight hyzer they popped up flat, just a little drift to the right then started to stable out. I really like the stability as they are now. What I am a little afraid of is as they wear in, I am guesing they will become a little to flippy to handle. Maybe not time will tell.

Not surprisingly the Torrent does not like head wind, at least the one I have doesn't. I place it a smidgen more HSS than a Bolt, which is great for me. Hopefully SP plastic is around the corner and is a touch more HSS. A Proline and SP should make a nice pair.

Agreed. Threw them in a fairly stiff headwind with as much hyzer as I could muster. They did indeed duck out in the wind. Where my stable nukes did not.

Got a white one that when thrown with modest hyzer into a head wind doesn't flip over. The Torrent is growing on me. Still hoping for an SP version.

I have a sp torrent. lol. they released some at the masters cup to their team members I think. I bought one off of them. Waiting for it arrive in the mail. They told me it was flying more overstable than the prolines.

I gotta be honest, I am making the switch to an all dga bag just for some fun, gonna be an easy switch considering I throw all discraft now. But I accumulated some pretty sweet discs in this process. Currently I have 3 first run torrents, 1 sp team torrent, 3 first run hurricanes, 1 shasta can sp flex hurricane, 1 sp flex team hurricane, 1 jon baldwin sp hurricane, Masters cup sp roque, sp tsunami, proline tsunami, proline undertow, sp squall, proline shockwave, 1 sp aftershock, 2 d aftershocks, 2 team sp breakers, 2 am wolrds proline breaker. and........gonna keep my challengers, i tried out some d titainics just like the challengers better. I used to throw magnets, but 3 years ago I made the switch to challengers and have been putting more consistent since.

I have a sp torrent. lol. they released some at the masters cup to their team members I think. I bought one off of them. Waiting for it arrive in the mail. They told me it was flying more overstable than the prolines.

What's your address and do you lock all of your windows?

They will release the sparkle torrents sooner or later, no doubt. Honestly I bought the 3 first flight hurricanes when they came out, threw them a little and then settled back into my forces and nukes. But since that time I am throwing harder and since I have revisited them they are doing completely different things. Used to be a meat hook. Now they are really flying like a nuke but 20 or 30 feet shorter. I mean an absolute blast to throw. Hyzers, straight, and any. Really enjoying coming back to these hurricanes with a little more arm speed. When I realized the first flights werent as stable as I once thought. I went ahead and bought the jon baldwin sp cane. Then the DGA team members told me the sp flex canes, were even more stable, picked up two of those.