• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Differences in how different plastics fly / Breaking in new plastic

mudkip

Up to now, I've been throwing a DX Valkyrie and Wraith for my long distance driving needs. These discs are pretty much beat to hell and aren't flying like they used to. I bought another Wraith and Valk in Star plastic with the same weights but they don't fly the same. Both want to dive left no matter how flat I release. Does Star plastic just take longer to break in? I went out and bought another Wraith and Valk in DX plastic and they are flying as good as the others did.

DX breaks in very quickly, and has more glide than star or champ plastic. You could try those two molds in pro instead, it starts off like an already broken in disc, and is a little more durable than dx. Keep one of the star discs in your bag for the shots where you need a more overstable disc, eventually it'll break in and fly more like what you're looking for.

^ agreed champ plastic takes really long to break in. Maybe try lighter weights in star plastic it will make it easy to turn up the valks. Also some valks are really stable. I have noticed that dx valks fly different than premium plastics though. So just go with what works.

my suggestion is stay far away from DX and pro plastics which break in and change extremely quickly. Instead you should find a disc in star or champ that flies how you want when new. I can break in a dx destroyer into a flip and burn disc in just 3-4 rounds, yet my champions will take 50-60 rounds to take it down 1 notch of HSS and then they stay that way.

my suggestion is stay far away from DX and pro plastics which break in and change extremely quickly. Instead you should find a disc in star or champ that flies how you want when new. I can break in a dx destroyer into a flip and burn disc in just 3-4 rounds, yet my champions will take 50-60 rounds to take it down 1 notch of HSS and then they stay that way.

This is my philosophy as well. Why spend extra money. Why agonize over determining what stage of change your dx plastic is currently in.

The problem is those 50-60 rounds before you have one broken in to where you like it, and the 50-60 rounds after you lose that one you have perfectly broken in. I love broken in star plastic for drivers, but I keep some pro versions around for when I need something already ready to turn over or I lose the beat up one and don't have a backup beat up yet.

I find that I initially hate drivers in Champion. It takes lots of field use for those to fly well for me. Hate that pro doesn't last, as those are my best flyers.

The problem is those 50-60 rounds before you have one broken in to where you like it, and the 50-60 rounds after you lose that one you have perfectly broken in. I love broken in star plastic for drivers, but I keep some pro versions around for when I need something already ready to turn over or I lose the beat up one and don't have a backup beat up yet.

Not a problem for me, i buy them the way i like them and they don't break in enough to change it to something I don't like(well I'm sure eventually they would break in too far but I never really use the same disc for more than 2 seasons so I don't know how long that would take. Innova has plenty of discs, you can find one that flies exactly how u want out of the box. Destroyer a little too stable when new? - grab a teedevil. Teedevil still too overstable when new? - Grab an Archon.

I forgot to mention that blizzard is the exception, they beat in way faster than regular champ.

Last edited:

Latest posts