• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc design gimmicks or innovations?

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
I wanna know how everyone feels about the little innovations or gimmicks (depending on your view) you see disc makers come up with. Which ones have worked for you and which ones do you like? Which ones did you laugh at or find counterproductive to a good disc flight? Finally, which ideas do you have for these? What's something you always wanted to see in a mold?

For those who may not know what I'm talking about a few examples.....The cross hatching on the rim of the Impact for grip, the thumb trac on a Banger GT, the groove on a Innova Groove, and many others. I don't know if the gyro rim thing on MVP discs would fall in this category or not it's a bigger part of their disc design but I suppose for the sake of conversation it can be included.

Almost anything different will garner a following based on that alone...Whether or not it is truly an innovation is usually told as time passes. The idea either translates to other molds and is accepted by the masses or it just kind of fizzles out.

banger gts will never leave my bag, they just feel right in the hand

Regardless of how successful each "gimmick" or "innovation" actually is, I hope there continues to be more of them. My line of thinking is that, sure, disc companies can keep putting out the same discs that we are all used to, or they can try something new. This goes without saying that there will be a LOT of failures, but this doesn't mean that someone won't stumble upon something amazing. Regardless, there will always be the old tried and true discs to throw.

Anything to further the sport.

The crosshatching on the Impact was not for grip. The theory is that the crosshatching alters how air and friction goes over the disc and the lines displace air, thus creating glide. I think it's incredibly gimmicky, and for it to actually be true, it should be tested on other currently made discs.

I think Innova's Blizzard technology is a pretty good idea. It's great that high speed drivers can be made in lighter weights. Ultimately, I believe that it will change how people play the game and lighter weight discs will begin to become more popular than heavier ones.

Those 150 Class owners of CE and vintage Innova discs should begin holding their breath...

Although most everything from Aerobie is awesome, it's illegal. Quest also has some great stuff like Dimple Tech, and the Turbo Putter (illegal).

Last edited:
The groove in the Groove did what it was supposed to do. The problem is, it also made the disc way more nose angle sensitive, thus reducing it's consistency of flight.

One tech I think needs to bee looked into more is Gateway's Dimple Technology, found in the Diablo DT and Raging Inferno DT.

The dimple stuff from Quest, I believe is one of the few innovations that can actually be proven to be true. Obviously, it's the same idea as a golf ball, so there's more surface area, meaning more glide because there's more contact with air.

I've been meaning to try one out, how are they? Are they as straight as it's described?

just about. Horrible glide. I just use it for flicks and outta trouble approaches. I might pull it out once or twice a round.

The flight plate is so thick that the disc usually just sits doesn't roll too much.

No glide.
No glide.
No Glide.

The dimple stuff from Quest, I believe is one of the few innovations that can actually be proven to be true. Obviously, it's the same idea as a golf ball, so there's more surface area, meaning more glide because there's more contact with air.

The problem with it is that it doesn't work the same on a disc and a golf ball. The idea is to trip the flow to turbulent over the golf ball to reduce the wake and therefore the form drag. The flow on the underside of a disc is already going to trip when it hits the edge of the rim.

Additionally, reduction in forward drag allows you to throw a disc faster but as many people are noticing, faster doesn't always mean further. Disc flight dynamics are much more complicated than the flow around a sphere and until these companies start doing actual R&D every "innovation" is just going to be a shot in the dark.

Ehhhhhh not worth it then. Lots of discs are pretty damn straight (Axis, Comet, etc..)

The Arrow is ultra slow and has no glide. Very different than the Axis and Comet. I've played with a few guys who love their arrow for short flick approaches because it's fairly OAT resistant, a totally different shape than a "normal" disc, and it's very difficult to blow past the basket very far.

That being said, it's a crappy clunker, and it's totally not worth incorporating into your game.

I have a Gateway Diablo DT (Dimple Tech.) And I thought it had pretty good glide, and was almost similar to a Wraith, but after making about 4 throws with it the dimples were starting to get pretty clogged with mud (it was the day after a big rain storm), so it was kinda a bust. Haven't gotten out to a field since then to try it again now that I've rinsed it out.

MVP's GYRO tech. and Innova's Blizzard line are not gimmicks-they are just science. They work exactly as they are supposed to, and are just simple applications of what's covered in the most basic of physics classes.

I've tried Quest's dimple tech, and the principles don't carry over from golf balls, but their molds seemed to be crap anyways, so it could be hard to get an accurate impression.

The rings in Frisbees are a nice gimmick, but once they get dirt in them, you have to clean them out for the disc to stay balanced.

The crosshatching on the Impact was not for grip. The theory is that the crosshatching alters how air and friction goes over the disc and the lines displace air, thus creating glide. I think it's incredibly gimmicky, and for it to actually be true, it should be tested on other currently made discs.

yeah I read discraft's thought process behind it but I've never noticed a difference. Only the difference in the grip a little. I still like the disc and have one but I would also like to see it tested more.