• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop using the power pocket, Stop it!

Sheep

Sir, This is a Wendy's

"I dont care about distance"
Your whole schtick has been distance. this whole time.

"Distance is nothing more than the measure of your athleticism"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"This has always been about McBeth and what he does ... the double move"
Oh god the ground hurts, I fell out of my chair. Help me, I'm only 1 minute into the video.

gaining 30 feet in 2 months practicing 8 hours a day?
GTFO.

"I'm not super athletic"
You also started your whole video series on coaching about throwing far and unlocking the keys to distance.
So, is what you're finding out is that you were muscling the disc really really hard still and hurt yourself more and now you're just not athletic enough to throw from the back leg for that mega smash?

I'm just going to bring this out, because I remember his early early video's, a lot of which I believe he's removed, he talked about how athletic he was... Heck, he just did that more recently. Now he's not very athletic??? Whatever.
He talked about how athletic he was and how he had all this control over his fast twitch muscles. (like one of the few things he talked about over the whole span now that was more correct)

Basketball skills didn't transfer?
Did you not do the shuffle drill?
Then again, most basketball players I played against never seemed to have done the shuffle drill. As I could move sideways as fast as they could run and dribble.

Shuffle drill is very useful in disc golf.
We can then mix the shuffle drill up with an x-step.
Then we can do the other foot shuffle drill from soccer.

Oh and ..."thousands of hours over the summer."
/me rolls eyes

Now him talking here a bit into the video about disc golfers not getting the most out of their body and all that is entirely true.
Some pro players are atrocious. They just know how to take their poor form and work it down the course for some level of success because they have thrown that way for a long time.

Crap, gotta rewind.
He started talking smack and i started laughing to hard.

https://youtu.be/fwWp_9EaXc4?t=163

Okay, were back here at this time stamp now.

Now that I've picked myself back up off the floor from laughing and rubbed some cream on my fresh bruise.

"The power pocket is the opposite of the rubber band effect."

Okay.... Coach T...

... Coach T makes a dig at overthrow. "out in out"

Which, is literally what every player is doing. Out in out. Its just a really simplified way of explaining it.

"... So its not a complete double move"
He's referencing that if you want to do the elusive "double move" for "max D" you cannot use the power pocket.
Teach us Coach T... I wanna know the secrets.

"the moment a majority of disc golfers pull into the power pocket..."
If you had kept up with the times, Coach T, were actively trying to eliminate the idea of "pulling" the disc in general. It's a bad descriptor of the term that causes you to muscle the disc through the pocket.
Which, based on earlier parts of this video where he was pretty much arming discs before he tried harder makes sense he'd try and get away from this idea. And that's not a bad thing, cause you don't want to "pull and throw"
You want to create a swing.

Now he's going to start talking about this "sling shot" deal, essentially the idea that you want to jerk your body and arm forward before the backswing is completed.
This is how you hurt your shoulder and elbow, by jerking the joints.
Then he talks about using squish the bug to do that.

Lets take some face value of what he's talking about because while he has no clue what he's really talking about, he's not far off the idea of timing. The difference is he doesn't see the whole picture. Getting your backswing timing lined up with your body movement is super important, and he see's that. But it's not this jerky motion of trying to drive your arm before the backswing is even finished.
You need to look at it as a fluid motion, there should be no going back then jerking forward. But this smooth transition.
You can usually see it on the top down views of players, their backswing doesn't really have a direct stopping point back, it basically goes back and maintains a motion or a small loop.

"I start my rotation before my extension finishes.."

/insert picard facepalm meme image here

I believe what he's really talking about here though is setting yourself up for hugging yourself.
Being that he rarely throws on his channel anymore, its a lot harder to judge his current disc golf form.

So, one of the things he does talk about here is something I've been thinking about, which is loading the back shoulder muscles and joining them into the final drive of the swing. Because you can close your shoulders forward, then pull them back, like lets say, archery, and that's a really powerful muscle group expanding your shoulders out.
But I believe this is a muscle group that getting the timing correct on would be a really difficult thing to fully utilize it.

So, the double move, If I could just even throw this in there at this point. I think what he's really trying to explain is like when anime characters tend to power up. They hunch over and explode their chest forward and their shoulders back.
d23c1d3dd447c96cdd07b770995a476126d338c3_hq.gif

So you drive your off arm in early and your drive arm is trailing really late, this pulls the shoulders in really forward, then he's kind of explaining to just explode with the back.

However, this can be done far easier.
Which is the idea of the swim move. But instead of just jerking all those muscle groups, the swim move idea is to give you an anchor point to drive those back muscles with, vs just trying to chest bump your bro dude after a workout.

He has figured out that you want to drive the arm with the body at least.
But he just hasn't really found the steering wheel yet.

So, the rubber band effect.
This is something I brought up in a chat the other day.
A rubber band or a slingshot uses some medium to hold tension, then release that tension.

A slingshot that has been pulled back to anchor produces the same force when released if you hold it in that position, or you pull it back and then release it immediately.

The reason that slingshots and rubber bands seem to go faster when you jerk them back and release them is because you're not really releasing the band from the position that you anchored at, there is still some pull going backwards as the band beings to collapse.
The actual effect isnt' that much, and its very strenuous on any sort of device that works this way, And especially when you get into heavier power ones. Equal and Opposite force things.

Take for instance the really fast bow shooter guy on the internet that shoots insanely fast.
hes shooting like a 20lb bow, maybe 30.
Why? Because if it was 80+ he'd never be making those shots for one, but pulling the string back in that aggressive manor and acting like Legolas from lord of the rings, well, that would damage the bow over time.

When you release a bow string, its important for it to have weight on the string to push to help keep the bow from damaging itself and exploding.

our arm doesn't work like that.
It's got a few joints and the more weight we put into our hand then jerk (phrasing) the harder it will be on our joints if we dont use good posture.

So if you're trying to "jerk" your arm forward before the momentum of the backswing has gone neutral, something has to give.
So.. Why is Coach T wearing an Elbow sleeve?
Yeah. right there.

I'm really trying to find some levels of good that can come out of this guys video's.
But really it just ends up being a good example of misunderstanding what is actually happening in the pro form, and a lot of examples of how to hurt yourself, with a sprinkle of good information if you can manage to find the needle in the haystack, but that needle is actually a message that you need a decoder ring to understand.

In the end of conclusion of this silliness.
He makes a huge shot at the power pocket and how you need to stop using it, but never really talks about how to stop using the power pocket, but makes fun of using the power pocket.

This stuff is just almost pure clickbait at this point.

So, you're making fun of him making fun of the power pocket? Sorry, I just read your conclusion.

So, you're making fun of him making fun of the power pocket? Sorry, I just read your conclusion.

It's a person on the internet calling themselves a disc golf expert that basically says every other coach besides him is incorrect.

So yeah, I'm going to make fun of him in a way by attacking his bad information and bs.

I'm trying to at least point out what good I can in it.

And thank you for apologizing for the knee jerk response you had there.

Not really sure who this is or what this is. You do seem enthusiastic about it though. Never really worried about distance, most of my game is now, and always will be, about getting up and down. My YouTube feed seems to endlessly bring up these kind of instructional videos. I would rather go out and play. I supposed most of my career has been going on while videos were not a thing. We taught ourselves and one another. Heck, even with that method, you will always run across the guy in league that has "the secret". That one tiny piece that they are convinced is the inside info to great success. Of course, it is all so individual. Go throw, find joy, enjoy life.

Seems like the number of crappy disc golf YouTubers exploded last year.

Seems like the number of crappy disc golf YouTubers exploded last year.

Youtube is probably not a great platform for this stuff because it demands constant content. The content creators start watching each other, and reacting/copying each other.

I'm usually tipped off when I see revisions of previous concepts. Not a second stage, but a sort of "I didn't get this right the first time" situation.

I always think in terms of books. Get the content correct, then publish. If you don't know if the content is correct, don't publish and keep learning. A half-baked video is like a confession—"I don't know what I'm doing yet, but that doesn't stop me from seeking attention."

I saw this one a couple days ago, it must have been just before the power pocket one, talking front leg vs back leg drive with one of his students.

I didn't see quite the same thing he did in those videos. He's probably right that we ams open too early but that's not how he explains it.

I saw this one a couple days ago, it must have been just before the power pocket one, talking front leg vs back leg drive with one of his students.

I didn't see quite the same thing he did in those videos.

That's because "back leg throwing" doesn't actually mean anything, it just fits whatever he wants his content to be. He demonstrates "back leg throwing" as "squishing the bug" but then will show a clip of someone throwing correctly as an example of it.

Not really sure who this is or what this is. You do seem enthusiastic about it though. Never really worried about distance, most of my game is now, and always will be, about getting up and down. My YouTube feed seems to endlessly bring up these kind of instructional videos. I would rather go out and play. I supposed most of my career has been going on while videos were not a thing. We taught ourselves and one another. Heck, even with that method, you will always run across the guy in league that has "the secret". That one tiny piece that they are convinced is the inside info to great success. Of course, it is all so individual. Go throw, find joy, enjoy life.

It's the bad information out there that is the problem.
Slightly okay is fine, sometimes that helps people because its explained in a way that clicks with them.
When you're outright giving bad information that isn't good. It's good to point out the good and the bad. Not just constantly coddle each others kudo's all the time. Criticism is how we grow and get better.

Youtube is probably not a great platform for this stuff because it demands constant content. The content creators start watching each other, and reacting/copying each other.
I'm usually tipped off when I see revisions of previous concepts. Not a second stage, but a sort of "I didn't get this right the first time" situation.
I always think in terms of books. Get the content correct, then publish. If you don't know if the content is correct, don't publish and keep learning. A half-baked video is like a confession—"I don't know what I'm doing yet, but that doesn't stop me from seeking attention."

Which comes to this. Yes, This is the issue now. Its youtubers basically copying each other. Poorly.
Then if you want to discuss it with them they freak out and refuse to talk to anyone cause they are the coach and know it all.
Cool, well if your ideas cannot hold scrutiny, then you kind of suck.

I watched one of his videos and I gained 800 feet of distance in less than 2 minutes and am now the farthest throwing disc golfer in the world. Thanks Coach T!

Literally his whole comments section on youtube.

There's no such thing as a bad review. You're getting this guy MOAR CLICKS!!!1

It's fine. It's important to discuss the good and the bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuk7cbV2vms

By now he must be doing this on purpose just to make money right? He can't be this delusional for real.

He deleted my comment thread on the latest one.
"I need a name for this"

I replied "its called "squish the bug""

To which a few of his cronies jumped in there and were being hype men.

Belayed posted the squish the bug bad baseball video.
Then some guy asked about it and the thread suddenly got deleted. hahahaha.

I hate it being a bash fest in a way. but when you're teaching bad stuff, it needs to be called out.
Because people can get hurt. And sitting there in your video's just saying stuff like "these are really athletics moves, you might not be able to do them."
No, no they are bad motions that can cause injury.

He deleted my comment thread on the latest one.
"I need a name for this"

I replied "its called "squish the bug""

To which a few of his cronies jumped in there and were being hype men.

Belayed posted the squish the bug bad baseball video.
Then some guy asked about it and the thread suddenly got deleted. hahahaha.

I hate it being a bash fest in a way. but when you're teaching bad stuff, it needs to be called out.
Because people can get hurt. And sitting there in your video's just saying stuff like "these are really athletics moves, you might not be able to do them."
No, no they are bad motions that can cause injury.

Don't hate that it's a bash fest. People who exploit others because of their unfamiliarity with a subject deserve to be called out, especially when it's something that could cause someone to hurt themselves. People like him are a detriment to disc golf.

I watched one of his videos and I gained 800 feet of distance in less than 2 minutes and am now the farthest throwing disc golfer in the world. Thanks Coach T!

Hah! I can throw 1000 feet

down Mt Everest.

Maybe.

Don't hate that it's a bash fest. People who exploit others because of their unfamiliarity with a subject deserve to be called out, especially when it's something that could cause someone to hurt themselves. People like him are a detriment to disc golf.

Absolutely, but I think that with the popularity of his YT channel I think the reality is that he is perceived as an equal to overthrow, seabas22, other content creators. Go read the comments on his youtube videos. Seriously go read them, they think he is a visionary. On reddit when people ask for good youtube channels, slingshot is brought up in the same breath as other content creators.

As of the right now slingshot has 4x the subscribers that seabas22 does and about half of what Overthrow has. He reaches a lot of people. I think that you're going to see a lot more "double move" and "back leg throwing" on the course. Some of those people will figure things out on their own and credit Coach T and others will spin out on their back leg and be stuck in MA3 forever ...

In the meantime I am developing the "triple move" which is the "double move" plus a secret third thing you will need to subscribe to my patreon for

Latest posts