• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This grip lock thing needs to stop

Sheep

Sir, This is a Wendy's
This is why I get angry about content creators and complain. This is the stuff as to why I make a big deal out of coaches as a community talking about things.

FFS this just irritates me. I GET what the idea is they are trying to present, but it needs to stop because its a falsehood to begin with.

Alright, video one here is Robby kind of click baiting you on grip then talking about how mike asked him to basically death grip the disc to throw. He starts talking about it around the 11:20 mark. Cause... I guess time stamps dont work with the board tag for the inline video.
We should never, ever encourage the term grip lock, or tell people that they need to look for that grip lock feel.

People need to stop being allowed to make the excuse "i grip locked it."
No, you didn't grip lock it. You set your body up to throw EXACTLY where the disc came out of your hand.
You didn't plant properly, you didn't get your shoulders back into the swing, then you somehow managed to actually get your kinetic chain to hit at the right time with the bad form. Which this causes me some other annoyances from the 3rd video.

I really wish when people made video's like this one, because the rest of the video is great, but I think the warning should have came at the start from Mike before the content of what he had him do.
Cause.. it's kind of weird, mike essentially says "I rarely have anyone do this, especially if I'm not there." And Robby is making a video publicly about it, so put the warning first to let people know, vs content and talking, what it did, then "oh, by the way be careful doing this." ... you know.
After everyone has already stopped watching cause the video is so long.

Then Josh here comes in on it. And I was gonna try and be done with this. Because I get upset with Josh because I project how I learn and how I feel about coaching onto him and expect him to do it like I would or many of us in here would.
As in.
Discuss the topic with others for validity. Especially if you're still lower on the overall scale of form theory and disc golf coaching in general. He'll get there, but ... I just keep projecting my need to talk to others to learn faster and better onto him expecting him to be intelligent enough to do it. ffs. Anyways. Sorry.

"what were looking for is an on time grip lock"

No. ****ing no. What people claim is grip lock is not grip lock and its just bad form.

Okay okay.

The idea and point of all of this is simple. You're trying to instill the idea of the "feeling" of what people think is grip locking into a proper throw.
But you're lying to people about what grip lock is, and that's the issue.

It's your timing coming together properly really late because you set your body up poorly to throw on the line you intended. Period.
Grip lock is SOOOO rare, it can happen, but its SOOO rare its practically not even worth talking about.

So, Robby and Josh are friends. So I'm guessing that Robby took it up with Josh to see what he thought. Cause.. They are friends and trust each other. Which make sense.
I'd be asking like 15 people about their thoughts, not just 1 guy who .. well. Has less knowledge on the subject than a majority of us chatting in here on a "casual" basis.

So I'm guessing this is the idea they came up with "grip lock can be good" and "you want to grip lock on target"
No, stop saying grip lock. Stop it.

Then these guys. Ugh.

What a lot of people have happen when they claim grip lock is bad hip setup and really bad rounding issues.

I see 2 main issues for late releases, Bad plant with a bad shoulder turn, so, what you do is all the correct mechanics, but you dont commit to any of them, so with your open to target stance, and your shoulder turn going half way, your body actually weight shifts properly for once and you send the disc down the target line with odly good form because all the timing things come together properly despite .. technically being bad form, but its good form.

Or, the classic rounding issue because you're rounding and all sorts of other things that the power to finally get the disc out happens way late, because you're never creating that snap effect until your body can no longer rotate and it has to snap the disc.

So now were into discussing "rounding is good" and "Grip locking is good."

Maybe I'm just the d-bag for wanting people to talk about things properly and stop lying to themselves and other students/players about what stuff is.

Use the correct language and stop letting people have these excuses.
"Oh i grip locked it"

No, you didn't commit to your shot for crap and thats where you aimed it with your body.
Thats why it came out like a bat out of hell.

The time stamp thing works, but it's a little tricky and for some reason not standard—if there is a standard? I had to mess with it but did get it to work, don't recall the specifics but you had to include both start and stop even if you didn't provide a stop time.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't like the Robbie C video given your stance. He basically dispelled the entire "grip lock" myth for beginners by pointing out he can death-grip a disc and throw it as hard as possible and it still doesn't come out late if he throws with good form. A LOT of people think the solution for "grip lock" is "i just don't grip the disc as tight" or "I just open my hand to let the disc go"...which is wrong. Doesn't his video basically eliminate "letting" people use it as an excuse given he just showed it's clearly not because you're squeezing the disc too hard?

I don't know if you're serious about the "rounding" part or just thought that was a fun addition to the rant...but that was so clearly a joke about "wouldn't it be wild if science figures out the key to throwing far and it includes something we're all so positive is terrible form?". I cannot imagine any disc golfer, even the most casual one, watching that and thinking "they're telling me I should round".

I'm kind of surprised you didn't like the Robbie C video given your stance. He basically dispelled the entire "grip lock" myth for beginners by pointing out he can death-grip a disc and throw it as hard as possible and it still doesn't come out late if he throws with good form. A LOT of people think the solution for "grip lock" is "i just don't grip the disc as tight" or "I just open my hand to let the disc go"...which is wrong. Doesn't his video basically eliminate "letting" people use it as an excuse given he just showed it's clearly not because you're squeezing the disc too hard?

I don't know if you're serious about the "rounding" part or just thought that was a fun addition to the rant...but that was so clearly a joke about "wouldn't it be wild if science figures out the key to throwing far and it includes something we're all so positive is terrible form?". I cannot imagine any disc golfer, even the most casual one, watching that and thinking "they're telling me I should round".

I liked the robby c video up until he started in on the "grip lock on target" thing.

Cause I believe we really need to stop letting this excuse fly and call it what it is.

A lot of people do not grip the disc well enough, and the subject as a whole is not talked about much. just the same for grip shapes and such.

The whole point of using the "grip lock" analogy is to try and drive you to that feeling, but people who grip lock are either rounding really bad, or its an aim thing as I stated.

So what they are going to start doing is searching for that "grip lock" throw, either hurting themselves, or just making their form worse and worse. And that's because we explain a mechanic incorrectly as grip lock, when it has absolutely nothing to do with "grip locking" the disc 99% of the time.

Generally its players making an excuse as to why they pulled the disc either via rounding/bad form or not setting their body up properly and being lazy, but getting a good kinetic chain as their body does the motion out of the desired time.

Kind of to the point though on the foundation podcast stuff. People get crazy ideas like slinky does with stuff, or others because they take things to seriously and people go try dumb things.
And... yeah. It's just madening to try and work so hard and 1 or 2 people can make a video with bad information, or miss explain something and it screws up tons of work from everyone else.

I motion to strike grip lock from the nomenclature and I would nominate misrelease to replace it. I have on occasion actually grip locked a disc. It never left my hand and I was easily in full power swing but my plant foot slipped so I just held on.

I motion to strike grip lock from the nomenclature and I would nominate misrelease to replace it. I have on occasion actually grip locked a disc. It never left my hand and I was easily in full power swing but my plant foot slipped so I just held on.

I had one practice swing behind a tee when I threw a disc to my 5:00.

People use grip lock intuitively because that's what they're feeling. It can be a great talking point if you're actually coaching someone.

There are so many creators giving tips and making content now that you can't argue away the bad stuff; no use getting angry about it. It's easy to call out what you think is wrong about other people's content, I used to (and still sometimes do) fall into that trap. It's better to find or create what you think is good content and share that. Critique throws not YouTube content.

I had one practice swing behind a tee when I threw a disc to my 5:00.

I've done that more times than I care to remember. My friends started calling me Wild Bill because of my mis-throws.

Then I figured out my issues and there were two of them.

1st. Plant foot....if it was too open (pointing at the target) my disc went right (RHBH).
2nd. This was the bigger issue as it was part mental. I have an issue with changing my grip during the throw. The same thing happened as a ball golfer - I would open my grip during my backswing, regrip the club, then during the forward swing, I would loosen my grip again and regrip the club. All of that meant the club slid back and forth in my hand. The same thing happens during my disc throw....during my pull through, I loosen my grip and then regrip. I think it causes a mental issue with my brain thinking the regrip is the start of my throw and I follow through as though I just started my pull through....when it happens watch out behind me or to the right of me.

I've practiced to maintain an even grip all the way through the throw and it has been working.

I feel like we argue so much over semantics. The same motions can feel like different things to different people. We need to stop critiquing people's use of language and try to understand what they're trying to say and relating it to how we feel. It's honestly frustrating and has led to a lot of unwarranted critique of certain YouTube videos at times. As far as I know, there is no right or wrong way to throw a disc. There are more efficient ways to throw a disc and maybe that's what most people are disagreeing about. Sometimes it feels like content creators make it sound like they're talking about two different things when really they're trying to say the same thing.

I vote for shanky-doodle when trying to go about using the correct language.
Example. You place your foot wrong, and the disc rockets off about 30º to the right of the basket, and gets stopped cold by the fifth shrubbery. Leaving you in hell, and only advancing about 70' forward.
Something like. "Oh crap. I just shanky-doodled it."

I vote for shanky-doodle when trying to go about using the correct language.
Example. You place your foot wrong, and the disc rockets off about 30º to the right of the basket, and gets stopped cold by the fifth shrubbery. Leaving you in hell, and only advancing about 70' forward.
Something like. "Oh crap. I just shanky-doodled it."

Grippy No Slippy Backwards Rippy.
GNSBR