• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Finding Dog

thebeast175

So I have a dog that finds discs. He can distinguish between the different plastics and he finds discs that no one would never find. He has become highly efficient at finding lost discs. He has found about 50 this year alone. Some guys have said I need to charge for his services but I disagree. However, I am at a crossroad because I have 25 discs that I need to get rid of. I contact everyone who has their info on their disc (about 10%). The rest are never claimed. So, is it ok to sell these? Let me know your thoughts.

sure, you called the ones with info, the rest are blank. Go ahead, you can not hold onto them for ever.

If you made reasonable effort and waited for a bit named ones are yours. No name = yours when you pick it up if no-one else on course. Polite to ask around but smart to mark!

Played with a guy in Sedro Woolley whose dog found discs, found 2 of mine I would have lost otherwise. Was very cool as it can be a jungly course in roughs.

sell those discs and buy some nice stuff .... for your dog.

designer of my local course has a well-trained dog that has recovered thousands of discs over the years ... he is in semi-retirement now but used to travel for tournaments. I'm pretty sure he's in the Vibram Open DVD from last year.

sell those discs and buy some nice stuff .... for your dog.

designer of my local course has a well-trained dog that has recovered thousands of discs over the years ... he is in semi-retirement now but used to travel for tournaments. I'm pretty sure he's in the Vibram Open DVD from last year.

I had my picture taken with Bear :) the only dog who gets to chew on CE plastic as a toy.

My Lab retriever does the same. He was circling around a clump of trees in the rough the other day. I walk over and find a Groove stuck about 15 feet up. I called the owner, no answer, so it is his now.

I'd be curious to know how to train them. Currently, my dog is terrified of discs.

Well maybe not terrified, but he doesn't want any business with them. :)

I'd be curious to know how to train them. Currently, my dog is terrified of discs.

A couple hits to the snout will do that to them. (kidding i'm sure that is not how it happened)

2 Calls + At least 1 message + Several Days = Your disc.

1 call + 1 message +24hrs + the amount of time it takes me to get rid of it = mine and gone. i dont throw found plastic. its cursed to be lost.

And i agree with GLong about giving back to your dog.

thats awesome he can tell different plastic. this is exactly why my next dog will be a hunting dog. aussies are awesome at catching the disc and tricks but not so great for finding them....

alot of it is breed into them. finding a good breeder is key. and training is easy. you make it a game early on in puppyhood. a very simple game, but generate the interest to do it by giving a reward, a reward is not a treat its your praise for a job well done, i.e. "good job" <pat on head>. but if you dont have a dog with a well bred or random chance nose and a paasion for finding things your not gonna get all that far. Basically you need a good hunting dog, pointers and well rounded retrievers (labs, goldens, std poodles).

on the terrified, alot of dogs do not do well with discs. try rolling them at him slow and see if that works. if he doesnt go for a slow roller he probably isnt interest. but try a few times. and use a lid, i suggest the skyhoundz jawz discs

Last edited:
I agree with you to a certain extent smyith, but I find that you don't need a pure bred to get the job done. I have a 3/4 German Shepard and 1/4 pit bull and she finds discs like nobody's business. She won't find other people's discs just mine and she will wait till everyone is done throwing then will go and sit next to the disc. The only training I did was to give her praise when she started doing this and I had to train her to wait till everyone was finished throwing. To the point of your dog being afraid of discs, man that's a tough one. I do not know how to break that besides over exposing the dog to discs, but that might have adverse consequences.

My dog is a pit/lab mix. I did train him specifically for this task. It would be best to have a scent trained dog breed i.e. pits and labs. They also have to be smart (this is where I leave the lab part out :). He has a command to start looking and he has been trained to be gentle and to drop the disc at any point of the retrieval. It is very important to train the dog on the different scents of the different plastics. If I loose an innova star plastic disc then I can send him in with the expectation of finding that plastic. S far as your dog being scared, you need to train him to be confident in you as the alpha and then train him on the discs. I am more than happy to share training tips for anyone wanting to train their dog.

Latest posts