• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc Flights

kiwichiwi

Par Member
What does everyone think about a YouTube channel that covers the flight of discs? My idea would be me showing the disc and flight. hopefully after getting through a good chunk of the discs on the market it could become a library for anyone looking up how it flies. Maybe it has already been done but I have never seen it.

How far do you throw? Is your form clean? Do you impart a lot of spin on your throws causing discs to flip when they wouldn't for others? Are you planning to film throwing different distances of the same disc? Will it just be you throwing? Will you be throwing just BH? Just FH? Will you be throwing all max weight? A range of weights? Are you going to take note of wind speeds? Will you throw against/with/in cross winds?

I really your idea, even with the inconsistencies across the spectrum of manufacturers. It would help quite a bit to have that kind of info handy, especially in video form. Inbounds is a great idea, but it's pretty limited in its execution. If you can provide a higher level of detail in the video than the visual options we have today, I think you will have a big hit on your hands.

How far do you throw? Is your form clean? Do you impart a lot of spin on your throws causing discs to flip when they wouldn't for others? Are you planning to film throwing different distances of the same disc? Will it just be you throwing? Will you be throwing just BH? Just FH? Will you be throwing all max weight? A range of weights? Are you going to take note of wind speeds? Will you throw against/with/in cross winds?

I really your idea, even with the inconsistencies across the spectrum of manufacturers. It would help quite a bit to have that kind of info handy, especially in video form. Inbounds is a great idea, but it's pretty limited in its execution. If you can provide a higher level of detail in the video than the visual options we have today, I think you will have a big hit on your hands.

That is a lot of good questions to bring to light if I am going to do this. I think my form is ideal. I also think that as long as I am being consistent with my throws then people should be able to tell how it would fly for them. At least I would think so. I think adding in a few shots of every disc with different variables would be very helpful as well. So maybe a shot on a calm day and a windy day showing how it reacts to a head wind or tail wind. You have definitely given me some questions I need to answer before I start this.

That is a lot of good questions to bring to light if I am going to do this. I think my form is ideal. I also think that as long as I am being consistent with my throws then people should be able to tell how it would fly for them. At least I would think so. I think adding in a few shots of every disc with different variables would be very helpful as well. So maybe a shot on a calm day and a windy day showing how it reacts to a head wind or tail wind. You have definitely given me some questions I need to answer before I start this.

I asked about your distance because discs behave very differently at 300' than they do 500'. It's one of those things that you kind of need to show both to truly be informative. In all fairness, a video filmed to show the video form of MVP's flight charts. They give all throwers a chance to see how a disc should fly for their arm speed (I'm somewhere between the third and fourth lines based on weights, and my arm).

If you can't tell I'm pretty excited about the potential of something like this. I hope that you see this through.

I asked about your distance because discs behave very differently at 300' than they do 500'. It's one of those things that you kind of need to show both to truly be informative. In all fairness, a video filmed to show the video form of MVP's flight charts. They give all throwers a chance to see how a disc should fly for their arm speed (I'm somewhere between the third and fourth lines based on weights, and my arm).

If you can't tell I'm pretty excited about the potential of something like this. I hope that you see this through.

I get the distance part about how they fly but as long as you are stating the distance then people should be able to relate the disc to their power....I think. I throw close to 500' so I can maybe see it being harder to relate for someone throwing way less but they should expect the disc to fly more stable than how I would throw it. I could maybe see someone who doesn't throw as far as well on the video.

Last edited:
As a general rule: More spin, Less flip. Gryoscopic stabilization.

OK, turn then. I've seen two different styles of throwers ripping discs 500'. One's form had discs flying traditional straight to fade lines off flat releases. My friend was flexing everything (clean releases) with hyzer releases from lower down his body. An example of what I mean would be Catrina (my friend) vs Paige (the flat releaser).

OK, turn then. I've seen two different styles of throwers ripping discs 500'. One's form had discs flying traditional straight to fade lines off flat releases. My friend was flexing everything (clean releases) with hyzer releases from lower down his body. An example of what I mean would be Catrina (my friend) vs Paige (the flat releaser).

The difference in those players are usually disc selection though. Catrina most likely throws less stable discs that will get the flip up and extend the distance. Whereas Paige throws more stable discs but with a lot more power and gets the same distance.

That is a lot of good questions to bring to light if I am going to do this. I think my form is ideal. I also think that as long as I am being consistent with my throws then people should be able to tell how it would fly for them. At least I would think so. ...

No offense, but if your form is ideal I'd rather see videos on that. :clap:

No offense, but if your form is ideal I'd rather see videos on that. :clap:

It would be just me throwing. I am not good at articulating how to do it lol. I would just suggest you look to Schusterick for learning a great driving form.

I like the concept of what you're suggesting. Give it a shot!

P.S. You might try contacting some companies. Infinite Discs used to help out some guys with videos, but they petered out. HomeSlice Disc Golf (not a company, just some guys throwing discs) was making disc videos, as well, but seem to have stopped. Anyhoo, check around...

I think I am going to do it. The hardest part will be filming for me. I haven't had a lot of experience so this will be a trial and error thing.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCn2gSo9EvckdwWX55TKN4kg/videos

I like this guy's videos. He generally catches the full flight on camera, lets the viewer know how far the discs ended up flying, makes note of any wind, and has consistent form for a decent comparison. I've wished he had more videos to see more disc flights, so I'd definitely be interested if you could put together something similar.

I think I am going to do it. The hardest part will be filming for me. I haven't had a lot of experience so this will be a trial and error thing.

If there are any colleges in your area they may offer degrees in cinematography. If so, you could approach them and see if any students would like to use your idea for a project?

Latest posts