• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] How to clean (de-stink) discs

foxdawg10

Double Eagle Member
Does anyone have any ideas how to de-stink a disc after sitting in a creek for over a month?

I currently have it sitting in my sink soaking in baking soda and dish soap. I really like this disc, but would really hate to lose it to this nasty smell from hell.

It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where the car smells from the valet's BO and they could do nothing to rid themselves of that abomination.

Please and thank you for any advice.

Go to Walmart and get a bottle of their cheapest cocoa butter lotion. $3.77 or something. Cover both sides of the disc in heavy lotion, and let it soak overnight, ideally in a covered container/gallon ziplock, in the sun or warm place. Lotion dyed discs smell like lotion for two seasons and counting.

Last edited:
I've had success getting rid of nasty swamp smell with bleach.

Probably not the cheapest or most effective solution, but if you have a friend with an ionizer they do a great job. I bought something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Air-C...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

So far it's removed:
  • My nasty sweat funk from my goalie equipment
  • The overwhelming stench of dog and the crazy amount of Febreze used to cover it up when we bought our new house
  • The smell of a dead/decomposing mouse from my wife's car (living in the country is FUN!)
  • And most relevantly, stank on a couple discs I found in a pond under rotting leaves

I can't see buying one of these for just one disc, but once you have one you find all sorts of uses. Fair warning, do NOT run this in an enclosed space attached to your living area without clearing out all people, animals etc... Also, let the space it was run in air out well after using. Every time I run it in my garage I find dead bugs all over the place.

When I treated the discs I did it by placing them on wire baking racks to give 360 degree access and ran the ozone machine in my detached garage.

Again, probably overkill but it 100% will remove stank instead of just covering it up.

p.s. Try sunlight first. It's a similar process, just takes longer.

I found a roc one time with some sort of liquid on it that smelled pretty bad. My friend said it was coyote pee. I let it sit with worcestershire sauce in it overnight, and from then on it smelled like worcestershire sauce.

I found a roc one time with some sort of liquid on it that smelled pretty bad. My friend said it was coyote pee. I let it sit with worcestershire sauce in it overnight, and from then on it smelled like worcestershire sauce.

So fish over coyote pee.

Just an update. Wiping the disc down with Lysol All Purpose Cleaner, and letting it sit in the sun a few hours took away the stink.

All good now. Thank all for your feedback.

Leaving nasty discs outside actually does get rid of the odor. Problem is, the disc's color will fade fairly quickly.

This is exactly what I did to get rid of the smoke smell from a decent Grip B series bag I got at a PIAS for $50. It took a few days but it cleared it right up, and has never smelled like it since.

So fish over coyote pee.

Worcestershire sauce is a fermented condiment made from a base of vinegar and flavored with anchovies, molasses, tamarind, onion, garlic, and other seasonings. Perhaps there are some variations that I am not aware of?

Does anyone have any ideas how to de-stink a disc after sitting in a creek for over a month?

I currently have it sitting in my sink soaking in baking soda and dish soap. I really like this disc, but would really hate to lose it to this nasty smell from hell.

It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where the car smells from the valet's BO and they could do nothing to rid themselves of that abomination.

Please and thank you for any advice.

Put it back where it came from or give the problem to someone else. :sick::gross::sick:

Worcestershire sauce is a fermented condiment made from a base of vinegar and flavored with anchovies, molasses, tamarind, onion, garlic, and other seasonings. Perhaps there are some variations that I am not aware of?

Put it back where it came from or give the problem to someone else. :sick::gross::sick:
You don't know what anchovies are?

Anchovies are small, common saltwater forage fish in the family Engraulidae that are used as human food and fish bait.

Latest posts