• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I'll start by welcoming you back here Jeff. I've spoken with you on facebook before and expressed my high opinion of you and your work there. We spoke briefly and I don't think there is/was any issues.

Thank you! Some of what I read was disturbing. My friends told me about it. I finally saw for myself tonight. I don't anger easily but... really?

I can't speak as to how you're interpreting all of what was said. I went back and read it again today, wanted to see if in our enthusiastic "chasing" of recreating your artwork that I had somehow come off the wrong way. I don't think I did at all. I (and others) throughout our "experiments" gave you full credit and much accolades. There was no disrespect or ill will intended in the least.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think he read bamm's comment as "Jeff should sell all his dye when he gets out", but I think what Jerry was saying was "If Jeff got out and got back into the dye game, that HE (bamm) would sell off all his dye and stop trying to copy your method."

If I'm way off base, I apologize.

That is exactly what I meant and what I did. Once the "man" was back in town, there isn't a reason for me to chase this anymore. If I want one done I'll just send it to the guy who does it better than anyone else.

Bender... It wasn't Bam's post... it was the general theme of the many other comments and posts and how it was almost like I had died.

I do apologize for my posts if that is how you feel Jeff. I think I speak for most everybody when I say no one was going after this in a malicious way. It was simply a very big challenge to us and we treated it as such. I don't see anything here that should have made you angry or disturbed. Guys dye discs. I doubt the first guy to do a spin dye is too upset right now that everybody and their brother is doing it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, am I right? Best of luck, take care my friend........................jerry

No apologies needed from you Jerry. My post about your comment was written after I had my fill of what I had read in the first 16 pages or so of one of the threads. One of the things that bothered me were the comments about me being so secretive and the almost insatiable desire of everyone to figure it all out and post videos of how to do it, etc... The specific thread was started a few days after my arrest. It was an attitude of "Well, he's gone so lets pick apart what he created". When I read "He was an amazing artist" that was the last straw. I didn't die. I was in prison. I ask you to place yourself in my shoes and to consider the time and money I spent perfecting my craft- all on my own without the help of forums like this- and see how it would make you feel. Flattered? Hardly. Certainly respect was shown by many- yourself included- but the overall theme seemed to be let's hack his styles and make it known publicly because he wouldn't share what he learned on his own. It is what it is...

When this thread was created, disc dyeing was a community thing. There was an open exchange of ideas from damn near everybody. It wasn't until after this thread was started that people started getting secretive and protective of their processes.

When you went away it gave everyone the chance to openly collaborate to try to figure out what you did. That's what this thread is. From what I understand (and read on here), you had been talking with some of the more respected dyers in the community anyway (Dan Howard being one or he was lying to sell his efforts at duplicating your work) so I don't know why you think anyone's hacking away at your work. It was more like you were challenging people to get it (and no one has yet) more than trying to protect your art. What a difference a few years makes, eh?

As you can see, plenty of "props" given. In reading all 20 pages back, I asked myself if I were reading this in jeffs shoes what would I think? I think I would be pretty impressed with the way a lot of dyers came together and collaborated. I would be pretty flattered as well. I would be proud of my accomplishments and that they were awesome enough to try to imitate. Jeff my friend, I hate that you're mad or whatever but there was no disrespect or ill intent here. Guys were doing what all dyers should be doing, sharing processes and techniques and getting more people interested and in the game. Wish you the best.
There is certainly a trial and error learning curve associated with this process, Jeff was an artist, with a well refined set of techniques, to say the least

Yeah no one can match what Mr. Ash did. Not even me. Close but no cigar.

Not only did Mr Ash have yeeeears of experience, but im imagining the sheer amount of discs he practiced on is far more than most people even OWN or have owned. (with of course the exception of some on here)

I am doing myself a favor and not trying at all, as I dont think anyone will get as good as results as Jeff did. I think the effort is nice, and the work done so far looks good, just notquite the "brainwave" we all know. (for the record youre all doing faaar better than i could)

This.

I'm just going to keep having fun with it.... I doubt that any of mine will ever amount to the awesomeness of Jeff's. I love just how some of his colors came out.... specially his yellow on greens.

Well guys, I have one last disc to try. I am out of ideas as well. I thought I was very close but each time it just wasn't quite it. I had a great appreciation for Jeff and his art before, that appreciation has grown by leaps and bounds. Would love to meet him and shake his hand. The trial and error he must have gone through must have been crazy.

I think it's more about the chase at this point than the end product. =-)

I just can't wait to see all of the new creations and art that jumps from here.

Sounds like Bammm went through this endeavor for the same reason that I did; its all about the chase, the problem solving and the discovery!

You guys are great, well done! Who knows where this will be in another few months, its already way past my methods.

Yep, I love a good challenge. Kudo's to everyone that put dye to plastic on this, hope we see some more great things come out of it..........

Would just like to say... the more that I look at Jeff's discs on facebook, the more impressed that I am. Amazing stuff.

Same here! :thmbup::thmbup:

Even some from THE master Jeff Ash have had similar fading on ion plastic. One just sold on an auction group on FB that looked much lighter from when it first came out

Holy balls... necrobump.

Just now seeing this. I have actually sworn off doing/selling any resemblance of brainwaves. The man, Jeff Ash is back at it. How can you compete with that?