• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Odor removal from my backpack

Mr. Butlertron

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, I'm trying to remove the stank from a bag that I've been using for the last few seasons. Basically, the back pads and especially the shoulder straps smell like my hockey gear, even after a fairly detailed sponge bath with warm water and some liquid Tide. I've come across a couple interesting remedies on some backpacking forums, but I'm not sure how well they work. Can anyone validate 1 or more of the following remedies:

1) Spraying with vinegar
2) Spraying with pet odor eliminator
3) Spraying with carpet cleaner
3) Spraying with vodka....not joking
4) Spraying with Lysol
5) Filling with fresh clean cat litter and letting sit for a day or two
6) Soaking in a tub of water and baking soda

I'm looking for a solution that is least likely to ruin my bag in the process of de-stanktifying it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a backpack style bag or a older style bag that uses quad hookups?

Personally, I just remove everything from my GB Silverback, and throw the whole thing through a wash cycle with detergent and let it air dry. I've done that twice now and each time bag came through fresh as daisies no worse for wear.

Hope that helps....cannot verify any of the above remedies, sorry. :)

I've use option (2, the per deodorizer) before on other things that stank and it worked well. A good washing after and all was good.

Vodka works surprisingly well to remove ordors. Throw bag in dryer on low with some towels after sprayed. Same with any fabric freshener you just want antibacterial.

I know anytime I drink a bunch of vodka I can't really smell anything either. :p

If it's clean (really clean), Febreeze and fabric softener sheets. I bought a used Grip from a smoker and after a couple of good sessions getting hit with Febreeze and stuffing the softener sheets in every compartment, it was void of any odor.

If you don't mind getting it a little dusty, sprinkle baking soda on it. Obviously dust it off later. I do this with my shoes and then stuff newspaper in them. It does not take much.

you can actually soak a whole grip bag in water/shower/hose.

remove the plastic support panels before hand. from there you apply liquid detergent and really get in sudsy (straps padded parts... everything). rinse thoroughly (its very important to rinse completely.. I just let it rinse under the shower until it was completely soaked and rinsed).

then let hang dry (not under the sun but in dry room with maybe a bucket/towel under to catch the drips). I avoided drying under the sun to avoid shrinkage/sun damage.

my grip C14 and A14 were cleaned throughly this way and looked pretty much brand new afterwards. Smelled like fresh laundry. I was surprised at how quickly the bags dried too (I just let the bags drip dry hanging off my bike rack in the garage) in less than half a day.

also if you throughoughly clean out your bag/garment with detergent and after drying it still stinks then it may actually have mold set it, which if so mold set in stink is pretty much near impossible to get rid off (think of old stinky shoes that you try to wash in machine but still stink afterwards).

Maximum Strength FEBREZE works Really well. Especially if you get in the habit of doing a quick spray down after each day of play is done. I keep a bottle of Febreze in my SUV now. and just do aspray down after I get back to the car after each round.

I wonder if vodka is necessary or just alcohol? A bottle of IPA (isopropyl, that is, not India Pale Ale) is certainly a lot easier on the wallet and conscience. I'd just dilute it down to be closer to 80 proof.

I wonder if vodka is necessary or just alcohol? A bottle of IPA (isopropyl, that is, not India Pale Ale) is certainly a lot easier on the wallet and conscience. I'd just dilute it down to be closer to 80 proof.

Conscience? I didn't even think about that!!!! ALL THESE JERKS ABUSING ALCOHOL BY SPRAYING IT ON FABRICS??? :sick:

From what I understand, it's an enzyme thing that makes the straps stink. Break up the enzymes, kill the smell. I'll try the vodka thing first and report back.

Don't fart on your bag, or set it down in dog crap in the first place...:p

Conscience? I didn't even think about that!!!! ALL THESE JERKS ABUSING ALCOHOL BY SPRAYING IT ON FABRICS??? :sick:
Febreeze is probably cheaper than even bottom shelf vodka.

... Clean crud off and get bag dry.

For odor:

Put bag in big plastic box not completely air tight. In sun is good. Add a pie pan filled with 1/2 inch of ammonia. Leave 2 days outside. Remove bag. Leave 2 days outside dry. Will kill most odor

last resort is wash with BORAX.

I have tried washing my dry fit shirts in borax and baking soda (but not together) on several occasions, and just found baking soda to be better for odors. I think borax is probably better for getting out stains though.