• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

As opposed to an insincere or disingenuous risk? :confused:

I'm not even sure what that line's supposed to mean. I've played my fair share of courses, and more rounds than I can count. Never saw anything getting strangled. :|

If he meant the additional traffic volume from disc golf could "strangle" the park, then he just should have said it.

As it reads, it comes across as disc golf leads to strangulation. Whether the player is the stranglee, or the strangler, isn't exactly clear. :\

Choking yes.....strangulation no. :D

As opposed to an insincere or disingenuous risk? :confused:

I'm not even sure what that line's supposed to mean. I've played my fair share of courses, and more rounds than I can count. Never saw anything getting strangled. :|

If he meant the additional traffic volume from disc golf could "strangle" the park, then he just should have said it.

As it reads, it comes across as disc golf leads to strangulation. Whether the player is the stranglee, or the strangler, isn't exactly clear. :\
There is more discussion on FB... one of the dger's that was there in the town meeting, said the opponent was referring to the baskets as a strangling hazard to little kids. Then the dger said he had a basket in his back yard with 2 little kids running around and the crowd in the meeting gasped.

I'm a certified playground safety inspector (CPSI) and I flat out asked the guy that wrote that course (with the input of the consumer product safety commission and ASTM), if baskets were an entanglement or entrapment hazard. He said at a normal install height, no. Raised baskets could be concerning because then a child could be suspended above the ground. But at regulation height, we were fine.

There is more discussion on FB... one of the dger's that was there in the town meeting, said the opponent was referring to the baskets as a strangling hazard to little kids. Then the dger said he had a basket in his back yard with 2 little kids running around and the crowd in the meeting gasped.

Uh-huh. :|

This is clearly a case misinformed conjecture.

I'm trying to fathom how a young child would have to contort their body in order to strangle themselves in the chains.

I can honestly say loose fishing line I've seen strewn about the banks of lakes and ponds presents a greater strangulation hazard to kids.

Not to mention, if a child hasn't sufficiently developed to the point where they might stick their head through the chains, where is their parent or whomever brought them there? Because that's a child that shouldn't be left unattended in public.

#of baskets installed on public courses = how many thousands? Over how many decades?

#of humans strangled by baskets = ?
Gotta be less than 1 worldwide.

Last edited:
Uh-huh. :|

This is clearly a case misinformed conjecture.

I'm trying to fathom how a young child would have to contort their body in order to strangle themselves in the chains.

I can honestly say loose fishing line I've seen strewn about the banks of lakes and ponds presents a greater strangulation hazard to kids.

Not to mention, if a child hasn't sufficiently developed to the point where they might stick their head through the chains, where is their parent or whomever brought them there? Because that's a child that shouldn't be left unattended in public.

#of baskets installed on public courses = how many thousands? Over how many decades?

#of humans strangled by baskets = ?
Gotta be less than 1 worldwide.

Drain the ponds! They are a drowning hazard!

What if oldman is the one behind this and this is how he planned to force the implementation of smaller baskets? :p

That is a very well-written article, and the situation is a darn shame. Obviously the firing range risks were present before volunteers devoted "hundreds upon hundreds of man hours" to developing the course. That is just bad decision-making by the parks department.

For what it is worth, there are other disc golf courses with shooting in reasonably close proximity. At certain times of year Patapsco Valley sounds like a war zone.

Environmental compliance nerd note: putting a landfill in a floodplain is a lousy idea, so Harrisonburg made the right choice there.

That is a very well-written article, and the situation is a darn shame. Obviously the firing range risks were present before volunteers devoted "hundreds upon hundreds of man hours" to developing the course. That is just bad decision-making by the parks department.

For what it is worth, there are other disc golf courses with shooting in reasonably close proximity. At certain times of year Patapsco Valley sounds like a war zone.

Environmental compliance nerd note: putting a landfill in a floodplain is a lousy idea, so Harrisonburg made the right choice there.

Absolutely, I have played several. In fact, disc golf courses in those areas is a great idea.

A few years ago, a subdivision was put up really close to me. Within a few weeks of the first houses getting finished and people moving in, 3 of the new houses were hit by stray bullets. I think that number jumped to like 7 before they figured out that it was from a range that was like a mile away and at a significantly higher elevation.

So which has a tougher time getting approval:
Shooting ranges or DG courses?

asked as a rhetorical question.

A cop shooting range to boot.

I mean, shooting ranges should have CRAZY stringent safety regulation. The safety solution can NEVER be to keep miles of safe zones around the range. You should be able to put anything next to a shooting range. I am also assuming the safety regulations and compliance would be even greater, in a law enforcement environment.

Squamanagonic DGC
Course is closed to disc golf and is used for a police shooting range on Fridays and the month of November.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6491

Exactly hat I thought of when reading this part of the thread. Played there a couple times. I forget exactly what happened but a couple guys showed up to use the range one time when I was there. I'm thinking that I called someone and got permission to play before they started shooting. It worked out well and it definitely seemed like a well coordinated effort to keep both options available.

It was a pretty cool course, too, with some excellent rock formations and some quality holes.

If you play Buckhorn DGC in New Hill, NC at the right time you can hear the Shearon Harris nuclear plant security forces training at their range. Lots of automatic fire on those days.

*stray bullet makes it to the course*

You perforated my flight plate, you #$&*¥€¢£%π√|¶∆©®!!!!!!

*shakes fist in idle treat*

Last edited:

Latest posts