• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf in the Philippines

Tributus53

Hello! My name is Terry Bersola and am founder of DISCiples for Christ Ministry here in the Davao City region Philippines. DISCiples began in 2014 to as a Christian youth ministry/mentoring through disc golf. You could say I've become an unintentional missionary when I came to the Philippines in January 2014 with 10 discs and built a DIY basket from a 55 gal plastic barrel, 3" drain pipe, and plastic chains. The moment I set it up on my neighbor's farm and started putting, a group of children observed me and soon were laughing and eagerly putting along with me. That day changed my life and set in motion what has become many week day afternoons playing disc golf and monthly dg tournaments and the start of DISCiples. That first day we had 6 boys and 1 girl. Imagine 7 players and 10 discs.Today, we have around 30 mostly young guys with a handful of girls. I'm a retiree living on a small pension and we have relied on donations of baskets and discs over the years, and currently in critical need of used, unreclaimed, or new discs to keep us going and growing. The sport is in its infancy at this point, but with a new 18 hole course for the University Philippines, Metro Manila ; a course at Camp N in Laguna competitions and events will be springing up on Luzon. Here on Mindanao we do not have our own course, but have used the grounds of Mt Apo Gardens Memorial to play rounds and put on monthly tournaments. Have had meetings with the Vice Chancellor, Kinetics (PE) Dept Head, and an associate architect at UP Mindanao to present disc golf to them the possibilities of constructing a course on their campus, but that hasn't, yet materialized. Pray, hope, encourage us that a permanent course will be placed here in Davao. And, if someone could help us with discs it will be greatly appreciated with smiles by those we serve. Perhaps, a fundraiser to purchase discs and shipping costs on Facebook or GoFundMe. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Terry! Welcome to DGCR :)

Jp Demontaño told me about your set up when I visited a couple of years ago and played a round with him and some friends. I see from his Facebook site 'Disc Golf Philippines" that a lot of progress has been made on the course at the UofP. In addition to some discs, I gave Jp a few back issues of the PDGA magazine so he can reach out to their International coordinator (I think it's still Brian Hoerniger). I'm sure he'd be happy to share that info :)

For those looking for more info, check them out on Facebook. Disc golf in Thailand has taken off in recent years, and I know the same can happen in the Philippines. Dozens of people stopped by and were interested when we played just one round, and many of the people I was there to work with at least pretended to be interested too.

Here's a pic from a recent event -
53248391_2143135032432023_3216020053241626624_o.jpg