• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Disc Golf Not as Green as it seems"

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear about the constant opposition to everything you've worked on recently, but it's not entirely surprising given the closed-mindedness of so many people in the SF Bay Area.

Having grown up in San Francisco, it was a breath of fresh air when I finally moved out a little ways so I could avoid folks like Ken who are hell bent on their view of the world being the right one for everyone else.

When you have a park like McLaren that is that large, with such a large population already enjoying it in so many ways, thinking that adding a DG course to a portion of it is going to ruin it for everyone else is preposterous.

It seems to me that people like Ken don't want to collaborate for a solution, only blindly follow their own agenda at all costs.

BTW, thanks for your help with the Benicia course a few years ago. It's being played by many people, with lots of new families with kids, East Bay disc golfers, many visits from folks around the county, and the parks department has been so happy with comments from neighbors and park enthusiasts, that they are allowing us to expand it to include 9 long tees. :)

Now if only I could find the time and energy and volunteers to get them installed...

Tim S.

Last edited:
This park is 317 acres?? I thought it was about 5 acres. Do you have 12,000 dogs show up at the same time?? Why do they need 60 acres? Come on. It is either turf being torn up by dogs using it or wasted use of space. Which one is it?? Ken is just trying to scare people like you see in the media everyday. A few thinking they are smarter and can make better decisions for us than we can make for ourselves.

kensanfran said:
Again, along with other park groups, we pushed a public campaign to get $12M in park bond money for a whole host of upgrades to the park's infrastructure, the first such funding for the park in well over 20 years. And we are sponsoring a whole host of other exciting public events in the park, which you can read about on our front page.

When I look at your website's front page, I see the content divided about 60-40 into two columns on the screen. The 60% on the left celebrates and welcomes many kinds of activity in the park, from hiking on the park's paved walking trails to gardening to improved park access for "transit and vehicles" on Mansell Street, to breeding pairs of coyotes that your website describes as deadly to dogs and possibly aggressive towards humans at certain times of the year. The 40% on the right side of your front page is dedicated exclusively negative treatment of the one activity that your group considers unwelcome. In contrast to the generally positive and supportive treatment of everyone and everything else, disc golf is described as an "ongoing threat" that literally inspired the creation of your "save the park" group. Do you really think a casual, unbiased web surfer will see your organization as anything other than a group of people determined to "save the community from the threat of disc golf"? Do you think the website's prominently displayed "latest brochure" that pleads with the reader to join the campaign to save the 317 acre multi-use park from the destructive threat of a 30-acre disc golf park seems to do anything other than categorically demonize disc golf with open hostility?

I could be wrong, but I suspect your suggestion that disc golfers should be sent off to live on the ball golf course, where we may not be welcome or even tolerated by the golfers already there, is a lot like Uncle Sam's instinct and ultimate decision to eliminate the hassle of sharing the land with the Cherokees by shipping them off to less valuable land in Oklahoma. I'm not trying to romanticize the plight of the disc golfer as some kind of human tragedy, but I get the feeling your offer of land nobody else is using -- except the golfers already using it -- isn't as innocent asyou'd like us to believe. Again, I could be wrong, in which case the most plausible alternative I can imagine is that y'all are embarrassingly unconscious of the face you're presenting to the world, especially to us disc golfers. The realist in me would also suggest that a group founded to protect the park from disc golf may have you as its most reasonable, respectful, considerate member. I'm doing a lot of speculation here, but when is the last time you looked at your group's public image with an eye for self-criticism? I hope you can see that we disc golfers are doing this within our own community.

Last edited:
Ok, can't help myself. The snobbiness got to me. You do realize you can make his groups life just as miserable as he has yours. One, dog urine and feces has been known to damage plant life. You may need to suggest a 50,000 dollar land and tree survey to check that out to the city commissioners. 2nd an off lease dog park seems like that could be rather worrisome to the city. What if one of those dogs attacks an unsuspecting park user. I mean I am sure their is a ratio of dog attacks to disc golf injuries that someone could pull up. That sounds like another study may need to be done. While we are suggesting surveys. What about the affects of having walkers constantly using the same trail over and over. Atleast disc golfers spread their walking out over the course. That's three land surveys that might need to be suggested even before he can work on that 12 million dollar infrastructure improvement. Which also seems very expensive for a state that is bankrupt. Where a 15 to 20k disc golf course looks like a steal. And if ran right would actually put money back into the city. Unlike the dog walkers, walkers, and cyclist. And why we are on the subject if cyclist. Maybe there should be a survey done to see the damage that mountain biking has on the environment. These things can go on and on. Both of you need to give in. I read your website. It seemed very anti disc golfing. So yea. I am in general taking this side. That being said. There is always things for disc golfers to do, to make sure the park stays in tip top shape. I dot really want the guy to go out and just be a financial speed bump for a park improvement team, but it sure sounds like ken is doing his best to be and trying to rub it in the face of the disc golfers.

Lewis,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. As for the website, well, I can't say as we are trying to appeal to disc golfers with our website -- we believe it is a bad fit for the park's natural areas and are compelled to say why. There are a thousand websites that are boosting DG with very little info as to the realistic impacts of the sport, if you are a disc golfer, go there. We are appealing to people who want to enjoy the park's natural areas while leaving them for others to enjoy in the same way -- from our research at the GGP course, DG does not do this.

That said, it is of course true that ball golf has even worse environmental impact, and I don't have to explain to any of you why. The fact is, I have done some amount of research into the idea, and despite a fair amount of resentment over the way the "rec" portion of Rec/Park has tried to steamroller a DG course into McLaren's natural areas, I do think they deserve space to play in the City, if a place can be found where it would represent an actual improvement in the space's environmental impact. Believe it or not.

Sharing with ball golf is one option, and I have to wonder if golfers, who are already flying plastic around, are bothered by DGers on the course, how much worse is it to mix DGers up with hikers and runners and dog-walkers in natural areas? But consider -- the nine-hole golf course already in McLaren (Gleneagles) is about 60 acres (room for a fabulous 18-hole DG course with lots of room left over). An 18-hole course (of which there are several, all losing money hand over fist) has quite a bit more space. With this much room, and proper design, there should be room for a whole host of new recreational opportunities without anyone getting in anyone else's way.

In fact, I have discussed / promoted several versions of these ideas to:
A Rec/Park commissioner, who was astoundingly open to these ideas and even suggested others.
A City supervisor who has studied the golf course problems and who was a main backer of the Sharp Park golf course conversion to federal park land, who was intrigued.
A founder of the Neighborhood Parks Council (now Parks Alliance), who herself had championed converting golf courses to multi-sport uses.
Representatives from Trust for Public Land, who have provided large grants for golf course conversions in other cities.

I have written out various case studies that might include disc golf, bike trails, miniature golf, putting greens, zip lines, youth adventure courses and climbing walls -- even dog play areas with doggie cafes, agility courses, swimming ponds, and so on, which would relieve some of the pressure from other dog play areas. And a whole lot more.

In fact the City itself has done more than one study about what do do with our money-sinkhole golf courses, including options for conversion to multi-sport uses.

So yes, it will be politically very difficult as the golf lobby is VERY powerful in this town, but at the same time, eventually, the City is going to have to do SOMETHING about this situation. The ball golfer demographic is in undeniable and steady decline according to several of the City's own studies, so why not do something spectacularly only-in-SF that would be yet another tourist draw, as well as a real asset to the City's residents?

I'm just one person, and I'm not speaking for SMP on this topic, but I'm serious as a heart attack -- I'd love to see something like this happen and would get behind it 100%.

Ken

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear about the constant opposition to everything you've worked on recently, but it's not entirely surprising given the closed-mindedness of so many people in the SF Bay Area.

Having grown up in San Francisco, it was a breath of fresh air when I finally moved out a little ways so I could avoid folks like Ken who are hell bent on their view of the world being the right one for everyone else.

When you have a park like McLaren that is that large, with such a large population already enjoying it in so many ways, thinking that adding a DG course to a portion of it is going to ruin it for everyone else is preposterous.

It seems to me that people like Ken don't want to collaborate for a solution, only blindly follow their own agenda at all costs.

BTW, thanks for your help with the Benicia course a few years ago. It's being played by many people, with lots of new families with kids, East Bay disc golfers, many visits from folks around the county, and the parks department has been so happy with comments from neighbors and park enthusiasts, that they are allowing us to expand it to include 9 long tees. :)

Now if only I could find the time and energy and volunteers to get them installed...
Tim glad to hear it brother. Keep on ruining parks for
The future generations! ;)

Peter B. Thanks for installing the Lake Sonoma park course. I played their bag tag event on 2/23 and was really impressed with how the course flowed around the perimeter and had a lot of challenging shots. Very fun and I won tag #19.

Dude for the most part disc golf courses on ball golf courses are boring, we like trees.

Peter B. Thanks for installing the Lake Sonoma park course. I played their bag tag event on 2/23 and was really impressed with how the course flowed around the perimeter and had a lot of challenging shots. Very fun and I won tag #19.

You bet! Glad you had a good time Joe. We did the best we could with the space we were given. Do me a favor and review it. Sorry I couldn't chat for longer yesterday, was in the middle of crushing a 56 on that layout. Watch out, I am going to cash in the weekly!

I nor no one else in SMP have absolutely any interest in you losing GGP, as that will only put MORE pressure to put a course in McLaren Park.

Ken

If you and SMP don't want GGP to close, you have an odd way of showing it. Try to take a step out of your position and view your group and your website and your actions from the perespective of the people who built GGP and the people (taxpayers) who love playing there. You will not see SMP as a group that wants that course to remain there. You and your group have overstepped your original intent and mission, and you seem to be running an organization that is opposed to all disc golf development. When you see backlash against your group and park, or the closure of other courses leading to more efforts to put one in McLaren, you might finally acknowledge the truth in the situation.

And although in another post you have stated that you are not speaking for SMP (on that specific topic) you must realize that in general you are speaking for SMP here and elsewhere. It's your name on the Op-Ed, and you are representing your organization here.

Dude for the most part disc golf courses on ball golf courses are boring, we like trees.

While I agree that most golf courses may be boring there are plenty of golf courses out there with enough trees in between fairways to make the course interesting. Plenty of courses have a lot of water available for use . . . I'd like to see how people feel about a course with 18 holes with water on everyone! There are also courses with lots of unused woodlands and/or prairies that the golfers avoid . . . where disc golf course be added without hardly affecting the golfers.

I am making a push for this right now since I have a little pull with the golf industry having worked in it for 10 years. I have one tournament setup for fall already and they are thinking about a temporary setup for the fall winter and spring when their golf revenues slow drastically.

The disc golf on ball golf course is an absolute wormhole. It probably won't happen during my lifetime. The golf lobby, as Ken alluded to is incredibly strong and has only recently gotten stronger due to threats from an environmental group called the Center for Biological Diversity wanting the city of SF to take out one of its golf courses, which is strangely sited in Pacifica (long story on land ownership and deeds here...). The lawsuit was recently thrown out of court yet the CBD is appealing.

While I appreciate the thought, it is not viable from any practical standpoint. It is yet another giant wormhole and a huge new political effort. From my perspective, it is not worth it. It is much more viable to progress at a park the city has already approved for a disc golf course. A park that, despite the herculean efforts of good people like SMP and the friends group, desperately needs help. These are precisely the areas that we like to go in, clean up all the bottles, trash, hypodermic needles, etc, and keep the squatters, hard core drug addicts and dealers, and other undesirables out. And no, I'm not saying that the entire park is like this...just certain areas.

Will it look the same through time? Of course not. But will it be safer for the average person? You bet it will.

So while its nice that Ken is having discussions with the muckety mucks about using golf course space for discs, in the real world that is far less likely to provide us with a second SF home than McLaren. In the meantime, it would be nice if he and SMP desisted from writing op-eds and trying to shut disc golf out around the region.

I'm very glad you've taken the time to respond to us. I figured I'd give my own environmental science perspective on the matter.

I completely understand your concerns of erosion. I've personally experienced it at a number of well-trodden courses, where by overplaying and demand from parents of inexperienced children, a number of important trees were cut down. In addition to cheapening the recreational value of the course, the resulting downcutting in nearby streams presented an environmental hazard. That's not to say it can't be done; while you criticize the woodchip fairways of Golden Gate, they are actually one of the most environmentally sound options for urban courses. Obviously, disc golf players won't constantly stay on these paths, but not only are they themselves permeable and decomposable when properly maintained, the trampling they remove from the rest of the course area is significant. Steep slopes are also a concern especially where clearcutting and your relatively loose sandy loam is present, but sound course design and the keeping of important structural plants can overcome this.

As for wildlife, I feel you underestimate the possibility for coexistence. Many courses around the world have successfully been built and maintained in environmentally sensitive areas; education and signage is often the key. Disc golfers may be many things, but we are not ones to ignore a clear effort to aid and protect local habitats. The hazard of flying discs is also less significant than you might imagine; your 70 MPH figure only applies to professionals at the point of release. Most recreational players couldn't break an old-timey glass window if they tried, let alone put a dent in a healthy tree branch (most of the branches felled by discs are either unhealthy or dead).

I definitely understand your concerns, and am not sure that McLaren Park needs disc golf (it's not like every park in the world is better off for having it). That said, I feel you could better get your message across by working with the SFDGC and shaping their proposals rather than vehemently condemning their sport. Perhaps, if it hasn't been done before, you could suggest a 9 hole course that bypasses the most sensitive areas. There have been many success stories in urban parks, but most of all they require sound environmental planning and a community dedicated towards keeping the course in good shape. It seems to me that you've done the research and have a large enough voice to help play a role in that.

Hope this helps!

-Stephen

Stephen, thanks for your thoughts. As for disc speeds, yes, 70MPH is the top of the range, but from my research, intermediate to pro players commonly achieve 50-60 MPH on long drives. These have the most potential for safety issues on long holes with hidden pins, which are hard to avoid on an 18-hole course.

In the local controversy, DGers like to use the term "frisbee golf" when speaking with the public, as this gives the idea that it's just a couple of college kids bumming around on a sunny afternoon. Public demonstrations typically involve setting up a basket and putting from a few feet away -- what's so horrible about that? Meanwhile, if I called any of you "frisbee golfers" to your face, you would take offense. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I use terms like "discs flying at highway speeds" because it is a) technically accurate, and give a better sense of the real speed, which DGers don't want to fess up to with the general public, and B) because it is much of the source of environmental damage, at least on the GGP course.

When I have been on the DG course, you can tell pretty much every time someone throws, as you hear a zzzziipp and they slice through leaves, and a crack every time it hits a tree or branch. On many fairways, the understory is mostly gone, there are few to no leaves on the lower branches of trees, and of the bark some smaller trees in the line of fire have pretty much been thrashed. You can check out our before/after pics of several of the fairways on the GGP course, showing these effects after only three years after the course's installation. You can "mitigate" by planting natives or whatever, but those tree leaves are never coming back and how many bird species can you imagine have given up trying to nest and feed in this area?

As for a 9-hole course, this has come up in several public meetings, many neighbors have suggested that this would be an interesting concept to explore. Every time it has come up, DG representatives say it it not a workable answer. The first course in GGP was a 12-hole provisionary course, and after two years of play there was such damage that Rec/Park said enough is enough (more details in the timeline I linked to previously). They found that no one really plays just nine holes, they play it twice and double the damage. This is not from us, this is what SFDGC reps themselves state. The neighbors have offered this alternative, and SFDGC/Rec/Park say it is not a workable solution.

I hear a lot of you claiming that we are overstating the environmental damage, and you are entitled to your opinion, but from our view, local DG reps are understating the damage at GGP (and the potential damage in McLaren) in a massive way.

Ken

If SMP were to offer a 9 hole course at McLaren we'd take it today.

Ken, I play Golden Gate Park course almost wvery week and volunteer my time to help clean it up. At our last clean up day on the 9th, we raked leaves and Eucaliptus bark off the green grass that we seeded, watered, mowed and raked. There is so much grass growing over the last 2 years that it is unbelivable. The rain runoff trails that used to be there are no longer because it is soaking into the ground with the grass holding it and using it to grow and spread. We the club members have put in tremendous time and energy in ESTABLISHING the undergrowth that was never there to begin with! This is a model of what stewardship means to a underutilized and understaffed park that was mostly sandy soil. Delaveaga in Santa Cruz also has a lot of grass growing now with the same traffic. You need to get out to these parks to see the green and efforts to keep it up. We will do the same, and more at McLaren. I hope you will like the actual improvements the course areas will have at McLaren for you and your family to enjoy.

there's two courses in Raleigh that have been here since the early 80's... yet amazingly they both still have a bunch of trees right in the middle of fairways... amazing.

Ken, I play Golden Gate Park course almost wvery week and volunteer my time to help clean it up. At our last clean up day on the 9th, we raked leaves and Eucaliptus bark off the green grass that we seeded, watered, mowed and raked. There is so much grass growing over the last 2 years that it is unbelivable. The rain runoff trails that used to be there are no longer because it is soaking into the ground with the grass holding it and using it to grow and spread. We the club members have put in tremendous time and energy in ESTABLISHING the undergrowth that was never there to begin with! This is a model of what stewardship means to a underutilized and understaffed park that was mostly sandy soil. Delaveaga in Santa Cruz also has a lot of grass growing now with the same traffic. You need to get out to these parks to see the green and efforts to keep it up. We will do the same, and more at McLaren. I hope you will like the actual improvements the course areas will have at McLaren for you and your family to enjoy.

To be fair, McLaren does not have the irrigation infrastructure that GGP has. However that does not mean we can't adorn the course with beautiful native shrubs, grasses, and trees and let them thrive in their drought-tolerant glory (as we have in several spots, like tee 1 at GGP). This was always part of the SFDGC plan.

If SMP were to offer a 9 hole course at McLaren we'd take it today.

We have redesigned the holes a couple times to accommodate their concerns and it's time to have some recognition of that and actual compromises and negotiations of a full course. Oh, but that comes from the Parks and Rec Department doesn't it, not the SMP? Who administers this park?

We have redesigned the holes a couple times to accommodate their concerns and it's time to have some recognition of that and actual compromises and negotiations of a full course. Oh, but that comes from the Parks and Rec Department doesn't it, not the SMP? Who administers this park?

Sure. But it is more constructive to talk directly with the community rather than rely upon an RPD that has dropped the ball several times in this process. If SMP would get behind a proposal for a 9 hole course, then we will make that happen.

I think that a McLaren course would get far less use than GGP.

A park that, despite the herculean efforts of good people like SMP and the friends group, desperately needs help. These are precisely the areas that we like to go in, clean up all the bottles, trash, hypodermic needles, etc, and keep the squatters, hard core drug addicts and dealers, and other undesirables out. And no, I'm not saying that the entire park is like this...just certain areas.

Here we go with the hypodermic needles again. Peter, why are you being so obtuse? You know there are basically no dealers and hypodermic needles and other "undesirables" hanging out in McLaren. This is such a tired old trope that it's getting to be hilarious. First of all, the trash pile shown in your link was cleaned up by volunteers at our last cleanup party and is no longer there. And to my knowledge in that massive cleanup with over 40 volunteers we didn't come across a single hypodermic needle.

Second of all, the page that you linked to is from a local group with a big axe to grind with the City's Natural Areas Program, and would like to LEAVE ALONE all the invasive ivy and other non-native plants that you all like to go on about removing.

For a more balanced view, please see our flickr page for photos around the park.