• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Shoes

sumo21

Eagle Member
For a starving student like myself, I like the fact that disc golf is a relatively inexpensive sport. However, with the advent of more disc manufacturers and disc golf related companies, the other parts of the sport are becoming pricey, unless you're a pro or know the owners of those companies. Bags, disc retrievers and now shoes.

My question: Aren't disc golf shoes just a more expensive hiking shoe?

And more durable...

more durable, more rugged, better grip on loose or damp ground, often waterproof. If grip is the only thing that is of concern, I have a pair of Adidas sneakers... pretty sure they are trail running shoes. They've been excellent DG shoes... I'll try to find the model

That they are, but ill keep buying keens for disc golf shoes since they are supporting us in the sport.

And more durable...

more durable, more rugged, better grip on loose or damp ground, often waterproof. If grip is the only thing that is of concern, I have a pair of Adidas sneakers... pretty sure they are trail running shoes. They've been excellent DG shoes. I think they are the Adidas Thrasher

My question: Aren't disc golf shoes just a more expensive hiking shoe?

There are very few shoes specially made with disc golf in mind. There are plenty of other shoes that serve the same purpose very well. I prefer to use a hiking shoe to get around the rugged New England courses.

Figure out what you want in a shoe (durability, waterproof, grip, price, etc) and then find one that fits. It doesn't have to say "disc golf" in order to work for disc golf.

I guess the point I was trying to make was missed. A hiking shoe differs from a walking shoe because it is designed specifically for the needs of a hiker. Similarly, a disc golf shoe would presumably differ from a hiking shoe because it is specifically designed for the needs of a disc golfer.

In reality, I don't think that is the case......yet. But, I'm not sure the DG shoes are higher priced compared to their hiking counterparts. Keen Nasu are the same price as the Marshalls from which the design was borrowed.

I guess the point I was trying to make was missed. A hiking shoe differs from a walking shoe because it is designed specifically for the needs of a hiker. Similarly, a disc golf shoe would presumably differ from a hiking shoe because it is specifically designed for the needs of a disc golfer.

In reality, I don't think that is the case......yet. But, I'm not sure the DG shoes are higher priced compared to their hiking counterparts. Keen Nasu are the same price as the Marshalls from which the design was borrowed.

Sort of. The marshall WPs come on sale often (I grabbed pairs for 65 & 55), but I've yet to see the nasu on sale for anything close to that.

At the end of the day, some shoes will suck and some will be decent no matter what they were designed for.

Sort of. The marshall WPs come on sale often (I grabbed pairs for 65 & 55), but I've yet to see the nasu on sale for anything close to that.

I'm pretty sure that the Marshall and Nasu is the exact same show except for the graphic/colors on the side right? I bought some of the Marshall WP's...but they make my feet hurt and switched to some solomons. All of the other keens I have had in the past were good though.

I'm pretty sure that the Marshall and Nasu is the exact same show except for the graphic/colors on the side right? I bought some of the Marshall WP's...but they make my feet hurt and switched to some solomons. All of the other keens I have had in the past were good though.

I believe so as well. That's why I have 2 pairs of marshall wps instead of 1 pair of nasu's.

I believe so as well. That's why I have 2 pairs of marshall wps instead of 1 pair of nasu's.

Exactly...Also, I am not a huge fan of the basket graphic on the side..more work wearable without it...

Those aren't for playing DG though....just so you look cool at the players party I guess. :doh:

Disc Golfers =Stoners
Skaters = Stoners
Disc Golfers = Skaters??

Yeah I don't understand those shoes. I guess some people like to play in flats...who knows.

FWIW - I switch between a heavy pair of high tops and a pair of Merrill Moabs depending on the weather. The high tops are grippy enough, so if you want go Payless Shoes try out a cheap pair.

I have 2 pairs of Merrell Moab's...one waterproof and one vented. For me, they are comfy and have decent grip. I used to play in sneakers but found that they didn't hold up very well in wooded areas and really, they weren't that comfy walking over rocks and roots, etc...

If my local courses were open and grass, I'd be all for playing in sneakers.

I play Dela in my Delas. I like that they are light, and low cut, but still have good grip.

Not cheap though.

Latest posts