• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf the Ed Headrick way?

NPCTour

Birdie Member
What is your take on this matter. Steady Ed was featured on a video via PDGA where he explains a "Game" for his friends who were having tough times with drugs and alcohol and introduced them to something free and recreational. It gave them something to do without rules or someone telling them what to do.
In todays time, the "game" has turned into what we call the sport of disc golf. We still have Free courses but are seeing a trend in the (PTP, Pay to Play) courses.
Headrick designed courses for Frisbee's in the Park. Manufacturers are designing disc's that are more advanced than the simple flying Frisbee. These course designs where each hole can now be reached in one throw, are getting a poor rep cause they are too short or too easy.

Do you think courses will make the trend of what is called "championship" since the new disc's are coming out to fly farther than ever? Those holes that require you to earn a 4 or 5 based on good throws would be considered par in that case.

Maybe that is why after 7 years Steady Ed turned the PDGA over to the players, because he saw the trend going from recreation in the park to advanced disc's being made and flying much farther. Where the "game" has been trasitioning into the "sport" based on the level of players........such as Athletes getting interested.
Just for thoughts guys and wanted to see what your opinions are.

turning from game to sport is good. ANd I hope it keeps going that way.

On the other hand nobody is stopping anyone from taking a frisbee and going to the parc. We still play recreational object golf in the forest from time to time. To each their own IMO.

I don't think there's ever going to be a shortage of free beginner level courses in public parks, just because more of the private and "championship" courses are going in doesn't mean those are going anywhere, I still see a ton of those courses getting installed.

What is your take on this matter. Steady Ed was featured on a video via PDGA where he explains a "Game" for his friends who were having tough times with drugs and alcohol and introduced them to something free and recreational. It gave them something to do without rules or someone telling them what to do.
In todays time, the "game" has turned into what we call the sport of disc golf. We still have Free courses but are seeing a trend in the (PTP, Pay to Play) courses.

Some of Ed's earliest course designs were for private pay to play facilities, so I don't think his vision was purely for the game to be "free". Recreational, yes, but not something averse to commercialization. I don't think the "trend" of pay to play courses is antithetical to Ed's vision at all.

There's a place for both. The championship courses for tournaments and people that want a challenge. And the short courses for people learning how to play. Short courses are still great for practice and getting a quick round in. I would wager they probably see more traffic too.

And there are still plenty of people out on the course playing by their own rules for fun

FWIW, I believe Ed was involved in selling some of his first courses promoting a pay-for-play model as a way for the city to afford this new fangled sport. Not sure how many survived as P2P but the few in Minneapolis failed. I think the Madeline Bertrand course in Niles, MI may have gone in that way and continues today. But it's a state park that may have been charging to get in anyway.

FWIW, I believe Ed was involved in selling some of his first courses promoting a pay-for-play model as a way for the city to afford this new fangled sport. Not sure how many survived as P2P but the few in Minneapolis failed. I think the Madeline Bertrand course in Niles, MI may have gone in that way and continues today. But it's a state park that may have been charging to get in anyway.

I know of three he sold/designed in New England, but only one still exists today. The other two were pulled some time in the 80s.

I know of three he sold/designed in New England, but only one still exists today. The other two were pulled some time in the 80s.

What's the one that's still around? I'm a New Englander and would love to check out a Steady Ed course.

What is your take on this matter. Steady Ed was featured on a video via PDGA where he explains a "Game" for his friends who were having tough times with drugs and alcohol and introduced them to something free and recreational.

Oh, the irony.

What's the one that's still around? I'm a New Englander and would love to check out a Steady Ed course.

Beaver Brook Campground in North Monmouth, Maine, one of the original 10 courses in the world. There's been one, maybe two slight tweaks since Ed laid it out in 1975-6. All you should need is a putter and a bottle of water (or whatever beverage you prefer).

Beaver Brook Campground in North Monmouth, Maine, one of the original 10 courses in the world. There's been one, maybe two slight tweaks since Ed laid it out in 1975-6. All you should need is a putter and a bottle of water (or whatever beverage you prefer).

Holy crap! I played this course when I was like 10. My family camped there and we played for fun during camping, they had discs for rent there. Never played again until I was 27 and living in western KY. Now I can say I've played a truly historic course! Too bad I only remember the fact that we played and that the mosquitos were the size of bald eagles. Don't remember any of the holes, but I do remember it was wooded. Cool man.