• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc inconsistencies

I'd say if you counted Trilogy as one entity, that they would match if not surpass Discraft. They also have a lot more offerings than just discs, where Discraft, especially within the last several years has more or less stuck to their bread and butter of discs and a small amount of soft goods. I also see far more Lat/Westside/DD in stores, both sporting goods and not, then Discraft.

But Trilogy drivers are easily as varied in consistency as Innova's. I still say Discraft is the king of consistency.

Discraft probably sells more Ultrastars than Latitude makes for "Trilogy."

IMO no other company controls plastics, dome, PLH etc as well as MVP. By no means are they perfect but strive to be much more so than say a legacy or innova which given how you build a bag it is not a bad thing to have a little difference in a plastic or whatever. Sometimes I wish there WAS a little difference in proton/neutron but seems that's where the plasma plastic has come into play.

Latitude has become the innova of molding. Trilogy molds seem to always have crazy flight numbers at least innova hits that part right and just changes them for different plastics if needed. I also disagree with those people who say small companies as very often you will get a lot more variance early on from a company before things are fine tuned.

MVP for example has only improved upon molds, plastics, machines, facility etc. As the line up has grown the discs are actually more consistent compared to ever before. FR volts :gross: FR shocks :gross: FR ions?! lulzzzzz... talk about understable!

I have had multiple bag set ups from different companies and was very happy with Latitude early on until the havoc and halo came out. The havoc is their groove AND I THREW GROOVES! I think that disc gets way more hate than it deserves compared to say a wraith which you used to find OS as all get out and then ones with turn and hardly any fade :confused: Luckily I found discraft soon after I started playing and noticed it was much less of a issue to replace my lost drivers from a place like PIAS and still get the same thing I had before. If MVP didn't exist I would probably throw DC for that reason.

Prodigy? ha.

My philosophy is buy lots of discs, throw and use accordingly. If two molds overlap that shouldn't, you have a back up.

edit: can you tell I'm an Innova guy?

Last edited:
Discmania. A lot of variation between runs, but they will tell you specifically what disc is from what run right and what it will do compared to another on their site.

And within the same runs, they are very consistent.

I think I have the science chops to speak on this. I'll try not to be long winded. The polymers in discs act just like metal alloys in that they can change density and hardness depending on how fast they go from hot to cold. That is why a swordsmith quenches a blade in water or oil to make the steel cool at different rates. The thin edge cools fast and the spine cools slower. SO the cutting side is hard and can hold an edge but the spine is more flexible so the sword doesnt break. A samurai sword is the extreme example because it only has one edge. Just like a disc. A samurai sword gets its bend because the spine and edge cool at different rates and it makes the blade bend when you quench it.. Thats why Destroyers are inconsistent. Thick spine and thin edge. If they skeet one into the mold and let one cool for one minute before removing it will be one version of Destroyer. If you wait five minutes it will be different because it cooled different.

And to take it further, the colors of the polymer blend react differently to cooling and heating...Which is why some colors fly different. Some will "shrink" certain places or "expand" certain places. Then you add on the inconsistency that manufacturers have in their process (cooling time, cleanliness, etc.) you get even wider variety (hence the different run characteristics).

I would have to say Discraft is the most consistent company out there. I could go buy a Z Buzzz right now and it would not be much different than my 2006er when it was fresh. I challenge you to say the same for any other manufacturer.

And to take it further, the colors of the polymer blend react differently to cooling and heating...Which is why some colors fly different. Some will "shrink" certain places or "expand" certain places. Then you add on the inconsistency that manufacturers have in their process (cooling time, cleanliness, etc.) you get even wider variety (hence the different run characteristics).

Yeah I can see that. A little bit of tin turns copper into bronze and zinc turns bronze into brass. I've never noticed any difference in color. Then again I can't put the same disc on the same spot twice in a row. I think the only way to get a perfect run of discs would be to let them cool completely in the mold but aint nobody got no time for that. Plus that would take the fun out of finding the perfect disc.

I would have to say Discraft is the most consistent company out there. I could go buy a Z Buzzz right now and it would not be much different than my 2006er when it was fresh. I challenge you to say the same for any other manufacturer.

MVP?

The Buzzz mold is uniquely reproducible. I think any maker could run that one dead ass clone wars mode for a decade. Stuff designed to have dome and a longer less chunky wing is what seems to suffer from inconsistency most, in my observation.

I personally have difficulty believing the MVP consistency hype. When I first started getting into disc golf I read a ton of amazing reviews about the consistency and performance of MVP so some of the very first discs I bought were MVP.

I got a Neutron Volt, a Neutron Amp, and two Proton Ions. All but the Amp immediately found a home in my bag because they are legitimately good discs, BUT my Volt was more HSS than advertised (they're supposed to be stable but mine turns less into a strong headwind than my Firebird, and Volts were never advertised as Firebird-level stability) and my two Ions that were both the exact same weight do not fly the same. One is noticeably more stable than the other. Both still made the bag and drove great and I loved putting with the one I putted with but they were definitely not the same stability.

This is not to put down MVP or anything. Despite having two different stabilities I still preferred the Ions to Judges at first, and only switched when I failed miserably at using the Ions on a wet day and decided I'd rather just have one mold that I can throw rain or shine than carry around a wet putter and a dry putter. And now MVP even sells a baseline plastic. If they'd come out with it sooner I'd probably still be bagging Ions, but I've already switched and gotten used to the Judges and I don't want to spend more money and time switching putters again when I'm happy where I am.

People have said that their consistency has improved considerably since the beginning, but 1) it wasn't like I was buying first runs in the first place and 2) the people saying that are mostly the same people who said that were over-hyping their consistency in the first place.

I'd like to believe that MVP is actually more consistent than other manufacturers now, and I do like all of their discs that I have tried. Regardless of whether or not they are more consistent than other manufacturers they make some great molds and I encourage everyone to give them a shot. It's just that in my experience "more consistent" is nothing more than fanboy hype.

resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-brace-yourselves-here-come-the-fanboys-ea3ffb.jpg

In my experience Discraft is slightly more consistent then MVP. I've had 5 Stalkers in different plastics, and only the Ti flies differently, as advertised. 3 Craves, granted, different weights, all fly differently. PLH on the Craves had some variance. 4 Envies OTOH all the same in flight and PLH, regardless of weight. I think the OM process can add consistency to a point, but as seen by Discraft, that's not the only thing that matters.

HERE I COME Y'ALL!!!

haha. I think some vocal fans have overestimated what is an imperfect but less susceptible process, not cooling the full wing at once. I'd reach around the aisle to say that it's never as great as some may think, but it has advantages and allows the molders a better chance to drive themselves bonkers striving for better.

Ironically my Ti Buzzz is different from the one of a friend which has a lot more dome than mine. (mine is really flat) And the Buzz in Ti Plastic seems to be a whole different mold as it feels different from a Z or X-Buzz and flies a lot straighter.

Is there a way to find out which run a disc that I already own is from?

I like that discs are different.... I throw Rocs and Destroyers two of the Most Wild molds out there and well I like that they are different. For me It creates different shot opportunities.

A Wizard told me that fanboys live on the Streets just as much as everyone else.

The Wizard also told me Ions are better