• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Mania PD or Innova Starfire

Schook

Bogey Member
I have a couple of star Starfires in my bag for windy condition play and for harder fade in calm wind. I use these as a compliment to my SL's which is my main distance driver.

I was looking to add a champ Starfire but noticed the Disc Mania c-line PD has the same rating as the Starfire. So my question(s) is how do these discs compare? Is the PD the same as the Starfire or closer in reality to the SL? Would he PD be a compliment or complete overlap with my Starfire or SL's

Keep in mind, I am not looking for other disc suggestions, just a comparison of the PD and Starfire or SL (or let me know what disc the PD compares to if you want). I am not a strong arm so throwing the SL's around 325' to 350' RHBH.

Thanks

Last edited:
I used to throw the Starfire and SL; I now only throw the PD...in all plastics. It is a better disc and will cover everything that the SF and SL can do. Get 3 of them, one in each plastic and commit to them and you'll never look back at the SF or SL.

Last edited:
At your distances I would recommend the TD/PD combo rather than the SL/SF combo. The main difference is that the Starfires are a lot more speed sensitive...This mains if underthrown they can be quite overstable, but if overthrown (or into a headwind) they can straighten out (SF) or flip (SL). PDs/TDs can be thrown at a greater variety of speeds without their flight characteristics changing so much. At your armspeed you should not notice too much distance difference, just better lines and consistency from the TD/PD.

I throw in your range and went from the SF to PD. Discspeed said it perfectly. That is exactly why I switched.

I use the S-PD and P-PD. The S-PD is reserved for headwinds, the P-PD has worm in with similar results to the mythical DX Teebird but longer. I found the C-PD to be very different than the other two, but maybe I just got a Freaky Freak. My C-PD is very domey and the rim seems more slanted (+mold like) than the other to plastics.

Yeah...Innova accidentally ran the CPDs with the PLUS core (slanted rim). Word is that the newer runs they are running are normal PDs. BTW, I quite like the CPD+.

Thanks guys, the above link was both helpful and confusing (TeeBird comparisons?)

@ discspeed - If I am understanding you the PD is more like a slightly more stable SL than the equal of a Starfire. If so I might like it. I have a star SF that is very overstable and one that I would call stable and I like the stable one better.

It is going to take a VERY special disc to make me stop throwing the SL's though.

Thanks guys, the above link was both helpful and confusing (TeeBird comparisons?)

@ discspeed - If I am understanding you the PD is more like a slightly more stable SL than the equal of a Starfire. If so I might like it. I have a star SF that is very overstable and one that I would call stable and I like the stable one better.

It is going to take a VERY special disc to make me stop throwing the SL's though.

PDs are not the most consistent disc out there in terms of stablity. They range from more overstable than a Starfire to more understable than an SL.

Thanks for the input. Picked up a C-line PD over lunch today. Just felt good in my hand. Snowing today so wont get to throw it for a while. :(