• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Performance Over Time

ColonelDracula

Par Member
With every discussion of discs and their performance, there's always the stipulation of how well the disc maintains over time.

Which discs of yours have maintained their near-original stability for the longest?

I've had a Champion Destroyer, for example, that has stayed about the same now for 5-6 years. It's softened, of course, a little bit, but basically it flies the same and feels the same.

I think maintaining original flight patterns is mostly due to plastic, with somewhat to do with mold. For example slower/more blunt rimmed discs typically wear slower, such as premium plastic midranges. Champ plastic tends to last a long time though. Sometimes with super OS discs it can be hard to tell too, I had a champ Firebird for 2 years and swore it mellowed out a bit. Lost it and bought another with a very similar profile...flew the exact same as my old one. I guess I just threw harder over time and learned how to predict the overstability, making it seem like it mellowed out.

What about discs that are well loved because of their beat in characteristics, that gain significant value after some wear? For example the Teebird maintains most of its HSS, but loses a ton of fade. They get straighter and straighter over time and can gain significant distance, while never really becoming a flippy unpredictable disc...at least that I have ever seen in a premium plastic Teebird. Rocs and a variety of mids are loved for how they wear in to fly good turnover lines, but the Teebird really stands out to me as a disc that flies better once worn in for nearly all arm speed players.

^pretty much that. Premium plastic mids and Putters last ages as long as you don't abuse the too badly.

I have a champ Yao, Roc and Bard that have each taken a turn a my main mid and the have all played tons of rounds to no major flight change. They all still look good too for the most part.

There are a few drivers with a very straight bottom wing(the Ape is one) that beat in more slowly than more concave wing shapes.

Destroyers and a few other discs like them you can't really say that about since they have been run so often in so many iterations that you never really know where they stated stability wise.

I've had Star Destyoers that were Pre AJ looked like garbage and still were OS and brand new ones that were flippy junk off the bat.

Latest posts