• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc repair, need ideas

NWcityguy2

Birdie Member
So a couple days ago my Star Eagle took some damage. I've tried the melt/press method twice and both times the cut/crack has popped out again, both times within 3-4 throws. I'm thinking about using Epoxy next, but I figured I might as well check to see if there were any other disc repair techniques for something like this. It's just too big to cut out, and I'd hate to loose my favorite control driver.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 61
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 81
So do I when it isn't to replace my most beloved driver. I've got another white Star Eagle, not quite as beat in, but this one if my favorite.

I hear ya. When its a beloved disc a new one never seems to do the trick. I had a wraith with a cut like that and i finally trimmed it off. Didn't notice a difference.

Here is what I would try:
- pry the cut open a little to get more of the heat going to the surfaces that are to be melted together
- start at the base of the cut, that is, the farthest-in location (farthest-out being at the rim)
- do tiny patches of melting/pressing from in to out until you get to the rim and the whole thing is bonded
- finish off with a little sanding if you want

The bottom line is that you can't do it all at once and you need to do the most difficult part first, the innermost point of the cut, and work your way out. Don't be gentle with the plastic, you should be able to flex it a lot without tearing it further. Only melt it, don't burn it.

i know its a rule and all, but its not like him melting some of the disc is gonna make it a super disc that aces every time.

let it go

go to the longest water hole nearest you, huck it and watch it sail into the sunset...

you will find a replacement that is even better than this disc was... everytime I lose my favorite disc I find a better one (except for the buzz Z I lost, damn I loved that disc)

Trim it with nail clippers it's now just a little more understable.

I hear ya. When its a beloved disc a new one never seems to do the trick. I had a wraith with a cut like that and i finally trimmed it off. Didn't notice a difference.

I had to do the same thing...my gash wasn't quite as deep though. If you decide to cut it and move on...get you a clean/flush cut and you probably won't be able to detect a difference.

go to the longest water hole nearest you, huck it and watch it sail into the sunset...

you will find a replacement that is even better than this disc was... everytime I lose my favorite disc I find a better one

I like that!

I would not litter a disc but it was cool to read.

Go buy a new disc, that one is for the box of discs you don.'t use in the course, it's a field practice disc...

I feel like in the time it has taken you to try and fix this disc, you could have gone to the store, bought a fresh one, and played enough rounds to beat it in to where it matches this disc. Actually, now that I think about it, that's what you should do...go buy a new one and start beating it in. For the most part, having a "favorite" disc is a mental block. There's no reason a skilled player can't buy a disc, make some practice throws with it, and love it too. Take a look at skilled ams and pros: they buy several of the same mold, beat them in to various states of wear, and then use them for a wide variety of shots. There's no need to buy a whole bunch of specialty disc or one special disc to do what you want it to do. Learn the disc and gain control over it so you can dictate the flightpath instead of the disc telling you what it's going to do.

Trim it. Go with the "buy a new one, break it in".

I'd say trim it, carry it and a new one also. Throw the new one as a second shot on holes you normally use the one that's broken in. Eventually its gonna break in. Or throw the new one in place of a more overstable disc until it works its way your broken in one does

...There's no reason a skilled player can't buy a disc, make some practice throws with it, and love it too.

Take a look at skilled ams and pros: they buy several of the same mold, beat them in to various states of wear, and then use them for a wide variety of shots...

This is the best advice you can get. When I lost my favorite TeeBird that I had been throwing for ~4.5 years, I just couldn't get my my new one to do half of what my baby did. After about a month, I realized that my disc definitely wasn't coming back (in the middle of a lake - not pond). I haven't had an issues with any new disc since, except new molds. They require an introduction in the practice field.

As for the second part of the quote, losing that TeeBird taught me an important lesson: If it's a disc that's part of your tourney bag, always have duplicates and beat all of them into different stages of wear. I usually take and throw the dupes on the holes without a lot of risk/reward during casual rounds. I like to throw extra drives, too, but my regular group is fairly fine to let me wear myself out early. Losing a disc during a round is rough. Knowing the next disc I have to throw at least a little helps tremendously.

i know its a rule and all, but its not like him melting some of the disc is gonna make it a super disc that aces every time.

Someone working on a disc to get it back to it's original flight characteristics is ok by me, and arguably within the rules. I don't however, like that logic at all. Just because breaking a rule doesn't automatically give you an immediate advantage, it doesn't make it ok to ignore that rule.

To those of you who actually posted to help me with my cracked disc...

Thank you. I trimmed off a bit and sealed the crack with super glue. I'll find off if it holds tomorrow at league.

To everyone who posted random other stuff...

This thread was simply about me trying to repair a damaged disc.

So a couple days ago my Star Eagle took some damage. I've tried the melt/press method twice and both times the cut/crack has popped out again, both times within 3-4 throws. I'm thinking about using Epoxy next, but I figured I might as well check to see if there were any other disc repair techniques for something like this. It's just too big to cut out, and I'd hate to loose my favorite control driver.

Any thoughts?

yeah you need a new disc bro