• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania FD3

DAAAARN there are a lot of overstable control drivers to choose from. This has to be the golden age of them, just like fast, stable driving putters.

So in the way of the popular ones, we have in order of stability:

FAF firebirds, other FAF freakishly stable XXXs etc / typical current production firebirds / typical current production felons, ahtis, XXXs, sexybirds, doombirds / typical FD3s / PDs, bigbirds, star thunderbirds / regular old thunderbirds

Don't forget the Mint Alpha! It goes in near the bottom part of your list with the PD and Thundies. Also in that class are the Fortress (close to the regular FD3) and Culverin (close to the Thundie). I would also venture to say that a Champ Orc also falls into this mix somewhere. We also have the Predator, Criminal and the Enemy and Fighter and of course the RDG Raptor near the top of your list.

There's a lot of great discs out there right now! It's way too easy to have too many of them and it's much harder to figure out which ones fit in your bag.

With regards to the FD3, I put it right in between my '15 Sexy Firebird and Fresh Tp Fortress. HSS is similar to the Fortress and LSS is similar to the Firebird. The Boom Bird is also fairly close to a slightly worn Felon in that you can coax some turn out of it but still count on that strong finish. I think it's the closest thing to a Felon that Discmania/Innova has now.

Don't forget the Mint Alpha! It goes in near the bottom part of your list with the PD and Thundies. Also in that class are the Fortress (close to the regular FD3) and Culverin (close to the Thundie). I would also venture to say that a Champ Orc also falls into this mix somewhere. We also have the Predator, Criminal and the Enemy and Fighter and of course the RDG Raptor near the top of your list.

There's a lot of great discs out there right now! It's way too easy to have too many of them and it's much harder to figure out which ones fit in your bag.

Oh yeah love the fortress, I bag it with a felon.

Received my Doombird from DiscBaron, along with a friendly handwritten letter and a coupon for my next purchase.

The disc is board flat and an awesome blend of star/s-line. Can't wait to throw it to see how it compares to my stock C-line which has a much more mild dome.

I have a star firebird in this slot right now, but it's really too much disc for me. I use it for utility 95% the time, and it's great for that. But I almost never throw it.
I have a gstar thunderbird that is my primary headwind driver, but once the wind gets up past moderate the thundy gets pushed around.
So I'd like something with more stability that still has some distance potential.
Eying up a doombird, felon, or possibly a more stable thundy-like a mf or star. Any thoughts?

For reference I throw my Teebirds 320-350' and my thunderbird probably more like 280-300

I pulled the trigger on a c-line Luster and a swirly doom bird. Both 175. Both great looking discs. And both are quite grippy (surpriseingly so) and didn't give me any trouble when a bit wet.
They feel great in the hand, the closest in feel to a firebird, of Disc's I've thrown. Just a tad less thick/tall. The Luster has a mild dome. The DB is pretty flat, similar profile to my star FB.

I only managed a half dozen or so throws with each. So far they look very promising. Definitely beefy, but I can get them to flatten out and fly for a bit before they dump and skip. Where the firebird starts hooking left almost out of my hand.
With just a bit of seasoning I think these will be great throwers.

Spent some time today in a field comparing my Doom Bird against a couple other OS drivers. Looking for best speed 9-10 compliment to my Thunderbirds.

175g FD3 Doom Bird
175g Color Glow Champion Firebird (feels exactly like a Sexton Firebird but with a unique tournament stamp)
173-175g Z Machete

This was my second day testing the Machete and I'm completely convinced that it's useless to me. On my strongest FH's it immediately wants to fight to the ground. Just not getting any useful flights out of it and having to use way too much energy trying to get it anywhere. It beat me up just like the C-PD2 and the Star Max did.

The Firebird and FD3 were very similar but I kept getting a better OS flight out of the FD3. A little more distance and often would get more fade out of it because it would stay in the air longer. The Firebird would want to get to the ground sooner than I wanted. They both feel very similar but I think I'm going to give the FD3 more attention after all. It really is a great compliment to the Thunderbird where you don't want all the glide and need it to hold a tighter, more OS line.

Are the Doom Birds seens as the most OS FD3 out right now? If so, I think I'll pick up another as a backup.

Last edited:
-the machete in big z in lighter weights for me was badass. the rim is bigger than 9 for sure. maybe a 10 plus is how it felt. by the way I'm not into stupid os. for me it flew just like the fd3 but faster. had it not been a late season purchase it would have made the bag.

-the luster limited run of fd3's were the run the man! discmania even noted they were the least os of all the run's. I Imagine this kind of how the coveted run of pd's fly. I don't really like max weight and that's all discmania does on these bouquet runs so it will be more for windy days when I second guess my pd's kind of thing.

-also, the fortress was a fun throw. more os than I thought for sure cause they said it was like a pd. out of ten fifteen pd's I sampled of recent run's the fortress was still a hair more os than my most stable pd's. another one of those late season purchases that I loved but it got cold to test further and drop in the bag for a few rounds.

I think August Dupree summed it up well, that the choices now are incredible. problem is yes, making a decision is tough.

Last edited:
Spent some time today in a field comparing my Doom Bird against a couple other OS drivers. Looking for best speed 9-10 compliment to my Thunderbirds.

175g FD3 Doom Bird
175g Color Glow Champion Firebird (feels exactly like a Sexton Firebird but with a unique tournament stamp)
173-175g Z Machete

This was my second day testing the Machete and I'm completely convinced that it's useless to me. On my strongest FH's it immediately wants to fight to the ground. Just not getting any useful flights out of it and having to use way too much energy trying to get it anywhere. It beat me up just like the C-PD2 and the Star Max did.

The Firebird and FD3 were very similar but I kept getting a better OS flight out of the FD3. A little more distance and often would get more fade out of it because it would stay in the air longer. The Firebird would want to get to the ground sooner than I wanted. They both feel very similar but I think I'm going to give the FD3 more attention after all. It really is a great compliment to the Thunderbird where you don't want all the glide and need it to hold a tighter, more OS line.

Are the Doom Birds seens as the most OS FD3 out right now? If so, I think I'll pick up another as a backup.

I had actually heard the opposite. I heard Doom Birds were a little less overstable than most FD3's. Supposedly the swirly S-line Lizotte FD3's from earlier this year were the most avertable. They had the regular Lizotte stamp that you would see on his signature FD's or PD2's.

How would you rate the stability of the different plastics? It seems like luster is the least overstable with metal flake being the most for me. I haven't tired a Doombird.

Anyone got a hold of one of these Glow C-Lines? If so how are they flying? As OS as DoomBirds?

Anyone got a hold of one of these Glow C-Lines? If so how are they flying? As OS as DoomBirds?

I second this.... I'd like to know as well. Anyone pick one up?
I thought I saw somewhere that Eagle said that they are the most overstable run of fd3 he's had

DBs aren't really *that* OS. Pretty straight with a nice left finish. Actually, my KJ Teebirds are MUCH more OS than my DBs...

I have the flat Doombird run, it's easily more OS than a sexybird and a C-Line FD3.

I have a 11x KJ teebird it's less OS than any of those discs.

I get right drift on a flat release on 360' shots with the KJ.

IF I can get the DB out to 360' its going to end up 40-50 feet left of the KJ.

I second this.... I'd like to know as well. Anyone pick one up?
I thought I saw somewhere that Eagle said that they are the most overstable run of fd3 he's had

It's more OS than a C-line, about the same as the flat Doombird Run. A little more comfortable to throw, the Doombirds are STIFF.

I have the flat Doombird run, it's easily more OS than a sexybird and a C-Line FD3.

I have a 11x KJ teebird it's less OS than any of those discs.

I get right drift on a flat release on 360' shots with the KJ.

IF I can get the DB out to 360' its going to end up 40-50 feet left of the KJ.

I second this experience. My doombirds don't feel as overstable as the swirly lizotte birds from the year prior, but are still categorically more OS than my 10x or 11x Nybos

Wow...maybe I got some weird ones? I can get my KJs out to just about 400' and still have healthy fade. Very slight, if any, mid-flight turn. My DBs are dead straight and then fade, normally out to about the same distance. Thrown with less power, the fade is similar. The one area they are different is in the wind. The DBs can handle it, the KJ can't. (I get the speed differential here.)

I do have a couple more DBs that are much flatter than the two main ones I'm using now. Maybe they are what you guys describe?

I do have a couple more DBs that are much flatter than the two main ones I'm using now. Maybe they are what you guys describe?

I didn't get any of the non-flat ones. Mine are really flat, almost FAF level.

I would guess the ones your throwing could be less OS, but I'm surprised you think the KJ is more OS than them. Maybe your KJ is one of the mythical super OS ones I've heard of. I haven't seen one in person though, they are all pretty much 7 |5 |0 |2 in my experience.

I'd put the FD3 in general at 9| 4| 0 |3

Mine have a VERY slight dome to them. My other backups are very flat, much more so.

There was so much overlap between them, I took the KJs out of the bag for now. Nearly identical flight with the KJ being just a hair shorter. My KJs would be more like 7/5/1/3 and my FD3 at 9/5/0/2.