• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Diehards

My whole bag is ESP except for my putter (Pro D Magnet) and my most stable disc, Z Flick. I like how fast it beats in because it stays consistent until you lose it. It doesn't keep breaking in like elite X, Pro, pro D, or DX. I think ESP is the best of both worlds.:thmbup:

It depends who you are, I'm not trying to say that it's a bad plastic, all plastic has their place. I just mean in terms of comparing it to Star plastic, Star is a little more durable.

I totally get why someone would like it, and I really like my ESP Wasp, however, I wish it stayed a little more overstable.

Also, I've heard that briefly microwaving discs relieves stress, and maybe that would bring a disc back to shape? Can anyone confirm that?

Also, I've heard that briefly microwaving discs relieves stress, and maybe that would bring a disc back to shape? Can anyone confirm that?

never tried that but here is my technique:
1. submerge disc in almost boiling water for a minute
2. dry it off and place it flight plate down on glass table
3. place large flat book (i use a college textbook) and then something very heavy on top (i use a crate of vinyl records)

works like a charm with dx/pro type plastics. sometimes the flight plates will sink but after you remove the weight they usually pop right back. i do this with my putters about once a month.

I throw primarily Discraft:

Surge (distance driver)
Avenger SS (control driver, beat up one for turnovers)
Buzzz (Heavy Cryztal and a light ESP)
Comet

I have a Champ Banshee in my bag that could be replaced with a Z Hornet but I use what I have on hand.

I putt/upshot with Wizards and the closest thing to it would be the Challenger. I've thrown a FLX for a day and it was ok but I would've liked it to be a little more stable. Maybe the Cryztal/Cryztal FLX are more stable? I'm sure the Soft Challengers are nice for putting though.

Last edited:
I started out throwing all innova until I got my first buzzz. then Ive slowly started to add more and more. now all of my mids are discraft(3 buzzes, hornet,buzz ss, meteor), as well as a stalker, XL, and just recently a Z pred took the place of my domey firebird for strong headwinds. If I could just find a thumber that compared to my Flat firebird my transition would almost be complete.

3. place large flat book (i use a college textbook) and then something very heavy on top (i use a crate of vinyl records)

works like a charm with dx/pro type plastics. sometimes the flight plates will sink but after you remove the weight they usually pop right back. i do this with my putters about once a month.

Hmm interesting! I may have to try this. Do you know of any way to increase the dome of a disc? My Buzzz and my R-Pro Aviar (just pretend it's a Soft Magnet!) have collapsed a little.

I throw a little of everything, but mostly Innova. Not on purpose, my bag has just ended up that way over time. I really like their new drivers, mostly the Archon which is my favorite at the moment. Champion Eagles and Teebirds found their way in and are a couple of my favorites as well. Although, the Surge FLX is definitely one of my go-to drivers and the Focus is my best putter -- I really like the FLX plastic for all around grip. I find that although Innova's molds may very, when you happen upon a good one.....well, they stay with you. Also, I've found color makes a big difference for some odd reason. Picking the same color as a previous disc can help alleviate some of the variation in mold....atleast for me is does, and yes, I know it sounds crazy.

Garret

How different is a wasp and a roc?

I held one up to a roc, and I am not too experienced on the way discs are shaped so much, but they seemed to mirror each other. I ask because I love Z plastic, and would want to try one out if they are, in essence, the same disc.

I understand that the wasp was a clone of the roc
They should look very similar

At the time it came out it was in Z and a "premium" plastic roc that was easily available

Last edited:

Just know that this makes discs illegal for PDGA tournament play. It falls under the modification rule.

Not that anybody would call you on it, and it would be hard to prove anyway, but figured I'd just put the info out there.

Is the Drone ANYWHERE close to a gator?

It has been a while since I have thrown either
The drone may likely be DC's equivalent but I don't think that they fly similarly

I think if you search dgr discspeed wrote a good review of the drone

I think the drone has a sudden dump over fade without really flying all that over stable whereas the gator may have a more consistent over stable flight throughout it's flight

This might apply to the Z which were not as flat as the ESP
The ESP might be closer the gator

I love that Discraft Misprints are really only misprints, and do not affect flight. Compared to the X Out Innovas I get with bubbles and dimples all over them.

It has been a while since I have thrown either
The drone may likely be DC's equivalent but I don't think that they fly similarly

I think if you search dgr discspeed wrote a good review of the drone

I think the drone has a sudden dump over fade without really flying all that over stable whereas the gator may have a more consistent over stable flight throughout it's flight

This might apply to the Z which were not as flat as the ESP
The ESP might be closer the gator

Type 1 Vs Tupe 2 overstable discs.. I know that DGR has a write-up on this

I've never really had much loyalty to one company or another but I have been putting more and more discraft in my bag. My buzzzes will never leave my bag. I carry a beat in one and a newer one. I like the consistency of discraft. I've gone threw about 8 buzzzes and everyone is the same out the box. I throw vaklaries and hate having to go threw a bunch to find one that flies "similar" to the one I lost. I know if I need a new avenger ss or zone or challenger I can just go get the same weight and it'll have the same flight. But I don't think my hard and evo warlocks will ever be leave the bag.

I know that the topic of "discraft vs innova" has been beaten to a pulp, but this isn't one of those threads.

I've come to the conclusion that, while innova has a storied past off innovation and progression of the sport, and their lineup of discs is near-exhaustive, discraft simply makes a better product disc-to-disc. Ive been far more pleased with the quality and consistency of my ever-growing collection of discraft plastic than I have been with those of innova.

It appears to me that discraft's approach is quality over quantity and I respect that. I am not one of those people who throws one brand or the other exclusively, but more and more i reach for my discraft plastic over comparable innova molds when I head out to the course.

So this thread is for us discraft guys. To talk about why we love/what we love/what we would love even more, about discraft and all the products that they make.

Fire away!

This pretty much sums up my feelings on Discraft discs. I'd also add that I just really love Z plastic as compared to champion plastic. It's a tad grippier but almost as durable (champion might be slightly more). Having said that, Innova does have some classic molds that don't have a real Discraft equivalent. A couple in my bag that probably will stay are the teebird and valkyrie. Discraft discs that I currently have are Buzzz, Comet, Avenger SS, and just recently an XL and Predator.

To other Discraft diehards, what are some other 'must have' discs?

I hear ya on the TB and valk. Currently my go-to drivers are a nuke or a valk. Overstable off the tee, I will either throw a Pred, or a force, which recently replaced my wraith.

I have a few Buzzzs and love them, as I'm sure anyone who's ever thrown one does as well, but I think discraft has a vastly underrated midrange lineup beyond the Buzzz. Im a big fan of wasps and hornets as well. I also throw an Impact as a mid and have found it to me a must-have. You can throw it from a stand-still and get 250' out of it. All while keeping it 5 feet off the ground. It's an amazing disc that I'll never be without. Its a savior for those times you have no line but a low line.

Just came back to dc mids and man did I miss them. Comets bread and butter disc. Buzzs reliable discs and the drone I love can't throw it far but its a stable workhorse of my bag.

All my mids are DC too. Discraft is slowly starting to take over driver slots but I don't see 'em ever replacing my Tee Birds or Aviar's.

I came up using aviars. But I picked up a challenger and loved it. I would suggest just trying a a DC putter, just to say you have. Personally, my favorite is a D Focus. It's bullet-nosed and beaded, and flies well even on windy putts.

I hear ya on the TB and valk. Currently my go-to drivers are a nuke or a valk. Overstable off the tee, I will either throw a Pred, or a force, which recently replaced my wraith.

I have a few Buzzzs and love them, as I'm sure anyone who's ever thrown one does as well, but I think discraft has a vastly underrated midrange lineup beyond the Buzzz. Im a big fan of wasps and hornets as well. I also throw an Impact as a mid and have found it to me a must-have. You can throw it from a stand-still and get 250' out of it. All while keeping it 5 feet off the ground. It's an amazing disc that I'll never be without. Its a savior for those times you have no line but a low line.

Thanks for the tip on the Impact--never thrown one. I could use a disc like that I think. Right now I'd probably use the Comet for this type of shot, but it would probably be easier to use a slightly faster disc. How does a Meteor compare to an Impact? I've heard tons of praise for it on the boards.