• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft: Further, Straighter

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've slowly been gravitating to Discraft discs for the sole purpose that they know how to make discs stable and straight. I still mainly have Innova in my bag, but lately I've been using the newer Discraft discs I've purchased. The problem I have with Innova drivers is that they seem to be either too understable to where you have to hyzer-flip them to get them straight (otherwise, risk it turning over on you), or the stable drivers tend to have too much fade when they finish for it to end straight.

I find it easier to throw a disc flat and have it fly that way then having to add another element into your throw, which for hyzer-flips would be the angle of release. I've noticed with the Discraft discs I've used that you can really get a good full throw behind them, while releasing them flat, and then having them land almost as flat as you threw it...never having to worry about it turning over (into the wind is a different issue altogether, cause they will turn over). It seems that Discraft has been able to find that fine line between stableness and straightness that has eluded Innova for all these years.

I present the evidence:

Buzzz-- less fade with more glide than a Roc and at Max weight is not flippy

Stalker-- It's actually very similar to a Teebird and this is why it's interesting because every Innova fan loves the Teebird because it's the only Innova driver that even comes close to being a stable straight driver. The Stalker seems to have it beat though with a little less fade and it's actually even a bit more stable.

Surge SS-- You know that nicely beat-in Wraith you use for most of your distance shots? This is better.

I agree with the surge ss be a great disc but I think it is less stable then a wraith. I think the regular surge in esp is a better comparison to the wraith.

The ontario rocs have a much straighter overall flight then a buzz. For me the buzz turns to easily at high speeds. It will come back but I don't think it is really that straight compared to a star ontario roc.

People like teebirds because of there consistant stability reliable finish. The TL is the straighter version if you don't want the hard fade at the end.

Discraft definately has some nice discs, but so does, innova, latitude 64, gateway etc. Throw what works for you and don't worry about the name on it.

The best thing that discraft has is consistancy. If I loose a surge I can go online and order a new one and it will be the same. The opto line plastic from latitude is the same way. With innova and gateway I would rather feel the disc before buying it.

The issue with throwing flat to get a straight flight is that when you develop more power, the only discs that will not turn over on a flat throw will also fade hard. Anything that doesn't fade hard will turn over.

I'll also suggest that throwing flat actually adds more variables than throwing with a hyzer. It's a safe assumption that anyone will have some variance in what angle they actually throw at. Let's say it's +/- 2 degrees. On a hyzer flip that's +/- 2 degrees of hyzer. On a flat shot that's 2 degrees of hyzer to 2 degrees of anhyzer. Chaning a couple degrees of hyzer with a predictable disc won't change the flight a lot. Going from hyzer to anhyzer can change the flight drastically.

All that being said, I agree with your generalization of Discraft discs. They tend to be more HSS than Innova discs for how much fade they have. Innova discs seem to be designed for more of a hyzer flip. Of course there are exceptions on both sides.

Discraft is just more consistant. I love orcs but I have to look at each one to find one with the same dome as what I am used to. I also had to star wraiths one i still have the other has been traded about 6 times no one yet can get a consistant flight out of it. but my Surge ss in flx is the same as all the others i have thrown. I used to throw a flex shot turn over an overstable driver and let it flex back. this was fine on open holes but a few rounds on narrow fairways made me work on flat staight, now I use both shots depending on the hole. I am still trying to get enough snap for a hyzer flip.

The issue with throwing flat to get a straight flight is that when you develop more power, the only discs that will not turn over on a flat throw will also fade hard. Anything that doesn't fade hard will turn over.

Excellent point/observation, I had never actually thought of this but it's absolutely true. I have never really developed a good anhyzer shot, and I tend to throw straight shots pretty hard so I need more overstable discs and they do fade very hard at the end as a result. This post is going to make me try that much harder to develope a good anhyzer shot. Thanks

This is the exact issue with Innova I'm referring to. When I was throwing only Innova's I thought this is just the way all discs are, but I'll tell you, those Discraft discs I mentioned have changed my opinion. I'm not hating on Innova...well, actually, I guess in a way, I am. Although, I'm not doing it out of spite or anything-- just observations I've had over a long period of time throwing their discs. When you're talking stability of distance drivers from Innova, there's a big jump between the understability of a Valkyrie or Beast compared to the stableness of a Wraith, Destroyer or Boss. The Surge SS fills that gap perfectly. Once you beat-in the Star Wraith to its sweet spot, it comes pretty dang close to filling that gap, but the Surge SS fills it right out of the box.

Just wondering, but have you tried the Surge SS? You've probably got more of an arm than me so maybe it would flip on you, but for me it is just the perfect stability. When I get a clean throw on it, I get it out to around 360' with just a very slight, tight little S curve, but for the most part practically dead straight. My perfectly beat Star Wraith would fly similar to this but just slightly worse in every category that makes the Surge SS so great. The Wraith needs a lot more room for its S curve and there's a very fine line between turning over (and not coming back) and having a big skip fade at the end.

I just got a Surge SS in Z plastic. Its pretty nice, its mostly a hyzer flip disc for me. It does have some crazy glide to it. But I got the Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers and that disc is awesome! I just got sick of loosing my turnover discs so I needed to find a disc that was durable yet understable out of the box and I found it!

Once you beat-in the Star Wraith to its sweet spot, it comes pretty dang close to filling that gap, but the Surge SS fills it right out of the box.
But what happens when the Surge SS hits the sweet spot?

Just wondering, but have you tried the Surge SS?
No, but I've heard really good things about it. I've decided I'm going to learn to throw right before I buy any new, fast discs to try out.

I'm not doubting that you found a disc that will fly straght for you when thrown flat, but I am doubting that will be the most consistant way to perform that shot. If you're getting a new Surge SS out 360' on a really tight 'S' curve I'd also guess that you'll be able to get the same, straight D out of a beat up Teebird with more control. My prediction is that once you figure out you can do that you'll realize you can get more D out of the Surge SS by turning it over some and the low, straight shot you're talking about will be mostly used for low ceiling shots where a little extra D will help out.

If I do have more power than anyone on here it's because I listened to the advice I'm constantly regurgitating on here.