• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

Sun King still has some I think. They are super tasty!

I'm pretty sure Aims was being sarcastic...but they do look nice, I just don't know many people that throw green discs.

Every tourney disc I get, I ask or trade for the green ones, just to put on the wall. That's where this Buzzz will be going.

The least interesting thing about disc golf as analyzed by those whose opinions have never been valued by any disc golf company ever.

The St Pattys Buzzzes look dope!

The least interesting thing about disc golf as analyzed by those whose opinions have never been valued by any disc golf company ever.

The St Pattys Buzzzes look dope!

Well at least I know where I stand. Kind of funny that you and the brothers don't value the people that actually buy and throw your products, you arrogant prick.

I suppose any publicity is good publicity. Maybe this is good for Discraft? Or just to make things equal, I think some other companies like Trilogy, MVP, Vibram, and ____ could all use a similar forum.

Wasn't everyone doing the "Has <insert some pro player who performed worse in his/her most recent tournament than the one before it> peaked?" thing a couple months ago? Maybe now we need to enter the "<Disc manufacturer> needs to step their game back up!" era of DGCR. I can't think of any other ways to make this place better... :\

I'm pretty sure Aims was being sarcastic...but they do look nice, I just don't know many people that throw green discs.

Every tourney disc I get, I ask or trade for the green ones, just to put on the wall. That's where this Buzzz will be going.

I know. I wasn't going to let him bring me down. These are definitely NOT throwers!

My point is, Discraft is one of the top investors in tournaments. So while they may not put as much into sponsoring players, they have made a conscious decision that its better for them to invest in events. And I think that is paying off in a major way for them.

You mean like Michael Johansen who is currently ranked #11 in the world? Was #7, but hasn't played in any of the early season majors.

Or Maybe Austin Turner who was 8th at GCC and 21st at The Memorial?

With a reduced schedule, I don't know what Val Jenkins and/or Nate Doss will bring to the table as far as top finishes go, but you can't really sleep on those two either.

I do agree they should be making better use of Social Media. Produce more YouTube videos, etc.

Exactly like MJ and Austin Turner. I was excited to see Austin touring with Jerm this year. I became an Austin Turner fan after watching him on several YouTube videos. He's got great skills and is fun to watch. I wish Discraft had some way of helping MJ get to more tournaments. Everyone loves him. I think having more exposure of him on the national scene would grow interest for him and what he throws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to this thread. This weekend I took the new Avaitor to warm up for some ultimate games. Multiple people threw it and as soon as they did, they said that isn't an Ultrastar and went and grabbed an Ultrastar.

The Ultrastar is such a part of ultimate I don't think Discraft is going anywhere just because of that disc. I have yet to find an ultimate player who prefers any of the other discs to the Ultrastar.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I've only heard good things about the Pulsar, but I've never thrown one. The Ultrastar works just fine, thanks.

Oak Grove in Pasadena has a fairly close relationship with Innova due to proximity, and had some Pulsars stamped for the 40th Anniversary Tourney last year. DG'rs probably prefered the stability, because they were trying to drive them like golf discs, but for the relatively short distance you need to throw in Ultimate the Ultrastar is easier to shape Outside-In throws.

I used to play catch with the Ultrastar quite a bit, but now just use the terribly named Putt'r. Gotten a few long air bounce throw ins with that lid.

I believe that Discraft is a private company so actual numbers on the health of their business are unavailable to the general public, but regarding disc golf there's a couple of interesting and related points to consider.

1. While I wouldn't call it 'consensus' I would say that in general, the more experienced a player the fewer the number of molds they are likely to use consistently. This doesn't mean they don't carry situational discs or try new things out. It means the 'meat and potatoes' of their bag is probably 5 molds at most, which is a sound variable-reducing, consistency-building strategy. This reduces the real need for oodles of molds by Discraft.

2. Marketing studies have shown that a buyer presented with too many choices actually ends up buying LESS. Take for instance the spaghetti sauce aisle in the supermarket with 60 'flavors' (does anyone really NEED this many iterations of sauce?)...these same studies have shown that in general people actually BUY one of three basic sauce variations. This makes me conclude that considering other business costs, Discraft uses an essentially sound strategy by limiting their number of available golf disc molds (I wish they'd have kept the APX though).

Check out this link from NPR w/ Malcolm Gladwell, a fairly well-respected thinker, who discusses this phenomena...http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=519265471

.....(I wish they'd have kept the APX though).

I don't see a lot of mold minimalists in my area, and the top pros (Ricky, Eagle, Paul, etc) are still bagging 12+ molds. McBeth's latest in the bag showed him bagging 26 discs in 12 different molds (and he added the Gator back for the Wintertime Open this past February.) I do agree that Discraft has enough discs to fill every slot, but I don't think it's their strategy to weed out overlap...

BTW: APX is still in production in Soft X. And the Reef (DGA's version of the APX from what I've been told) is available in D and SP.

I don't see a lot of mold minimalists in my area, and the top pros (Ricky, Eagle, Paul, etc) are still bagging 12+ molds.

This is interesting. I was actually watching his (McBeth's) 'In the Bag' from last year, and by my way of thinking he seemed to play primarily 3 main molds, which seem to be his 'meat and potatoes'. Aviar, Roc and Destroyer. The video I saw the largest number of discs per mold in his bag were Rocs and Destroyers (at 8 & 6, if memory serves).

I'm not saying this to 'prove my point', I'm saying that typically an experienced golfer's game is based on a limited number of molds, especially when considering the general percentage of strokes made with same during a 'typical' round. I also say this as a tip to less experienced people wishing to speed up their learning curve and eliminate variables...

I see your point, though, I guess it's how technical one wishes to be, for example, while the Roc and Roc3 are different molds, I would consider them 'the same' for the purpose of making my general point...Your point seems to be that an expert knows how to take advantage of all of these smaller differences and in fact, requires them to compete at the higher levels...fair enough.

In my day, people could win on the strength of equipment alone. If you were the guy connected enough to have a couple of Aeros and the other guys had Midnight Flyers, you were feeling pretty confident. I still remember the day I got my first Aero (patent pending btw)...;)

Last edited:
I never got too attached to discraft, but I know that they have some solid discs. Nuke, Predator, Surge, Wasp, Buzz, and the Zone all come to mind. My first ace was with a cryztal buzz :thmbup:

I was never a fan of their super slick Z plastic though. I feel like they would be better off sticking to ESP and Cryztal for their two premium plastics.

Latest posts