• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft nuke/Innova ?...

MGColtharp

So discraft has the nuke, but I'm not the biggest fan of discraft so what would be the innova equivalent?

Yeah as soon as I posted this I knew somebody would be a smart@ss and say star katana. I'm with you, they are nothing alike. I've thrown both too, and I got a champion katana and it's crazy overstable...but yeah thanks for posting that so some kid doesn't try to make me look like a dumb@ss

There isn't one. Some kid will say star Katana but I own both and they fly nothing alike

There isn't one. Some kid will say star Katana but I own both and they fly nothing alike

Seconded. Out of Innova's Speed 13 drivers, nothing flies the same as the Nuke. Boss is beefier, Groove is crap, and the Katana is significantly flippier.

A nicely beat in Echo Star Boss is relatively close in flight to a Z Nuke, maybe a little shorter. The feel in the hand is also similar. The biggest difference will be the feel of the grip, Z versus Echo Star, huge difference.

If you are talking about about an ESP Nuke, your closest bet would be a lighter Star Katana, a heavier Champion Katana, a heavier R-Pro Boss, or a nice 169-172g Star Valkyrie (albeit it will be a tad slower, but its lines are similar). Edited note: yea, I know of the huge variations between the Katanas and that some runs are far more stable than others, the question being what is closest to a Nuke, and as the original question did not mention the specific Nuke plastic, this is the best Innova has in comparison, although not a good comparison.

The only other disc even remotely close in speed is the Groove, but that thing is so nose sensative that its lines are no where near what the Nuke can accomplish.

Last edited:
Yeah as soon as I posted this I knew somebody would be a smart@ss and say star katana. I'm with you, they are nothing alike. I've thrown both too, and I got a champion katana and it's crazy overstable...but yeah thanks for posting that so some kid doesn't try to make me look like a dumb@ss

I'm always surprised at how different people can describe discs very differently. I own a First Run ESP Nuke, and First Run Z Nuke as well as Pro Worlds CFR Star Katana and Champ Katana as well. I wouldn't describe either of my Katanas as way overstable. They both S-curve quite a bit for me off of hyzer lines. For me, they fall somewhere between my beat-in ESP Surge and my new Wraiths as far as stability goes.

Not to say yours don't fly like that, just an interesting observation.

Yeah I'm new to the bigger lips on discs so it could just be me, I'm use to stuff like beast's and eagles. So yeah it could just be me not knowing how to throw my champ katana, I think I'll get in a big field and work on it. Thanks!

I'm always surprised at how different people can describe discs very differently. I own a First Run ESP Nuke, and First Run Z Nuke as well as Pro Worlds CFR Star Katana and Champ Katana as well. I wouldn't describe either of my Katanas as way overstable. They both S-curve quite a bit for me off of hyzer lines. For me, they fall somewhere between my beat-in ESP Surge and my new Wraiths as far as stability goes.

Buy a Glo Ninja. Its plastic is durable and its flight is comparable. Who cares that it is not PDGA approved, or Innova?

Seriously though, I would try a lighter Echo Star Boss. It is not as beefy as other Bosses once it has taken a few hits and it is a million times more durable than an R-Pro Boss, which is probably the closest thing Innova has to a Nuke.

I'm always surprised at how different people can describe discs very differently.

I'm pretty sure it's because of manufacturing inconsistencies between runs or molds. I've pretty much given up on generalizing flight characteristics based on just the disc name and plastic. :(

Yeah to be honest I don't like discraft because some people are discraft freaks and only throw discraft no matter what I don't give a sh!t about who makes what disc lol I just don't like people who are all about discraft and won't listen to anyone about anything else but yeah you're right

Buy a Glo Ninja. Its plastic is durable and its flight is comparable. Who cares that it is not PDGA approved, or Innova?

Seriously though, I would try a lighter Echo Star Boss. It is not as beefy as other Bosses once it has taken a few hits and it is a million times more durable than an R-Pro Boss, which is probably the closest thing Innova has to a Nuke.

Yeah to be honest I don't like discraft because some people are discraft freaks and only throw discraft no matter what I don't give a sh!t about who makes what disc lol I just don't like people who are all about discraft and won't listen to anyone about anything else but yeah you're right

haha wow thats funny because there are a lot more people that I know of that are strictly Innova and say the same thing. So sounds like your leaning towards being that with a mix of "anything but discraft"
I believe the nuke is inbetween the katana and boss. atleast between all of the ones I have thrown.

yeah I would but discraft's ESP plastic is sh!t now, so I think I'll wait till someone can help me out

Well it's not ESP in general. The ESP Nuke just has tons of Pro-D thrown into the mix because just straight ESP plastic would make the weights crazy high. Food for thought.

That explains a lot, I thought that discraft had dropped the ball on their ESP stuff. Why would ESP make the disc a lot heavier?

Well it's not ESP in general. The ESP Nuke just has tons of Pro-D thrown into the mix because just straight ESP plastic would make the weights crazy high. Food for thought.