• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dislocated kneecap! How long before playing again is ok?

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
Ok so my wife dislocated herkneecap on her left leg about 33 days ago. She plays disc golf all the time and is dieing to get back to playing. She throws rhbh and some rhfh. She is saying she is going to give it another week and shes going back to playing. Im worried she is rushing back to soon but Im not sure if I can talk her out of it. Basically she is taking 5 weeks off. I was hoping she would wait until our local ace race which is on september 22nd but now now she sais shes coming back earlier. Thoughts?

doctor

She did go to a doctor thats how we knew for sure what it was. Problem was she was supposed to go back to the doctor next week but she sais shes not going back. Basically was wondering if anyone else has went through a similar experience.

I've been through the experience of self-diagnosis.

I wouldn't wish similar results on your wife, or anyone else.

If she wants to fully heal she needs to go back. Anyone here who gives advice would be responsible if she listened and got hurt because she did not heal as fast. No doctor, no disc golf is my advice.

knee

I stopped her a couple of weeks ago but I dont think its going to work again. Shes worried shes going to lose the league shes playing in if she doesnt get back soon.

knee

If she wants to fully heal she needs to go back. Anyone here who gives advice would be responsible if she listened and got hurt because she did not heal as fast. No doctor, no disc golf is my advice.

I agree but shes hardheaded. Not asking if anyone thinks she should or should not play. Im not telling her about this thread at all. Just wondering if anyone else has dislocated theirs and how long they were out.

For the record Im going to try and get her to wait a couple more weeks or see the doctor. This thread is for my benifit not for her.

Tell her all her discs were stolen. Then in a few weeks, surprise her with her bag of discs...

If she's able to quickly catch you and administer a beating, her knee's probably ready to go.

Anything dislocated needs to heal properly before going back. Odds are already good that it's going to happen again anyway. No need to make it worse by coming back from it too early.

Just exactly how many YEARS is she willing to miss if she's wrong?

You should probably talk to a doctor and not a forum full of morons.

Probably that.

But, if you want opinions from us, how much of a run up does she do? If she takes the run up out she's prob ok.

But, yeah, scratch that. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I did the same thing when I was 16. No lie, it took a year before my knee was "right" again. If she plays disc golf now, she will, with almost complete certainty, dislocate her knee again.

I played basketball about 4 months after my accident, and my knee dislocated temporarily a couple of times. As in, came out but slipped right back in. The doctor told me that each time this happened, it weakend my tendon and probably added another month to total recovery. I'm sorry, but this was my first hand experience.

I agree but shes hardheaded. Not asking if anyone thinks she should or should not play. Im not telling her about this thread at all. Just wondering if anyone else has dislocated theirs and how long they were out.

For the record Im going to try and get her to wait a couple more weeks or see the doctor. This thread is for my benifit not for her.

6 weeks is usually the minimum for even minor injuries. She is going to have to forget about leagues. she is either going to lose leagues or the ability to walk for long distances.

Trust me, I've seen what NOT following up with your primary care physician, or your surgeon can do to patients. She needs to follow up. I cannot stress this enough.

Too many times, we try and self diagnose. She does not want to jeapordize the health of her knee.

I don't know your your financial situtation, but if you have no insurance, and finances are what's keeping you away from seeking a follow up appointment, she can contact the physician's office, and they can possibly put her on a payment plan. If there is no other option, seek medical care for follow up at your county's low cost health clinic. Low cost clinics often charge on a "sliding scale" based on income. Even a Walgreen's "minute clinic" would suffice.

There's simply no excuse for not taking care of yourself after an injury.

Last edited:
Dang, too late to edit. I just read that she already had an appointment.

Either way. Don't let her be stubborn. Her knee with thank you later.

And no, I'm not a doctor. But, I do work with patients every day, and know how important this is.

shes your wife,make her go to the doc whether she likes it or not. that shouldnt even be a option. my fiance is stubborn too but she knows when i put my foot down thats the final word. no ifs ands or buts. if winning league is more important to her than ever being able to play or walk right again,then she has her priorities mixed up and you should put your foot down.

Knee

Well after a heated discussion i got her to agree to sitting out a couple more weeks. That should help. Now im pushing for her to follow up with her doctor. Not really sure why she doesnt want to. We arent rich or anything but we can pay for a doctors visit. Shes a teacher so she has insurance.

If she's RHBH her right knee, that's her plant and pivot leg and the torque may be too much to handle. The long term damage and affects of not sticking to your rehab plan and timeline are way worse than missing out on league.