• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My DG travel story through Georgia with a twist of the Carolinas

chainedwraith

Par Member
Spring break was awesome this year. I played 7 new courses (9 total) while on family vacation and on my 100th course played something cool happened.

We left Orlando the day before St. Patty's Day with our eventual goal to spend a week in a cabin up in Hiawassee, GA near the NC border. On our way up, we stopped in Savannah to check off one of my wife's bucket list items at the St. Patty's Day parade in downtown. It was awesome, we had a great time, but I didn't get to play a bit of golf... or should I say, I didn't bother to try to convince the wife to let me go play Triplett while in town. I've played it while passing through on previous trips and loved it, but I was saving my "golf credits" for our next stop in Augusta, GA.

We drove up to Augusta after spending most of the afternoon enjoying Savannah and the festivities. Mind you, when I mentioned "family vacation" earlier, I meant, I've got wife and 2 kids in tow. My wife doesn't exactly care for disc golf but tolerates it to a generous degree. My 10yr old daughter is mildly interested and can chuck a roc pretty good now. My 18 month old son is already obsessed with discs and is as happy as can be out on a disc golf course in his stroller as long as you don't try to pry a disc from his hands.

We got into Augusta and I basically told my wife, "look honey, I don't know that there's a whole lot for us to do outside of disc golf while we're here and frankly we don't have time for much else anyways. The IDGC is nearby and there are 3 championship caliber courses onsite and it is my hajj and I must test my skill against these 3 courses, so just bear with me this weekend and I'll take a few days off from playing once we get up to the cabin." She agreed with a somewhat reluctant look on her face, but being the awesome wife that she is, I didn't hear any grief. :thmbup:

Saturday morning we get up early and knowing that I'm going to be dragging the wife and both kids around the courses at IDGC over the next 2 mornings, I treat them to a nice hearty breakfast to get everyone in a good mood. We arrived at IDGC around 10/10:30 and wouldn't you know it.. the damn rain started coming down. It wasn't coming down hard enough to stop me from playing, but one look at my wife and I could tell she wasn't looking forward to it one bit. We get out and go inside the IDGC to look around and buy some time for the rain to pass. My son took one look into the pro shop and museum and we had to practically hand cuff him from making a mess. One of his favorite things to do at home is to empty shelves and boxes of discs and throw them all over the floor, so when he started his little toddler sprint into the museum I had to be quick to stop him from the ensuing pleasure he was about to partake in. While managing to keep my son from grabbing every disc in there, I was chatting with the guy running the pro shop and he mentioned that WR Jackson was in the "mad professor" layout and so I decided to make that course my 100th course played and the only course I would tackle that Saturday.

The rain finally slowed to a tolerable drizzle and I head out to tee off, wife and kids in tow. I played solid par golf through the first 4 holes of this tough layout but things started to unravel after taking some consecutive bad tree kicks on hole 5 leading to a 6 on the hole.
It didn't get much better the rest of the front 9, finishing +7 just on holes 5 - 9 alone. After the front 9 my wife is ready to take my son back to the Tahoe for a nap while she drives around the park looking for a playground or something else to do while I finish the back 9 solo.

I tee off on hole 10 running solo. I had a decent drive that made it down most of the straight section of fairway and finished just off-fairway right side near the bend in the dog-leg. When I get to my drive I notice 3 other guys walking down the fairway following in my direction. As they get closer, they politely pause and stop chatting while I setup my upshot, which ended up terrible, hitting an early tree and taking a nasty kick into more trouble. I gave the guys a friendly 'hello' and one of the gentlemen comes up and introduced himself and as soon as he said his name was "John" I immediately recognized him as the course designer, John Houck. Alongside him was another great designer, Harold Duvall and his son Andrew if I remember correctly.

Man, what an honorable treat it was to bump into these guys on what was already a special occassion in my book. WR Jackson was my first (and only) John Houck design played and bumping into him only made #100 more memorable. It was an equal honor meeting Harold as I had already played a few of his courses including Ashe County Park in Jefferson, NC which is one of my top 5 favorite courses played. It was really cool getting to chat with them for a few minutes as I finished out the hole. They were doing a walkthrough of the course I suppose to prepare for the tourney that was to occur the following weekend after I left. We went separate ways immediately after hole 10 but I'll never forget meeting those guys, it really made my day. I started playing better after that too. I made it through holes 11 - 14 bogey-free and then birdied holes 15 & 16 consecutively which served as my only 2 birdies on the course. This put me at even for the back 9, closing out my round with a 76 (+7). Next time if I can manage that front 9 a little better I should improve my score. Who knows how long before I return though.

When we left IDGC, I took the family into historic downtown Augusta where we ate lunch and walked the river walk area and around town a bit. We really couldn't find too much to do for the whole family so my wife wanted to go to a regular city park to let the kids play some more and so I suggested the nearby Pendleton King Park in hopes that I could also unexpectedly check that course off my list. :thmbup:

PK was a nice little course. Not much wow factor, but very similar to how I feel when I play our local Barnett Park here in Orlando. A good park course, particularly for beginners and a quick play. I played the entire course in just less than an hour knowing that my wife wasn't going to have the patience for me to play a long round plus we knew the park would be closing soon. It was a complete bonus getting to play that course and the park was very nice so the wife wasn't texting me "when are we leaving!? are you done yet? what hole are you on?" I didn't get a single text while playing, so all was good and I got to check an extra course off the list. :)

The following day we got an earlier start and I played Warner first, then saved Steady Ed for last. I pushed my son in his stroller around the entire Warner course, which gets very hilly on the back 9 particularly but I didn't let it phase me and my son had a great time making tractor motor noises whenever I had to struggle with the stroller. It took 2hrs to play Warner with the family in tow and I shot a 66 (+3). I then sent the wife and kids to the playground while I scurried through Steady Ed, blazing through the entire course in an hour and half and shooting a 68 (+1) which I felt really good about and had my most birdies during any of the rounds at IDGC with 5.

We left IDGC that Sunday afternoon and headed up to Hiawassee keeping to the west side of Georgia so I could hit the 27-hole course at Lake Russell on our way up. I didn't tell my wife that it was more than 18 holes until we got to hole 16A. She wasn't very happy about that but she survived, afterall, the park was gorgeous and the weather was perfect. I played all 27 holes in an hour and half but I only shot an 83 (-2 I think) and I know I could do better on that course if I ever play it again. I wasn't putting well and missed way too many birdie opportunities. The course was in fantastic shape. No problems pushing the stroller around except for the extra holes, but I was able to manage the few tough spots.

When we got up to the cabin I took a few days off from disc golf, but did eventually go over and play Meeks Park in Blairsville, GA. I've played Meeks Park several times on previous vacations and its a really fun little course with a good mix of shots and good use of the elevation. We frequent the area on vacations often enough that I'm sure I'll continue to hit up Meeks Park whenever in the area and would recommend others to do so as well.

The Friday before we had to head back to Florida, we drove up through Maggie Valley and stopped in Waynesville, NC. I took the wife and kids shopping in the historic downtown area and then dragged them over to the Waynesville rec center to check off another course. I played terrible, the wind was ridiculous. The course was short and I should have shredded it, but I was playing kinda in a hurry and didn't have a course guide so I struggled with navigation in a few spots but otherwise it was an "okay" course that I probably won't play again but glad I got to check it out.

We stayed the night in a really cool historic hotel in downtown Black Mountain, NC and we drove over to Richmond Hill on Saturday morning. It had been 5 yrs since the last time I had played Richmond Hill. I pushed my son in his stroller for 15 holes up and down the rugged Richmond Hill fairways. That was exhausting! I played the last few holes solo and finished with a terrible 60, hitting only 1 birdie on hole 6 with the elevated basket. Hole 7, some guys let me play through. I pretty much parked my drive and hurried up and missed what should have basically been a 6 foot tap-in birdie and the damn thing rolled downhill about 60 feet away from the basket. Par putt, hits the basket again and rolls right back in front of me about 5 feet for what is now a 55 foot bogey putt. I went from a 2 to a 5 real quick on that one while the guys who let me play through were probably getting a kick out of watching this flat-lander's game unravel. :eek: Till next time Richmond Hill! *shakes fist in air

We spent the entire rest of the day in downtown Asheville, eating, shopping, and of course beer tasting. My son had 2 discs in his stroller that he wouldn't let go of and he would randomly wave them in the air. It was cool that so many people seemed to recognize disc golf there. My son was getting high fives and just thought it was the coolest town to cruise around in his stroller. He loved the extra attention he was getting, it was cute. We had a great visit and can't wait to go back. I'll have to check out some of the newer courses around there next time through.

Our last stop was going to be Greenville, SC, but we got in late and when we woke up Sunday morning it was pouring rain so we drove through downtown, which was empty, and skipped playing Timmons Park or taking the kids to the zoo and just got on the road to head home.

When the weather cleared we were still northwest of Columbia, SC. I talked the wife into letting us stop at a small town park in Chapin, SC, to help break up the long ride home a little. I played another Harold Duvall designed course @ Crooked Creek Park. What an awesome little course, and my game got hot and I lit up the front 9 with a -7. The back 9 was a bit more challenging and the course chipped away at my nice score and I finished -4 for the round, but it was my last round of disc golf while on vacation so it felt good to finish under par. I didn't have time to play the extra 9 holes that I knew were there somewhere, but the course and park are nice enough that it's very likely I might stop there again someday and play all 27. It definitely exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to any travelling disc golfer passing through that area.

Driving home from the end of vacation really sucks. We got home at 10pm Sunday night with work the next morning. I had vacation blues all last week but really I feel blessed to have been able to take a nice trip and play as many new courses as I did, particularly since I had the wife and kids with me the entire time. I managed to keep everyone happy, which is not always easy and meeting 2 of the best course designers in the country was pure icing on the cake. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better DG trip.

Vacation course log ends as follows:

WR Jackson @ IDGC - Appling, GA
Warner @ IDGC - Appling, GA
Steady Ed @ IDGC - Appling, GA
Pendleton King Park - Augusta, GA
Lake Russell - Elberton, GA
Meeks Park - Blairsville, GA
Waynesville Rec Center - Waynesville, NC
Richmond Hill - Asheville, NC
Crooked Creek Park - Chapin, SC

Nice story! I don't remember your travel story from when you came through here, haha.:confused:...:p

Nice story! I don't remember your travel story from when you came through here, haha.:confused:...:p

Maybe next time! :D

I do still work for that company out in Redmond, so its likely I'll be flown out there again eventually. Looking forward to it, but hopefully in summer months when the weather is nicest there. :thmbup:

I do recall seeing tourney results from Kitsap Fairgrounds course recently. From the high scores it appeared they added more holes? Is it more than 18 now or did they just make it really long for the tourney?

Awesome story.

It's always great to see how much someone enjoyed driving right past Stoney Hill.

No, just kidding, awesome story.

Though it would have been a tad better with stories of how the stroller's air bags came into play on one of the more treacherous sloping paths.

I see you didn't mention offering any re-design tips to Houck & Duvall.

Looks like a nice DG trip despite the weather. Technical note: Mad Professor is one of several named layouts on the Steady Ed course. Jackson only has one layout.

Looks like a nice DG trip despite the weather. Technical note: Mad Professor is one of several named layouts on the Steady Ed course. Jackson only has one layout.

:doh:
Actually, now that you mention that, you're right. My mistake. I had the conversation with the pro shop guy about it on Saturday morning just before heading out on WR Jackson and he handed me a scorecard which I just put in my bag since I use a phone app to keep score, so not having looked at that card and trying to remember over 2 weeks ago already and there ya have it!

Awesome story.

It's always great to see how much someone enjoyed driving right past Stoney Hill.

:D when we woke up in Greenville, SC and it was pouring rain I was immediately scheming and calculating all my alternate options and drive times to see what might work best. Stoney Hill was like a bat signal in the sky that I could see as soon as we got south of Greenville. :D It just came down to time and what to do with the wife n' kids while playing, plus I hadn't followed private course etiquette and arranged in advance, etc. I'm looking forward to visiting though someday, for sure.

Although I didn't play Timmons Park in Greenville, SC like I had planned, I'm really glad I played Crooked Creek. It was a cool course.

My advice to John and Harold was simply to keep doing what they're doing. :thmbup:

Last edited:

Haha I suppose you would know Chuck, I didn't think there were multiple placements at Jackson.

Going to try and hit up the IDGC next week or maybe the Hippo. Always fun to go to Augusta. Which is funny, because as a HS baseball player I loathed that drive.

:D when we woke up in Greenville, SC and it was pouring rain I was immediately scheming and calculating all my alternate options and drive times to see what might work best. Stoney Hill was like a bat signal in the sky that I could see as soon as we got south of Greenville. :D It just came down to time and what to do with the wife n' kids while playing, plus I hadn't followed private course etiquette and arranged in advance, etc. I'm looking forward to visiting though someday, for sure.

Although I didn't play Timmons Park in Greenville, SC like I had planned, I'm really glad I played Crooked Creek. It was a cool course.

My advice to John and Harold was simply to keep doing what they're doing. :thmbup:

So I missed the chance to disappoint you, by telling it wasn't available?

Sigh.

Crooked Creek is nice wooded course. I play it almost as much as Stoney Hill, because I have a lot of activities in that area, and because I don't find myself muttering, "Play? or Work?" It's also vastly more stroller-friendly.

Shame you missed Timmons but you definitely got in some great courses! :thmbup:

Technical note: Mad Professor is one of several named layouts on the Steady Ed course. Jackson only has one layout.

BTW, Fine work on Steady Ed course there sir. :thmbup:

I'm glad I got to play it in one of the toughest layouts. Any idea what a 68 would yield rating wise on that layout? My rating fluctuates between 925 - 940 and sometimes when travelling and playing solo I haven't a clue how my round would stack up against similar rated players in the area.

In UDisc App I had course par at 67. Hole 2 was posted as a par 4 I believe? maybe?, but I got a 2 on that one which was nice. I shot +2 on front 9, -1 on back 9 with hole 11 being my only bogey on the back. It felt like a decent round for me. Probably my best round of the 3 courses without knowing what a 66 on Warner or a 76 on Jackson is rated.

I would love to play one of the tournaments there someday. That's probably how I'll get to come back again. Wife and kids weren't too impressed by Augusta.. It will have to be a DG tourney trip with some friends next time.

I'm originally from the Augusta area (Aiken, SC), and currently live in the upstate so it's cool hearing about someone else's trip through my stomping grounds. I was actually at the IDGC for the tournament they had coming up (the IDGC Am Champs is what I'm guessing you're referring to). It's definitely becoming a disc golf destination with the IDGC courses, Fort Gordon courses, Augusta courses and the Langley Pond/Boyd Pond combo in Aiken.

And then of course, Asheville is just awesome, great beer scene. I really need to play Richmond Hill at some point, but I have played Jackson Park in Hendersonville (not worth its own trip from Florida but if you can stop there it's a super fun course)

Cool! I still have yet to take a trip that involves that high of a quantity of courses. But nothing beat the time I bumped into Ricky Wysocki in Mall of America last September. That was cool. Then played BRP and VQ 2 days later.

Maybe next time! :D

I do still work for that company out in Redmond, so its likely I'll be flown out there again eventually. Looking forward to it, but hopefully in summer months when the weather is nicest there. :thmbup:

I do recall seeing tourney results from Kitsap Fairgrounds course recently. From the high scores it appeared they added more holes? Is it more than 18 now or did they just make it really long for the tourney?

Kitsap Fairgrounds is the same, and it only has one layout. I wonder if you saw scores from the Kitsap Classic. It was this past weekend, and was 27 holes this year and set on a ball golf course. Par was 95. Kyle Crabtree killed it with a -22 in the first round. The last tourney at Kitsap Fairgrounds was last summer, and the scores were not that great, so maybe it was that one. Here's the link. http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/25022 Hope to see you this summer!

BTW, Fine work on Steady Ed course there sir. :thmbup:

I'm glad I got to play it in one of the toughest layouts. Any idea what a 68 would yield rating wise on that layout? My rating fluctuates between 925 - 940 and sometimes when travelling and playing solo I haven't a clue how my round would stack up against similar rated players in the area.

In UDisc App I had course par at 67. Hole 2 was posted as a par 4 I believe? maybe?, but I got a 2 on that one which was nice. I shot +2 on front 9, -1 on back 9 with hole 11 being my only bogey on the back. It felt like a decent round for me. Probably my best round of the 3 courses without knowing what a 66 on Warner or a 76 on Jackson is rated.

I would love to play one of the tournaments there someday. That's probably how I'll get to come back again. Wife and kids weren't too impressed by Augusta.. It will have to be a DG tourney trip with some friends next time.
I show Mad Prof as Blue Par 67 at 7495' and SSA at 59 for 1000 rating in tournament play. The only tougher layout is "Steady to the Max" with all pins in the B position at Blue Par 70 and 8145'. I think they only use that for the Ironman event there perhaps in June.

Next time you're in Columbia and are looking for more of a challenge than Crooked Creek check out South East Park. It's on the south side of town right off of I77. Also, stop in Soda City Disc Golf or Columbia Disc Golf facebook page and let us know you're in town!

Waynesville Rec Park is my home course, and all I can say is that I can't imagine how poorly I would perceive it having just played the IDGC courses. And that's without getting lost in the transition from 1 to 2 and from 9 to 10! Hope you at least hit up Boojum or Tipping Point in downtown Waynesville to wash away the taste.

Latest posts