• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Drives

I had missed this one completely being in Holland for dubs and filming the Dutch Open.

I'd call your execution speed and form control shot if it weren't for the run up steps before the x step. I don't think that run up gives you much advantage but it could very well put you at a disadvantage. You should be able to throw equally far with just the x step once you accelerate the arm harder. And move the legs faster with the x and the plant step. Your arm is moving at a fairly constant speed and fairly slowly. You need to get the arm moving fast so you should train that first train that from stand still concentrating on moving the arm as fast as possible.

The plant step is a foot too long for that speed so you shouldn't kick the right leg toward the target from the hip when your chest points 90 degrees left of the target.

Your arm is far away from the body all the time and it works for some because it is easier to snap harder when the muscles are looser but the angles to make the wrist snap fully are much more difficult to make happen. Because it takes much more power to get similar wrist snap when pulling away from the chest. The elbow should lead the rest of the am a nit further to get to the angles at the elbow and the wrist where the max snap happens. Right pec position and right pec drill are the usual starting points.

Your arm height at the reach back is the highest of the throw and you go lowest at the middle of the throw and release on an upward arm motion from that lowest point. That is why your disc rises fast and is nose up and probably semi or fully stalls high too early. If you keep the arm at a constant height you'll lower the apex of the flight and have the disc flying faster on average fading later and going farther. This is major and you really should train this a lot. There's a lot of D available from this change.

You don't generate a lot of power from the hips and the shoulders. They are at neutral position fairly quickly after the reach back but you don't really turn them to the left for added power and distance.

Your run up distance and plant step planting position are aligned for a flat shot but your arm moved mostly on hyzers. For a flat release you need to only correct the arm plane. For a hyzer throw the running direction should be rear right to front left and the plant position should move a little to the left according to the angle of the hyzer. Mild hyzer needs to move less to the left in the plant position and a steep hyzer more.

Can you stiffen the muscles in the left leg a little more so that you would pivot rotating to the left more instead of stepping forward?

It seems that your body is tad forward on release and you're losing some power. Also, your arm doesn't seem to be straight and parallel with the ground all the time. I did the same thing when I first started and I've noticed a distance gain by making my arm straighter and coming across my chest tight and on the plane of my shoulder. It seemed that once I got this down it lended itself to hitting harder and feeling the same sensation of the right pec drill.

Current situation: my practice field is a sinkhole and it's been raining for a week.

Thanks for the continued input, guys. I've been through some changes since I posted this video, but nothing significant enough for me to post a new one for critique. Good weather and the end of the spring semester will be a good chance for me to get in some more practice.

I might have just experienced something significant. Result: my left tricep is TIGHT.

I started with putters in a small field by my house. I exerted a sort of "pump" with my arm going into the throw, which basically gave me the feeling and control of moving the arm (instead of allowing it so sling around my body), which I then employed to PULL my arm through the throw. I had some freakish putter drives that sailed over a fence. not sure the distance, but it was a solid 30-40' more than my average putter drives). Things I noticed: greater control/accuracy, better distance. I was actually able to gather up all my putters within a 25' circle, which is new.

So I took some drivers out afterward (and moved to a different open area), and voila! My drives were moving faster and farther. However, the nose up issues that you all have mentioned were still there (and my discs were still generally going farther). Nose up fixers: wrist extension and weight forward, right?

I'm going to spend some more time with this and then I'll post a video.

So you already have loads of advice to keep in mind when practicing and your hopefully having some sort of a breakthrough. Just a couple things about nose up issues from my troubles. You can have wrist extension and weight forward and still have nose up if you have a poor grip. If your grip is good then definitely work on some wrist extension. Bradley's predator drill works well for that and even just becoming conscious of it while practicing will help. I wouldn't worry to much though about weight forward as in your videos you could tell you did have your weight forward.

Congratulations those are great results for such a short period of time!!!

Also pushing the wrist down actively about when or a little after elbow starts to straighten. Along with the constant altitude. Everyone is different so you should also try different arm pull heights to see where you can push the nose down the easiest. Overkill exercise would be to intentionally reach back high and release slow. Worm burner country. Thereafter you can lower the reach back or raise the rip point or both until you're at your best arm pull height.

Here is a long video of me snapping a pair of boxers in my pajamas. I went with standstills this time so I could stay in the shot. I know that if I try a run up, a lot of body positions won't translate. Let me know what you see here, and I'll put up a full drive video in the next couple days.

Some basic info because I was in a rush earlier:

Drives are in the 400' range max. I don't drive anything faster than a Valkyrie/OLF because I don't snap the wide rims well.

For this video my stance is staggered, with my lead hip (left) "closed off" a little, with my foot at a ~45 degree angle from the target. I notice that sometimes my wrist orientation is just totally off, but I'm positive it's a result of not having a disc in my hand. I know I'm not getting a resounding pop (which may be because of the boxers) but I do feel like I'm getting wrist extension, which to me means that I'm not getting enough late acceleration.

My BIGGEST issue, though, which you will see later, is that even if I am getting some wrist extension, I never get the chance to engage it on a full drive. I can feel my drives slip early and my wrist basically extends once the disc is gone.

I can't produce the kind of bang with a towel like the top pros do but your's is more of a woosh than a pop. Can't tell much about towel drills but you aren't turning the hips and the shoulders past neutral in the throw. Mirroring the reach back would be good with the hip twist and shoulder turn to the right. As it is you're not generating enough power there.

So...more twist at the hips? Point them more away from the target?

And when you say that I'm not turning my shoulders past neutral, is that in the reachback, or the follow through?

fanter said:

And when you say that I'm not turning my shoulders past neutral, is that in the reachback, or the follow through?

You're still in the realm of "nothing will make a huge difference because you're not getting good snap". The towel drill really doesn't teach you how to snap a disc. A new vid of your throw would help, but it seems likely your hit isn't far enough ahead of your midline and you're not building the proper wrist tension because you're pulling early. Doing the towel drill too much, incorrectly, seems like it can actually reinforce bad mechanics.

CatPredator said:
You're still in the realm of "nothing will make a huge difference because you're not getting good snap". The towel drill really doesn't teach you how to snap a disc. A new vid of your throw would help, but it seems likely your hit isn't far enough ahead of your midline and you're not building the proper wrist tension because you're pulling early. Doing the towel drill too much, incorrectly, seems like it can actually reinforce bad mechanics.

I know you're right. I feel like I'm in the realm of "Still trying to understand this shit after a year or so of reading and watching videos and hoping that I've comprehended and interpreted correctly the information that I've taken in, then hoping that I've applied it correctly, because there really aren't any good teachers in the area with whom I can work one-on-one." Maybe you've been there.

fanter said:

You're fine in the reach back because you do twist the hips and turn the shoulders in the reach back. Look at yourself in the video possible frame by frame to see how you stop the hips and shoulders to the resting position when you come from the reach back to the right pec position. From the right pec position onward you should twist the hips and turn the shoulders in the other direction as in the reach back. That adds a lot of acceleration and distance. That is why you should emphasize the quickness of the twisting of the hips from the right pec position to the hit. The shoulders should turn even closer toward the target than the hips. No free rides. Work those muscles for added power.

So it's not just the follow through where you need to twist the hips and turn the shoulders. Twisting and turning far in the follow through is crucial in disc angle management and ultimate power generation. I'd argue that even more important is to allow the momentum to be dissipated smoothly over a longer period of time to save the body from excess strain.

I know you look too skinny to have that kind of booty. That part of your form looks assmazing.

I've been focusing on some things, mainly footwork and weight shift. I noticed that I've been way off balance, I've never really "pushed" with my back foot, and I've hardly ever activated my hips in my throw. I also noticed, while practicing some drives, that I take a pretty big cross step, so that my weight has actually been BEHIND my cross step, which obviously makes getting my weight forward very difficult.

I did some more towel work today (because I broke a window throwing discs in the field last week), forcing myself to stay over my cross step so that I could drive myself forward with that foot, twisting with my hips as I did so, while maintaining a loose arm in the left pec area (LHBH). Out of ~150 reps, I had about 6 or 7 that really cracked like a pop gun firing. They became more frequent in the later reps.

I know, as emiller and CatPredator have noted before, that cracking a towel isn't the same as snapping a disc. I'm positive, at least, that my form should be a little cleaner from now on.

I'm going to (maybe) rest a day or two and then come back to it, hopefully I'll be able to up the amount of times I can crack it.

The more you lean back the more you have power generation potential. The key is to still get weight up or forward from the long leaning back. The faster you move forward the easier it is to shift the weight from a deeper leaning back. The stronger you push the left leg the more you can lean back. Timings will change with more initial weight back leaning. Everyone has different muscles etc. so you have to find your current optimum.

Thanks for the responses, JR. I'll definitely experiment with a deeper lean-back more once I've become a little more consistent.

Latest posts