• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving like a newbie or worse!

Speaking of GRIP, I haven't been seriously look into that until just recently and have questions regarding the grip.

Most all videos recommend a four finger bottom grip with the thumb on top close to edge where the top of the disc is stiff.

Since I've started playing weeks ago, I've been throwing with three fingers under while my index finger rests (comfortable hand position) on the side of the disc. Now I've spotted a video that shows that exact hand position just for putting.

So now I'm thinking I better redo and learn to throw with four fingers on the bottom of the disc and perhaps that will enable me to gain some distance when throwing ?
General consensus is that having the index on the outside rim robs you of power. Some use it for putting or low power throws.

Everybody's hands are different. Try out a bunch of grips and don't be afraid to adjust/change your grip as you change your throw.

Some of the longest throwers use a two finger grip. Others use four.

I'm not all that good, but I've found that I get better results using one grip for mids and slower and a different grip for fairways and faster. Find what works for you.

This thread has gone on for a while with lots of good advice, but I want to add one thing missing concerning distance/driving. Are you planning on going pro? If not, then huge distance shouldn't be that important. Yes, I would like to throw 400-500 feet. But, the courses I play rarely have holes that long...and when the hole is that long a 250 foot throw gets me to the basket in two shots - so I can make par with a 250 foot throw. Even a 1000 foot par 5 is 'doable' with a 250 foot max throw. Accuracy and consistency are the most important things to focus on. Accuracy is my number one issue.....it doesn't help throwing 250 feet, if your throw is off line and your 250 foot throw still leaves you a 100 foot approach to the basket.

This thread has gone on for a while with lots of good advice, but I want to add one thing missing concerning distance/driving. Are you planning on going pro? If not, then huge distance shouldn't be that important. Yes, I would like to throw 400-500 feet. But, the courses I play rarely have holes that long...and when the hole is that long a 250 foot throw gets me to the basket in two shots - so I can make par with a 250 foot throw. Even a 1000 foot par 5 is 'doable' with a 250 foot max throw. Accuracy and consistency are the most important things to focus on. Accuracy is my number one issue.....it doesn't help throwing 250 feet, if your throw is off line and your 250 foot throw still leaves you a 100 foot approach to the basket.
Totally agree, it's all about accuracy more than distance, however I'm only reaching slightly more than 100 feet so I'm trying to extend on that as well as better accuracy and consistency.

You don't need pro aspirations to throw far, it's fun to field practice long drives and makes shot shaping hitting lines drastically easier in the woods. I'm basically a meh level intermediate player and I out drive lots of my local pros. To reinforce your point though, I may park a hole they can't reach and I'll miss my very short putt and they won't miss their upshot or putt and my long drive becomes immediately irrelevant.

The main enormous advantage of practicing long drives and perfecting drive form is reduced effort to throw, it takes me 100+ high power throws to start feeling any sort of weakness and I strive to push past that every week. I usually get tired of walking long before I feel like I'm done throwing hard for the day. Some dudes I play with who strong arm discs seem to get weak before 18 holes and won't dare play the 5 round battles I have with sidewinder.

For power grip, I don't think you want your index finger on the rim. I do index finger on the rim WITH A FAN GRIP, which I use for putters. I definitely consider that more of a control grip, and less of a power grip. Power grip, 4 finger is common, or 3 finger, but 3 finger is with the pinkie kind of mostly backed out, not adding to the grip. I find both of those about equal for me. I tried 2 finger, but it just felt weird to me, like not enough control of disc. I do think, to a large degree, try multiple grips, various grips, move disc and/or thumb forward or back, and see what works best for you. I notice a difference in power grip vs fan grip for sure, but otherwise, using various power grips, finger positions, etc., they mostly all seem about the same to me. Sometimes I even put my pinkie out against the bottom of the flight plate, to see if it helps stabilize a disc that I may often accidentally hyzer, but still throw differences seem negligible. I think main thing about power grip is just making sure you get the throw with the disc nose down.

Totally agree, it's all about accuracy more than distance, however I'm only reaching slightly more than 100 feet so I'm trying to extend on that as well as better accuracy and consistency.
I think improving form does both. I have been improving form, and I notice both distance increases, as well as improvements in consistency. Maybe consistency is not exactly the same as accuracy, but I consider it in the ballpark. I am not exactly more accurate, but I definitely have fewer throws that go way left, way right, into the sky or the ground. Those used to be very common for me, and they are becoming pretty rare.

Speaking of GRIP, I haven't been seriously look into that until just recently and have questions regarding the grip.

Most all videos recommend a four finger bottom grip with the thumb on top close to edge where the top of the disc is stiff.
Not an expert here, this is just what I think today. Tomorrow might be different.

The grip must allow for a nose down release. for most people that is in line with the forearm and on plane. If your wrist doesn't have enough flexibility (there's another cause too) for four fingers, use less. I can get nose down with three but not four.

I don't think that idea is controversial. This second one might be. Ideally you want the disc to rip out, rather than you consciously letting go. So the second function of the grip has to allow that. If your arm speed is slow, the disc doesn't have enough inertia to rip out from a strong grip. When your arm speed gets fast eventually, you probably have to increase grip power to hold on.

Not an expert here, this is just what I think today. Tomorrow might be different.

The grip must allow for a nose down release. for most people that is in line with the forearm and on plane. If your wrist doesn't have enough flexibility (there's another cause too) for four fingers, use less. I can get nose down with three but not four.

I don't think that idea is controversial. This second one might be. Ideally you want the disc to rip out, rather than you consciously letting go. So the second function of the grip has to allow that. If your arm speed is slow, the disc doesn't have enough inertia to rip out from a strong grip. When your arm speed gets fast eventually, you probably have to increase grip power to hold on.
I'm no expert, but that sounds pretty accurate to me. I was definitely letting go as a beginner, and I am not 100% sure, because I have too many other things I focus on right now, to make sure I do them right, but I think I may just now be getting to where the disc is starting to have enough speed to rip out. One more thing to add to my list of something to focus on after my muscle memory locks in the current 4-5 things! Who knew throwing a frisbee could be every bit as complicated as ball golf?!!

I remember going from a 3 to 4 finger 'power grip' and gaining yardage immediately. YMMV, but give it a go!

Not sure if this video is of any value, however I did play today and my part just happened to video me without me knowing it. Not sure if this is close enough to detect my form (or lack thereof ) but I can see I'm not fully turning my head back when reading back to throw.

Attachments

• 1000000922.mov
    19.2 MB
I could not get it to open.
Maybe put it on youtube, or on some sharing photo site?

Second thought, video is critical to improving, because we aren't doing what we think we're doing. Even what I do in the mirror is not what shows up on video. So, yes, share a video if you want some feedback. The Form and Analysis forum is a good place. And it's a great place for something else.

You can detect a lot of your own faults if you know what to look for. One of the best ways to learn that is hang out on the Form and Analysis forum and read the threads of people who are newbies like you. See what advice the pro's give them, and what teaching videos are shared. Don't watch the threads like "I'm stuck at 475 and I want to get to 500" because they have solved all the problems you have. Watch the threads like "Can't get past 250, my form sucks" instead. (Because if they haven't used a measuring tape, that 250 is more like 175 max and 125 average)

Wait, I got it to open.

You are rounding badly and throwing off your back leg, also leading with your head instead of your butt. But you look surprisingly coordinated.

Stop, do not pass go, take the Ace It 5 video series course by Brychanus who posts over on the Technique and Strategy and Form and Analysis threads. That will put you on the right track. You also need to watch the sidewinder22 videos but start with Ace It.

Here's the first one, it will get you started.

I could not get it to open.
Maybe put it on youtube, or on some sharing photo site?

Second thought, video is critical to improving, because we aren't doing what we think we're doing. Even what I do in the mirror is not what shows up on video. So, yes, share a video if you want some feedback. The Form and Analysis forum is a good place. And it's a great place for something else.

You can detect a lot of your own faults if you know what to look for. One of the best ways to learn that is hang out on the Form and Analysis forum and read the threads of people who are newbies like you. See what advice the pro's give them, and what teaching videos are shared. Don't watch the threads like "I'm stuck at 475 and I want to get to 500" because they have solved all the problems you have. Watch the threads like "Can't get past 250, my form sucks" instead. (Because if they haven't used a measuring tape, that 250 is more like 175 max and 125 average)
As a newbie, 5 months, I agree about video of yourself being critical. Trying to improve before videos of my throws was like butting my head against a wall. I thought I was doing things right, and the first video was shocking - my throw was so much different (aka worse) than what I thought I was doing! I would have swore I was throwing straight through a power pocket, but I was rounding every throw! I learn here, and by watching tons of videos of pros and trainers, then compare video of me to what I know proper form should look like. I have been through at least 4-5 sessions of watching me, then attempting to correct my errors, and so far I always find more correction that is needed! I have crept up from 200' max, to 225', 245', to now about 265'. Obviously still a work in progress! My regular distance, probably 225', but my best distance discs are regularly 225-250', and 265-275' every now and again. My distances are accurate - no inflated numbers. I have measured at my practice field to be sure, and I am seeing the gains on the course, too. After a long time struggling for gains, video of my throws combined with lots of study and practice to improve form has netted results where, lately, every round I play, I set new distance bests. I also finally notice a common result I read about - I am throwing easier, using less arm, and still making gains! I had to slow down to try to correct form, and the result is I am adding gains from my body, and doing less strong arming. Still more of the same progress needed, but making gains sure makes the game more fun!

Wait, I got it to open.

You are rounding badly and throwing off your back leg, also leading with your head instead of your butt. But you look surprisingly coordinated.

Stop, do not pass go, take the Ace It 5 video series course by Brychanus who posts over on the Technique and Strategy and Form and Analysis threads. That will put you on the right track. You also need to watch the sidewinder22 videos but start with Ace It.

Thank you for your

Wait, I got it to open.

Thanks for your comments and the the YouTube video and I will work on my technique after watching a bunch more online. Not sure what "rounding" is but I'm guessing it was upper body leaning down when I was throwing. I didn't realize I'm throwing off my back leg but will try to determine how the process involves just the front leg. Much to learn and I certainly understand I'm not doing it since my distance throws are just barely breaking 100 feet.

Im using a 5 or 7 speed disc and getting the same distance with either one. Would getting a lighter disc help me until I'm able to develop the correct technique?

Thanks for your comments and the the YouTube video and I will work on my technique after watching a bunch more online. Not sure what "rounding" is but I'm guessing it was upper body leaning down when I was throwing. I didn't realize I'm throwing off my back leg but will try to determine how the process involves just the front leg. Much to learn and I certainly understand I'm not doing it since my distance throws are just barely breaking 100 feet.

Im using a 5 or 7 speed disc and getting the same distance with either one. Would getting a lighter disc help me until I'm able to develop the correct technique?
Rounding is your arm making a semi-circle around your body, which takes away power and makes left-right targeting very erratic. Proper throw is more the disc going in an almost straight line, starting with a long straight reach back behind you, coming through as close as possible to your chest, and following a straight line out until it hopefully rips out of your hand, on a straight line where you are aiming your throw.

I could not open your video - I only get black screen…. Sharing off the posts only, and keep in mind I am a relative newbie, too. Throwing off back leg was an issue I had, and fixing it got me at least 20' more distance, and I felt more power in my throw. You want to plant your front foot first, then start your throw, first hips, shoulders follow, and arm goes last. It takes some getting used to, but it will help - it is better technique for sure. To get this working, slow down your throw/arm. Very common for us beginners - we hurry to throw, but need to wait until our feet get in position, and also then let our body lead our arm. When you get it right, you will feel more power in your throw, coming from your body, and you will use your arm less. The body moves the arm into the power pocket, and only then do you throw with the arm.

Rounding is your arm making a semi-circle around your body, which takes away power and makes left-right targeting very erratic. Proper throw is more the disc going in an almost straight line, starting with a long straight reach back behind you, coming through as close as possible to your chest, and following a straight line out until it hopefully rips out of your hand, on a straight line where you are aiming your throw.
Okay, what you've mentioned is exactly what I've been doing thinking there's more arm power with a wide throw. I wI'll now focus on keeping the motion closer to my body. Thanks

I think there's a trap here that's very common, even if we're using right terms. (warning, philosophical alert)

That is to ask what I'm doing wrong, rather than what I should do right. I think we all do it to some extent.

I didn't define rounding or offer a correction; rather I suggested a short course of 5 videos, about 10 minutes each, that explain the basic principles of a good throw.

Every ball golf magazine is full of tips that will fix your swing, and none of them ever work. That is because those tips are each designed to fix one specific fault in an otherwise good swing, and the average ball golfer doesn't know what a good swing is, because he's never done one.

And we also have our own learning styles - the results oriented "Inner Tennis" approach fits some, the method oriented biomechanics and force vector analysis fits others.

But I digress.

Anyway, rounding is any time the disc can't see the target because it got pulled behind you. This drill will fix it:

And back leg throwing is what it sounds like, weight on the back leg and front shoulder higher - or worse, squishing the bug. This drill will fix it:

But you still have to have a mental image of what "right" looks like it.