• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance putting tips - aim compensation

Jungle Tim

Birdie Member
Was wondering what ,if any, tips people might have for distance putting.

I have no real reliable method to picking an aiming point that compensates for putter hyzer over distance, i was wondering if anyone can suggest a good rule of thumb?

Any methods people use to help calculate this?

I have heard the following from a few local "pro's"

For RHBH, every 10 feet you are away from the basket, aim to next chain length out. For instance if you are 40 feet, you will aim to the 4th chain length from the pole if you are a hyzer putter. I really haven't experimented with it, but it seems like it would work in theory. Maybe you could give that a try.

I've just started focusing on aiming higher too. When I'm close in, I aim for a chain link towards the middle. Out about 20-30 feet, I aim at the top of the chain. Beyond that I'll aim for the top of the basket itself or even will pick a spot above the basket to aim for.

I really feel like it comes from putting in the work and just having a feel for different distances. Can't really offer any tips.

This really depends on the stability of the disc and your putting style/power/speed... For longer putts, just get to know exactly what your disc will do and take it from there.
I tend to putt with a very slight anhyzer a lot and will just slightly adjust the angle of release to compensate for the distance if necessary. I never generally aim anywhere other than my intended target though.

As with all putts, it helps to visualize the putt before actually putting. My style/aim changes a bit when I'm outside the circle.

Inside the circle I am at dead center of the pole, visualizing the slight arc the disc will take as I push it towards the basket. When I'm outside of the circle, between 35 and 45 feet, I tend to play the break/fade on the disc more. I will aim at a spot above and to the right of the basket where I want the putter to die out and then crash into the chains. I'll usually add a little extra finger spring to the push to make sure the disc gets there. Between 45 and 65 feet I give the putter as much finger spring as I can and once again aim directly at the basket. The extra finger spring puts a lot of forward momentum and spin on the putter so it flies a more direct line, so with those putts I just aim at the basket again and make sure my hand is pointed directly at the basket when I spring the putter out.

I really feel like it comes from putting in the work and just having a feel for different distances. Can't really offer any tips.

Truth.

I was never an "aim at that one single link" kinda guy, and was always better running it from 40+ then sinking 30 footers for most of my DC career...in the past two or three years that has changed (for the better) but it was always just a "feel" thing. If the space allowed for it, I would LOVEE to run it with a slow, gliding anny and would sink a surprisingly large amount of deep ones with it (BB baseline plastic putters of sorts..JK Aviar, Wizard, Focus, etc.). At those distances it was usually more of a throw than a putt, but now I actually putt from the same distance [if that was unclear I spin putt from 40+, not throw RHBH].

I do switch to a spin putt style the farther out I go, because you just simply cannot reach from the distance without it (or if you can it's not easy). Have you seen that Feldberg putting clinic where he compares push putting and spin putting? Your aim shouldn't really differ much between the two different shots even though you'll probably be spin putting from deep - hope some of that helps. I could keep going but I gotta accomplish some stuff other than DGCR:D

Wise words from all. I totally appreciate that there is no formula for a good putt, but i do like to have a 'method' that i attempt to use, inside 30 I'm pretty comfy, but outside .. ugh.

where might i find the feldberg video?
I can only find a private video version on you tube..

thx

edit; I throw the focus

Just recently i have expanded my putting confidence outside the circle by focusing on my hips.
The new dg monthly with nikko shows what im talking about (its when hes talking to the big guy).

I find practicing different styles helps me focus or remind me of the importance of all movements.
Cam todds style made me focus on kicking up and finger spring. Dave's made me focus on timing of arm and leg. Barry's had me focus on feet and release angle. Kennys jump putt and nikkos hip sprawl has me expieramentent with different hip and leg movements....

I've switched to a lighter putter for 25' + putts. I went down from 175 to 165 gram. I am hitting more long putts and the lighter putter seems to glide more for me. When it's windy though, I switch back to the heavier putter. I'm not going to make many long putts anyway in a big wind.

Latest posts