• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do big people have a natural distance advantage?

Uhhh, did I say anything other than perfect world situations? I have repeatedly said that mechanics matter, but given the exact same mechanics the taller thrower will throw farther. Sheesh, can't you just accept that as a fact? Its like you have a reverse napoleon complex, defensive about being tall.

On the other side, which I have not argued yet, what about in the real world? No matter what your mechanics level, how many people ever thought to themselves "damn, I really wish I was shorter so I could be more coordinated". Step up guys, who has had that thought?

You said if you were taller you would throw farther.

If it is, go ahead and do one of those bone breaking and stretching regimens and come back in a year when you are 4" taller and tell us how much distance you gained.

I think that both sides of this argument are forgetting the element of quickness and explosiveness. Tall or big without quickness doesnt help.

Thank you! I would also like to add that length of limbs actually works against explosiveness. That's why most sprinters aren't particularly tall. It's also why the guards on a basketball team are smaller than the post players.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that heavy-set people, whether they be chunky, beefy, spongy, or whatever, tend to be less flexible than thin people. And I'd be surprised if anyone doubted that flexibility is advantageous in disc golf.

Just look at Avery vs Nikko. They have 2 completely different body types and can both throw farther than 90% of the people who play

Don't know about Nikko but I know Avery weight trains like crazy. To me Avery is kind of like Tiger Woods hitting out of the rough. He has the raw power to do shots that others simply can't.

But bottom line is I think fit and in shape is your best bet :D. If nothing else be in shape. I'm def. not what I would call fit but nowadays I rarely get tired out on the course.

There is so much technique that is only in the hand, and wrist. That is SO hard to teach, that are the keys to full hits. Proper timing up to the wrist collapse, to get tendon bounce. Proper timing coming on your grip so that the disc doesn't slip out during the transition from wrist collapse to wrist neutral, then proper timing to start assisting the wrist from the neutral position to the wrist extension. Proper timing of the grip into the hit at the extension, and into the follow through. THESE, are the keys to go from half hitting at 420-450ish and hitting 500-700'. I don't care what type of body type you have, you can't do this, you'll never get distance.

There is so much technique that is only in the hand, and wrist. That is SO hard to teach, that are the keys to full hits. Proper timing up to the wrist collapse, to get tendon bounce. Proper timing coming on your grip so that the disc doesn't slip out during the transition from wrist collapse to wrist neutral, then proper timing to start assisting the wrist from the neutral position to the wrist extension. Proper timing of the grip into the hit at the extension, and into the follow through. THESE, are the keys to go from half hitting at 420-450ish and hitting 500-700'. I don't care what type of body type you have, you can't do this, you'll never get distance.

I would LOVE to see a slow-motion video essay of this stuff!

Here's what you need in order of importance:

1. Timing
2. Experience
3. Flexibility
4. fitness
5. speed
6. Strength
7. weight/height (size)

The more of these you have the farther you will be able to throw. Most people are missing about three or four things. Nikko is missing #7 but probably makes up for it with his speed and timing. Avery is probably not too flexible. Emac is probably the most flexible top pro out there.

I would LOVE to see a slow-motion video essay of this stuff!

That's the problem, so much of what happens in the wrist can only be seen at full speed. You'd need expensive camera's like they use on The History Channel, or Discovery Channel to be able to demonstrate it properly. Because, you can't walk through it, it has to be shown on a full speed throw.

My point is people with more size have an advantage but may not have the best timing, flexibility, or speed so in the end it's all relative.

...Another thing I'd like to point out is that heavy-set people, whether they be chunky, beefy, spongy, or whatever, tend to be less flexible than thin people...

Is now pondering which of these I qualify for. I'd prefer to just say that I'm cuddly. ;)

They're not talking about relative here. But, I still disagree. If you're talking about "ultimate" as in the best, then yes I agree what you said is probably the best way to achieve the best distance. But, I don't think that height is necessarily going to help or hurt you. Unless you're talking extremes, but again we're not. I'd say the average height is the best, with all the things you listed, Sidewinding.

I got a lot of weight and trust me, it aint helping one lick.

I'll tell you what does help though. Small nipples. Why, if you have big nipples and its cold out; them snagging your disc as it goes past your chest will really kill distance.

I played a round with Kelly Green a few years back - he was 13 years old at the time, maybe 85 pounds soaking wet and prolly 4'8" or so. Cussing like a sailor because his drives weren't up to his "normal" 450-foot range. He was so light that I could see his body rotating around the common center of gravity as the disc swung around, and he sure as h3ll didn't have any kind of wingspan ...

That's the problem, so much of what happens in the wrist can only be seen at full speed. You'd need expensive camera's like they use on The History Channel, or Discovery Channel to be able to demonstrate it properly. Because, you can't walk through it, it has to be shown on a full speed throw.

Cook up the right myth, and maybe we can get the Mythbusters people to use their high-speed cameras. :thmbup:

"Thank you! I would also like to add that length of limbs actually works against explosiveness. That's why most sprinters aren't particularly tall. It's also why the guards on a basketball team are smaller than the post players."

usain bolt is 6'5" just saying, fastest man in the world

Latest posts