• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do fans pay to watch major tournaments in person?

I've been to the USDGC a handful of times and the two most memorable times were 2013 watching Feldberg making a charge on Brinster only to mess up on 18. He was throwing an absolute clean round and it was the first year of his Trilogy switch.

The second, my dad and I followed like the 3rd or 4th card and watched Barry throw a very quiet and clean round that took him to finishing in the top 5 I believe. Barry wasn't throwing any flashy shots, but he was putting everything exactly where he wanted it.

Outside of that...I really am kind of meh on watching most of the pros.

There were always those guys. You would be in a Tuesday night softball league and everybody was going to a bar to watch the All-Star game and that guy would go "oh, I just like to play ball. I don't like to watch baseball." So you would have to overcome the urge to punch him as you were packing up to head for the bar and make fun of him while you watched baseball.

Yeah, I'm that guy. Disc golf is fun to play. I've been playing for a long time. I'm not paying to watch anybody do anything with a Frisbee. It's just not happening. If I was new to the sport? Perhaps. If I hadn't already accidentally seen world champions and distance record holders for free back in the day at events I was playing in? Maybe. If I wasn't old enough to be these top players dad? Possibly. I'm not going to do it, though.

I agree. I volunteer for the Memorial and enjoy seeing the pros throw. But if I didn't volunteer, I wouldn't go spectate at the tournament....even for free. I'd be out playing a course somewhere else.